Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: The Bittersweet Midnight Wake of Apolonia Rosario Patron

Dan the Man
    "I suppose it takes practice."

He approached Vittorio's table slowly, sitting down opposite him.

"It's a part of who I am."

Vittorio Patron
    "Dan, I'm not one of those other people. I'm your brother!"

Vittorio raised his voice, his concern getting the better of him.

Satisfied that they would be talking for a while, Arya slipped back to the room and picked up her black heels. They strapped on fairly securely, but she didn't want to wear them. Reaching under the pillow on the floor, she pulled out the handkerchief that Dan had given her earlier and studied it. It seemed to be a cipher key. She tucked it into the breast pocket of Dan's shirt, she left the room as silently as she had arrived.

What she needed the most was a pair of pants. Heels clutched in one hand, her vibroblade in the other, Arya crept down the stairs. Across the expansive hallway was the dining room, but it had no columns. Dan and Vittorio were still located in it, their voices getting a bit louder. The smuggler made her way through the darkened hallway, avoiding being seen from the doorway, into the kitchens. Her bare feet made little to no sound on the floors.

There was one small light on in the kitchens, illuminating the huge iron range top. Everything was spotless, done in richly stained woods, blackened irons, and colorful tiles. She padded along the tiled floors, the tails of Dan's shirt brushing the backs of her thighs, and looked for another door. There was a door that opened up to an inside courtyard, complete with burbling fountain that made it hard to remember that they were on Tatooine. A second door led to a slightly smaller hallway and the servant's quarters, and a third led into a second dining room. It was larger, and more impressive than the one she'd seen earlier.

It's vaulted ceilings were held up by columns that framed a long polished table that was probably made from the trees grown on the plantation. Arya narrowed her eyes at the semi-dark room, and ducked back into the kitchen. First things first. Pants.

She headed towards the servant's quarters.

A few restless moments in a butler's room, and Arya was belting on a pair of pants that were a tad too long and baggy in the waist. The borrowed belt didn't cinch up tight enough, but her vibroblade easily cut a small hole suitable for the buckle. The shirt she left untucked, and tied around her waist.

Padding through the kitchen back towards the vaulted dining area, Arya located the column that Dan had mentioned to her hours earlier. She ran her hands along the smooth stone, but found nothing unusual until she studied the base of the column. There she discovered that the moulding separated with just the right amount of pressure. Reaching inside she found a piece of flimsy scrawled in the same penmanship as the handkerchief.

A treasure hunt? Obviously Dan had known all along where the Hammer was, and for some reason thought it was amusing to string her along and make her risk her neck for it. She shook her head, Stop it Arya, you need the money. Can't afford to question right now. The cipher was simple enough for a stupid smuggler, and she tucked the flimsy back into it's hiding place. Now that she knew where it was, she didn't need it.

Now it was just a matter of getting there.

Dan the Man
    "Vittorio, I got a feeling we all got it coming, somehow or another."

Licking moisture onto his dry lips, he continued.

"When it wasn't me, I wanted you two to have everything I couldn't. Did you?"

Seeing that he couldn't plea-bargain his way out of this, Vittorio relented, and nodded.

Dan smiled.

"Thank you for that. Thank you, and thank her. It's a good consolation for me."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345