Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sing a Smuggler's Shanty (Open)

She groaned as he pulled her away from the wall, but was evidently quite content to let him support her weight as she leaned on him. "I can get there ... by myself." They walked forward together, and she pointed down a side alley. "There's th' turbolifts to the uppers."

The young man didn't stumble under her weight as he helped steer her body in the right direction. Once inside the 'lift, she untangled herself from his helping arms, and leaned in a corner of the rectangular 'lift. She was dripping wet, and hadn't managed to get her jacket done up before going outside. Of course, it wasn't every day that it rained hard enough topside to get some in the lower levels. This is gross... I'll have to take a shower to get this gunk off me. As she thought about it - the water could have come from anywhere, not just rain.

"'sgusting."

Loki Ahmrah
    "That's right." Loki agreed, leaning back against the lift. He kept his eyes fixed on the grey doors in front of him while Arya assessed the damage.

"By the time rain gets down this far it might as well be mud."

He pulled his hood back and sighed. "Not exactly refreshing and pleasant, unlike the rain back home."

He looked at her, his eyes narrowed against the glaring artificial light.

"Where are you from?"

"Teka nona se Ryloth." She wriggled her eyebrows, "I was raised on Ryloth. Dark there." The turbolift noisily clicked away the levels as they traveled upwards.

Arya stood up straight suddenly, and stuck her hand out at him. He may or may not have flinched away, she didn't notice. "M'name's Arya Ravenwing."

Loki Ahmrah
    "Loki." He replied, suprised by the introduction. "Loki Ahmrah."

He shook her hand and smiled, inwardly wondering how it had not occured to him that they hadn't exchanged names already. Part of him wished he had answered her question in the Ryloth tongue. He leaned back. The metal of the lift trembled against his back as the lift rattled upwards.

"I've always wanted to go to Ryloth." He blurted whimsically, now staring at his shimmering wet boots.

"Five red moons above, ryll mines below, eternal darkness on one side of the planet, raging heatstorms on the other, nine hour days. It's like nowhere I've ever been to before. And Twii'leks..."

He looked across to Arya and gave her a weary smile. "Twii'leks are cool. How long did you live there for?"

Had she been sober, Arya would have guarded her tongue about where she came from and what her background was. She wasn't sober, however, so she only leaned back into the corner of the 'lift, and answered his question. "Born an' raised there. It isn't all that romantic though, kid. Schools aren't all that great for females, either, unless you want to learn dance."

She winked rougishly, "I did take a few lessons, they've come in handy from time to time." Before the conversation could take a turn for the worse, the 'lift stopped, and a bell dinged. She belatedly pulled herself from the wall, and headed for the opened doors. "Looks like our stop."

Once outside the turbolift, Arya paused, swaying slightly from side to side. Then she abruptly turned right and started walking, only to lose her balance. Her body pitched to the side, and she put out her hands to catch herself about a second too late.

Loki Ahmrah
    She fell into Loki's arms. She'd hardly moved before he'd caught her and now he was righting her and securing his hand around her waist once more. He thought about this woman piloting a ship in her current state, he wouldn't say anything to her about it though, it would probably get ugly.

"Watch yourself, Arya. Carry on like this and we wont make it to the ship."

They moved on rather sluggishly.

"Now I'm finding myself wondering: what is it you called your ship?"

She felt content to let him carry most of her weight, and she was fairly heavy for such a slim looking woman, but she tried to keep them heading in the right direction. "Whaddai call it? M' ship's called The Wing of the Raven, and she's... beyootiful."

They staggered along a few more steps, and then she directed them into a hallway between docking ports. "Here we go, look ... look for 943." Loki was pretty strong, and Arya unconsciously let a hand feel along his shoulder. "Oh, wait, I think we passed it!"

