Thread: Improving the Forums

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Improving the Forums

The staff has been talking for the last few months about improving the forums; putting forth ideas to help revitalize and liven things up. We have come up with quite a bit, but there is still some things missing, and that is input and more ideas from the members themselves.

We want to know what you think might be good/fun/interesting to see here. We want to know what makes this place fun for you, and what sort of ideas you have to help make SW-Fans even better. It's the members that really make this place, and so we're asking you what sort of changes you would like to see that would make your roleplaying; and overall experience even better.

Throw out ideas no matter how crazy or simple you think they are, and we [the staff] will do our best to help accomadate and make them happen. Please realize though, that not every single idea will be accepted. This thread is meant to be a springboard of sorts for people, to bounce ideas off of one another and fine-tune things so that we can shape SW-Fans into something more unique than it already is.

Here are a few ideas that we have already come up with and are working on:

1. Writing contests with prizes for the winner(s)
    2. New default styleset
    3. Animated gif banners for different groups (ie, the Empire, NR/Rebellion/Watch)

There are more, but I don't want to spoil any surprises

So let us know what you think would help.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    Stylesheets for each of the six films would be awesome.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    A "creative" department, with a creative challenges forum for the artists and wanna-be's to face off. A gallery with complete screen caps from all 6 films to be used in creative challenges.

http://lost-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 they do it in this forum like that, for the tv show Lost. No feelings are hurt, it works very well. Anyone can post a challenge, anyone can enter, and then they're either voted on by whoever stops by, or the starter of the challenge judges them independently.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    Two forum suggestions:
    • IC News. I might have suggested this before, I don't know, but I think it's awesome. You can see it in practice at the Rebel Faction, here: http://therebelfaction.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    • Character Biographies forum. I know that TSO and GJO have these, but I think it would be cool to have them all in one place, or even just to have a place for people who aren't part of these groups.

Jacen
    Maybe a chat room on the board. I understand that most of us use messanger services, but some that we'd like to communicate with might not.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    That's a really good idea actually.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Originally posted by Jacen
    Maybe a chat room on the board. I understand that most of us use messanger services, but some that we'd like to communicate with might not.
    No, because we can't sit around and moderate it.

Why does it need to be moderated?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    To deal with spammers, flooders, etc, I'm guessing.

Isn't there a chat room on Meras? How does that work, then? Is it monitored or just the people there are not the sort to abuse it?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    That isn't moderated, but Meras as a whole receives a much smaller amount of traffic than Fans, and there's never really been a need for moderation. Here, that might not be the case. One example that comes to mind... every so often someone will register here solely for the purpose of advertising some unsavoury website in their profile, hoping to attract some of our large database of members to visit. It's possible that, with a chat room, they could take this sort of thing to the next step and start flooding the room with inappropriate material.

Ah, I see where your going now. It would be nice to have a chat room, but not to the extent of having stuff like that happen. Thanks for clearing that up. =)

JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze

Ideas.

1.Web art contest.

2. Story Design Contest

3. Structured Web chat-RPG style.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    1 & 2 we are already discussing, in a manner of speaking

3. Structured Web chat-RPG style.
    What do you mean by this?

Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
    1 & 2 we are already discussing, in a manner of speaking

What do you mean by this?
    In my old days, we will say 1992-1996...we would have 2 people, 1 running the RPG chat, real time, and one person to play the NPC characters.

loads of fun for 2 hrs or so.

i cant think of a time i didnt have fun.

SWFans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    This one goes up to 11.
    AKA
    Morg
    Due to the multinational/multitimezone nature of the board and the fact that most of us have jobs, that's pretty much impossible for the same reasons the chat room is.

Originally posted by Milivikal k'Vik
    Due to the multinational/multitimezone nature of the board and the fact that most of us have jobs, that's pretty much impossible for the same reasons the chat room is.
    NOT true. we iron out a time. we know Cali is 3 hours back. latest on a weeknight for me would be 23:00 hours.

i dont mind going to sleep by 12am give or take 10 minutes.

earliest i can make it is 9 PM..

we can try. if it fails. take it down. its not like we are making cars, if the model fails. delete it from the server and keep on moving with what we have.

no harm in TRYING.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Yes true. We have several British forum members and we're collectively unwilling to schedule our lives around the board. This isn't up for debate. We're happy with the forum format. Some of keep exotic schedules on top of that, and we're not moving to a chat format.

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Dani
    This is a thread to give us ideas, we can take your idea into consideration but to be honest, most here have means to chat/communicate with others. Not to mention alot of people have come from real time RPing and prefer posting in threads where they can make a response at their lesuire.

If more like this idea, then let us know, but for now... need to move away from the chats unless there are other concerns and throw out more ideas for the staff to consider about improving our board!

i merely offered and Idea. I never said it had to replace Anything.

An addition,maybe you didnt get the analogy of a car model- here . there is no loss. either WE like it, and use it. or DELETE it from the server. is that too hard to comp?

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast