Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Improving the Forums

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Once you've earned a rank you've earned a rank. If you want to use it or not is up to you.

2. I dunno, I think this is something the roleplayers should encourage and not be something for the staff to take care of. If one of is around we generally have no issues enforcing an edict set forth by the first poster, so long as it is reasonable.

Also please please please come back we miss you terribly

imported_Firebird1
    Originally posted by DarthHERA
    2. A suggestion -

On an entirely different idea, what about having a night of the week specifically (but not exclusively) designated as "quick post night" or something.

For example, I remember having lots of fun when there were tonnes of ppl online and the thread was moving so fast that ppl were posting even before you could type up a reply. If we had one night, say Friday for example, where you knew posters were going to be there to do "quick" threads. Kind of like a "pickup volleyball game" scenario where whoever shows up, plays. The thread/s dont have to be of earthshaking character development, but simply a chance to create and post and interact with whoever happens to be about. It would provide a chance to roleplay with ppl you dont necessarily rp with, plus you wouldnt be sitting for ages waiting for the person who is supposed to post in your other threads while you linger about wanting to do something but not being able to.

You could have specific rules for these threads like, only 2
    sentence posts - or 3 minute reply time... or something.

(I know Im MIA from SWF mostly, but am thinking of recommitting, so thought Id pipe in my thoughts)
    I'd be up for it, and I'd use Firebird for that, just for fun since obviously the fights would not be scripted into the bigger picture.
    It would be fun to get into a fight once again!

Originally posted by DarthHERA
    (I know Im MIA from SWF mostly, but am thinking of recommitting, so thought Id pipe in my thoughts)
    THINK FASTER

miss you

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Seeing that it appears we are proceeding with this new RP style here pretty soon, I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text? That way the Character discussion thread would not neccessarily be the catch all for the character histories and such.

I hope to implement the forum archive over this weekend, which I suspect will serve well to herald in the "New Age of RP" at SW-Fans.

Ishan Shade
    Originally posted by SWFans.Net
    Seeing that it appears we are proceeding with this new RP style here pretty soon, I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text? That way the Character discussion thread would not neccessarily be the catch all for the character histories and such.

I hope to implement the forum archive over this weekend, which I suspect will serve well to herald in the "New Age of RP" at SW-Fans.
    Sounds great man. I think the biography idea is a good one, any thoughts on the revamp of the board? What forums are staying/leaving?

Drin Kizael
    Originally posted by SWFans.Net
    I was curious with the new possibly dynamic structure of characters, if it would be helpful to add some user profile fields and if it would be useful for me to make the Biography field in user profiles accept more text?
    Yes. Excellent idea.

Is there any way to restructure the User details page so that the Biography appears in the blank space at the top next to the Avatar?

It's not hard for people to look down at the bio section, but it might help it stand out more since these bios could get pretty big.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    It can be done, but I'm hesitant to lend out someone else's time.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    wow what a great idea!

I think it's fantastic that we are going to do it.

Kelt Simoson
    I think perhaps every story arc we have also a webpage should be constructed explaining the history of that year, not for every character anyway, just a generalization of what happned that perticuler year, so we can make an archive of all our 'episodes'?

Just an idea

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    That's a good idea but I think it needs to carefully implimented.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Originally posted by Ishan Shade
    Sounds great man. I think the biography idea is a good one, any thoughts on the revamp of the board? What forums are staying/leaving?
    That is a discussion that should probably be taken up by the group mods and members, with final decisions hopefully happening soon.

As far as what I have planned at this point with the archival: This forum will basically become the archive, all threads will remain but new posts and edits will not be possible as the archive will be closed to posting.

The new board will be an exact copy of this board but all threads older than six months will be removed from it, thus giving us a much needed boost in software performance.

The new forum will be found at this same URL (whichever of the current ones you use), while the archive (with everyone's old posts) will have a slightly different URL, something along the lines of:

h**p://sw-fans.net/archive/
    or
    h**p://swforums.net/archive/

Originally posted by Drin Kizael
    Yes. Excellent idea.

Is there any way to restructure the User details page so that the Biography appears in the blank space at the top next to the Avatar?

It's not hard for people to look down at the bio section, but it might help it stand out more since these bios could get pretty big.
    That is a fairly large task considering I would need to implement it over approximately 25 different style sets, but it could happen.

Kelt Simoson
    Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
    That's a good idea but I think it needs to carefully implimented.
    Aye alot of reasearch would need to be done by some of the staff in order to add some of the bigger stories of that year. Perhaps a few voulenteers would be able to keep up with the larger stories?

Or if a large story has just been completed in a thread we can have one of the participants abreveate(sp, tired) the entire thread into nuggerts of which can be placed up eventually in the archive?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
    I think perhaps every story arc we have also a webpage should be constructed explaining the history of that year, not for every character anyway, just a generalization of what happned that perticuler year, so we can make an archive of all our 'episodes'?

Just an idea
    I'm not sure about this. Perhaps keeping track of how each 'season' begins (and ends, if we go with multiple resets), yes. But I think it would be difficult to select what to write about. At least in my opinion it would be hard to pick what is and isn't 'key'. I mean, you have to think of how many characters there are, and all the little stories they weave together. Is it worthwhile including what happened to every character?

If you're going to do that, I think maybe a good idea would be to have a page with the central theme of the story arc at the top, then offer the opportunity for people to contribute a single 200 (or whatever) word paragraph of what happened to their character throughout the course of the year – perhaps allow them to link to a handful of key threads. That way, people can read through what happened in the bigger picture, and then delve further into individual characters or plots if they like.

Kelt Simoson
    Then you mean like an archive thread that people can post to, if they so wish, explaining their story of their characters for that set arc?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Well, there would be a thread for people to put their summaries into, and then the staff would copy them onto the webpage. Or something.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112