She pushed off from him again, and stumbled back a few paces. "Yeah, here we are." She tapped on the door with a hand that seemed a bit blurry. "Four thirty-nine, just like I said." The smuggler fumbled in her jacket for the keycard the tech had given her, and cursed. "Krasst, where is it?"

The woman shrugged out of the jacket, exposing her leather shoulder rig and holstered blaster, and started shaking the nerfhide jacket out, trying to get the keycard to fall out.

Loki Ahmrah
    "The keycard?" Loki asked with a grin.

His hand dipped inside his cloak and from somewhere in his robes produced Arya's keycard. He looked at the door and double-checked the card, then handed it to the pilot.

"Docking Pad Three Four Nine: just like you said." He smiled and closed in on Arya in case she stumbled any further.

"You gave me the keycard for safe keeping. Don't you remember?"

She gave him a blank look, carefully put her jacket back on, and snagged the card out of his hand. The little bastard kept moving his hand back and forth to try to keep it from her, but she got it, and soon the door was open.

The berth was not well lit, which was fine, because the Chevette77 wasn't all that much to look at from the outside. Well, not the inside either, unless you knew where to look. Arya disengaged the Wing of the Raven's security protocols to let down the gangplank and let her inside (thankfully the voice recognition still worked when she was slurring her words) and then they entered the freighter. After that, things got a little fuzzy.

Arya opened her eyes blearily, and groaned as consciousness returned. She was lying on her bunk, feet on the pillow, fully clothed and hung over like all the demons of the hells had partied in her brain. Her tongue was dry and stuck to the roof of her mouth. Water... Better yet - more beer. She sat up slowly, groaning louder as the pounding in her head increased. As did the nausea in her stomach.

After a quick dive into the 'fresher for a vomit session, Arya rinsed out her mouth and made her way to the main cabin through the passage. She vaguely remembered her young employer dumping her into her bunk and saying he would be right back. Something about getting the money. Alarmed, she checked the hatch - it was closed, but the security system had not been engaged. Loki - Loki? Was that his name? - had been smart enough not to try locking up in case he'd be back before she woke up. Being turned into paste because the aft guns thought you were trying to break in would ruin anyone's day.

Her fingers activated the door lock, and she sniffed deeply. Caf? Her nose led her (slowly and carefully so she didn't make her headache worse) into the 'living' area and kitchenette.

Loki Ahmrah
    "Good morning."

Loki looked up from pouring a cup of coffee and smiled.

"You didn't mind me making myself comfortable here, did you? I didn't really have anywhere to stay last night. Here."

He passed her a cup and returned to his own drink.

"How are you?"

She took the cup, noticed he was drinking out of her hangover mug, and grumped slightly as she took a seat. "Talk a little quieter, and we'll get along better. My head feels like it's gonna split down the middle." Arya sipped at the caf, found it to be better than what she usually brewed, and eyed him over the rim of the mug.

"I don't mind you getting comfy here as long as you brought the money." She raised one eyebrow for emphasis.

Loki Ahmrah
    "It's in the case next to you."

Loki spoke quieter than before and nodded to a styroplast briefcase sitting on the breakfast bar. His smile faded fast and he gulped at his coffee. He eyed the briefcase for a moment, then with reluctance, said, "Twenty thousand, as we agreed."

He looked up expectantly, hoping to find Arya more cheerful.

"Do you want something for your headache?"

She waved off his question, reaching for the case and plunking it on the table. With two careful movements she had it open and eyed the credits within. The chits within were all programmed to managable amounts, about a hundred creds per chit. Made for a satisfyingly heavy briefcase. Pleased, Arya clicked the case shut, and eyed Loki again. She still wasn't exactly smiling.

"Okay, well, if you're all set, I'll start pre-flight." She picked up the case as she got to her feet, leaving the half full cup of caf on the table. Not waiting for an answer, the smuggler winced her way out of the lcabin, and back down the passage to her private quarters. She stowed the case in a safe spot, locked the door, and went back up the passage towards the cockpit.

