Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

My roommate plays World of Warcraft and I've watched over his shoulder. It does look interesting, but I don't know if my computer meets the requirements to play it.

I realize that I could find out the system requirements on my own, but they never help me because I never know how to check to see if my computer meets those requirements. So I want to know 4 things:

1) the requirements to put it on my comptuer including memory consumption.

2) How to find out whether my computer can support the game.

3) How much the game will cost me.

4) How much it costs to actually play.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate it.

SWFans.Net Poster

catwimmin for teh win!

Wei, buddy ol' pal.

Ok, here's the scoop:

1) Requirements...

The minimum system requirements for World of Warcraft are as follows:

• Your computer will need a 56K or higher modem with an Internet connection. (Broadband recommended)
    • You must have a valid e-mail address.

For Windows® System/OS (98/ME, 2000, XP):

• 800 Mhz or higher CPU. (1.5ghz pentium 4 or AMD 1500+ recommended)
    • 256 Megabytes or more of RAM. (512 recommended)
    • 32MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform/Lighting (such as a GeForce 2 or better). (64mb with vertex and pixel shader capability recommended)
    • 4 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
    • DirectX® 9.0c or above (this comes with the game if you don't have it yet).

2) Finding out what your comp has...

For comp specs...
    • Right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Left click on Properties.
    • Under the General tab, you should see CPU & memory your comp has near the bottom of the window.

For Graphics card…
    • Right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Under the Hardware tab, left click on the Device Manager… button.
    • Left click the + next to Display Adapters. The name of the graphics card you have on your comp should appear below Display Adapters.

For hard disk space...
    • Double click the My Computer.
    • Right click the C drive (or whatever your main drive is).
    • Under the General tab all the info you need for hard disk space should be displayed.
    • DirectX 9.0 comes with the game, so no worries there.

3) How much the game costs...
    • The game runs $49.99 (can be purchased on the Official Website Store or any local electronic retailer that sells video games)

4) How much the game will cost to play...

Here's a breakdown of the costs depending on which payment option you choose:

• They accept the following major Credit Cards:
    • Visa
    • MasterCard
    • Discover
    • American Express

• The subscription options for World of Warcraft are as follows:
    • 1 month: $14.99
    • 3 months: $41.97 ($13.99 per month) *
    • 6 months: $77.94 ($12.99 per month) *
    • 60-day Prepaid Time Cards: $29.99 (available at your local electronic retailer that sells video games)

*Please note that the 3-month and 6-month subscriptions must be paid in full at the beginning of the billing cycle

And there you have it. The info you requested straight from the WoW Guru (or if that title doesn't fit, I'll go for SWF Chronic Schizo as well )

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

I wouldn't put much faith in Bliz's "recommended" specs. Being realistic, if you want the game to run reasonably well, you'll want something in the 2 ghz range for a processor (or higher), 768 MB - 1GB of the fastest RAM your system can handle, and a video card at least in the range of a GeForce4/Radeon 9500. A clean HD partition without much else on it will help too. This is all even more of a necessity, IMO, now that the Honor System is active and Battlegrounds will be soon.

And try to find a friend who has the patches already dled and stored on CD, because trying to get them using Bliz's half-broken bittorent client can be a pain.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

Oi. That all sounds pretty demanding. That, and I don't have a credit card. sad.

imported_Grev Drasen
    Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
    Oi. That all sounds pretty demanding. That, and I don't have a credit card. sad.
    Got a Gamestop or EB around? They carry pre-paid game cards.

SWFans.Net Poster

catwimmin for teh win!

Totally off-topic for the moment...

I think I heard somewhere that Gamestop bought EB? Or did I dream that up? O_o

Wei - You don't need a credit card to start an account. I should have been more specific in that area that you can use a pre-paid game card in place of a credit card.

Master Yoghurt
    I wouldn't put much faith in Bliz's "recommended" specs
    Agreed. Blizzards specs are a bit of a joke honestly. 256MB RAM is about what windows XP consumes on its own. I am running the game at 512MB RAM, and I concider it the absolute bare minimum. Its playable at 512, but I recommend 768 or higher because it can be so incredible memory intensive (especially for PvP and in cities). It will probably chug along with a 1.5Ghz CPU, but really 2Ghz or better is highly recommended. You can forget about 32MB GeForce 2 as well. You need at very minimum a GeForce 3 ti or better or higher, maybe even a GeForce 4. Playing MMORPGs with 56K dialup? Please.

Torn Dlo
    Ok...I've finally decided to go with WoW. So I'll let all you guys know what server Ill be playing on in a few days. I have to wait till Monday to get it.

Nevlonniel
    Welcome aboard the WoW Addict Train! Please remain seated, and keep your hands on the keyboard and mouse at all times. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, and be sure to let me know the name of your character, race, class, server, etc etc, so i can add it to the LIST!

Torn Dlo
    Will do.

SWFans.Net Poster

catwimmin for teh win!

Forgot to mention...

You can check out what all our names are and what servers we play on in this thread, along with a bunch of other helpful info and fun stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12