As she passed the cabin, she poked her head inside, and thought about smiling. It didn't quite happen. "If you can make yourself useful, get my droid out of the cargo bay. There's a ladder at the end of the passage that leads down into it." She eyed the caf on the table, and went in to get it.

Rubbing her temples, she grouched to the cockpit and set her mug on the console. Eyes closed against the light that was streaming in through the transparisteel, she ran her hands over the controls and started the pre-flight check.

Threepio
    He'd been left for days - days - in the dark hold of the Wing of the Raven. Again. He understood that Arya didn't like taking him out on the town ("They don't allow droids where I'm going."), but it was getting insulting.

He'd powered up once daily to see if she'd come back, but it had been three days without word this time. Of course, he was supposed to be keeping watch over the ship, but it was hard to do that from the cargo bay. After all, there was only a small console in the back wall and it only controlled the airlock. Which she'd instructed him not to open.

Threepio supposed he should be grateful that she'd filled up the oil bath for him before leaving, although she'd grumbled the whole time that he was an outdated hunk of junk and not worth the credits to upkeep. He'd run several diagnostics on himself while Mistress Arya had been away, and noticed a small irregularity in his memory cortex which seemed irreperable. It affected old memories, but with the way his existance was going now, what had happened in the past had probably been worse, and not worth remembering in the first place.

The door to the rest of the ship opened, and after a moment the lights to the bay flicked on. Threepio started tottering towards the ladder to greet Mistress Arya, "Thank the Maker you've come back, Mistress Arya. Oh... who are you?"

Loki Ahmrah
    "Hello." Loki smiled at the inquisitive protocol droid.

"I'm Loki Ahmrah. I've been asked by Arya to come for you, we're working together for the time being. Sorry to have startled you."

Threepio
    Finally, someone with some manners! "At last someone remembers me. I don't know how I put up with it, always being left in corners and in holds."

The droid made his way towards the newcomer. "I am C-3PO, human/cyborg relations. I am fluent in over six million forms of communication, including Verpine and twi'lek sign language. If there is any way I can be of assistance I assure you I will do my best."

Loki Ahmrah
    "Well, it's nice to meet you, Threepio." Loki said, grinning. He was amused at the thought of something trying to communicate using Twii'lek sign language without any lekku.

"And there is something you can do, not for me but for Arya. She needs you and I'm sure you'll be happy to see her. Shall we head up to cockpit?"

Threepio
    "Certainly." He cocked his head to one side in an almost human gesture, and made his way towards the ladder. He wasn't made for ladders, and so Mistress Arya had fashioned a mechanical pulley system that could be used to bring the droid up to the main level of the ship. "I must say, sir, it is good to finally have someone polite to talk to."

A few minutes of struggle to get from one deck to the other, and then the droid and Master Ahmrah were in the main passage heading towards the cockpit. As they walked Threepio chattered on about a dialect of Gamorrean he'd discovered recently and was quite fascinated with. The ships engines roared to life, and Mistress Arya's voice came over the intercomm, "Loki, if you haven't gotten Goldenrod out of the hold, it's too late. We've got clearance to leave and I'm taking it."

Loki Ahmrah
    "Goldenrod?" Loki stood in the doorway to the cockpit, smiling.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I got wrapped up in an interesting talk about Gamorrean dialects."

He stepped forward and took a good look at all the switches and controls and lights and monitors. His arm rested on the free seat and he leaned forward, arresting Arya's attention.

"I can co-pilot, you know."

She looked sideways at him. "Just don't touch anything." Threepio was putting on his restraints in the living quarters and complaining about conversations being interrupted. Luckily he was far enough down the passage that she could barely hear him.

Arya had her restraints fastened, but she didn't remind Loki to do the same as she brought the ship off the landing pad and out into the Coruscant morning. After they were out of the atmosphere and heading to the jump point, she looked at him again. "Gamorrean dialects?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast