Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all ship designer people

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    actually, 92 meters is smaller than the 105 meter glue-job. not bigger. you're not going by the west end games length for the YT-1300, are you?

(Alex) Jacen
    No...I'm going by approximate guesswork. But when I say "glued", I don't literally mean that. Its bigger than the Falcon, coz it has more decks, for one thing. Ok, its shorter than 3 falcons end to end, but the internal capacity is a lot bigger. Wait until my site is up...you'll be able to look at specs, and maybe understand. I dunno. But I'm only gonna say this once more: IT IS BIG ENOUGH.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm trying to clear up things on my end and get a better mental image

-_-

SW-Fans.Net Poster

UNLIMITED POWER!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

How about we wait until we see the final stats and figures before passing any judgment

I'd just like to remind you of one thing, a ship doesn't just contain storage space and a cockpit. Living space, mechanical bays, escape pods, engines, reactors, sensors, weapons, shields, communications, targeting, computers, life support, hyperdrives, etc all take space.

I'd say a 95m vessel carrying the above mentioned might be a little excessive. Of course, it depends on the other ship components. Anyway, we'll see when the final stats are posted.

(Alex) Jacen
    I've already taken the other bits of the ship into account...it is just a vessel for taking the fighters from A to B. No one lives on it...we have a base for that. Its just to extend the range of our fighters...they are Hyperspace capable (part of the mod), but they use fuel for that...we want to conserve as much as possible, because it don't come cheap.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

I'm with Khendon on this one. I'll have to see it before I believe anything

Darth Viscera
    Jacen, swfans has already experienced 5 years of deviation from canon-type star wars vessels, and the staff would appreciate it if you could select a pre-existing vessel type so as to encourage the greater use of "classic" star wars vessels.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

"It's just the Rebels, sir... they're here."
    "My God, man! Do they want tea?"

agreed

(Alex) Jacen
    http://www.geocities.com/fury_smops/equipment/rage.jpg

Not amazing, because I'm still working on the site...but there's the top and side views of the "Rage Marauder".

One of these...

http://www.geocities.com/fury_smops/equipment/x4a.jpg

...and four of these...

http://www.geocities.com/fury_smops/equipment/x4f.jpg

...plus a Lambda have to fit inside. That's all. The other two ships will easily fit in the Cargo Pods. In the middle third, the lower deck will be dedicated to fighters. They WILL fit.

The front third is dedicated to the crew, mainly, with the bridge, some quarters for longer missions, rec rooms, simulators (we have a full compliment's worth of TIE sims, plus a few others), etc.

The top of the middle third and the aft third are given over to Engineering systems.

The two bits on either side are Cargo Pods. They're pretty large, and can hold a hell of a lot. We will only use one most of the time, and leave the other one to be used as a spare landing bay (both Rep. Gunships will be in the "Cargo" Cargo Pod), and for training purposes...the sniper shoots targets from the other end, the Assassin and the Unarmed Combat guy spar, and we've set up targets and stuff for the others.

When you look at it, there isn't that much to fit in. We could use a YT-1300, save for the shuttle space. All this ship is, as far as we're concerned, is a 1300 with extra cargo space, and a landing bay bolted on. Nothing too fancy...pretty much just functional.

And before you ask...Cargo Pods are accessed through slides and ladders that go through the three large arms...well, one arm is a slide, and the other two have steps and ladders.

Anyway...there they are. Happy browsing.

(Alex) Jacen
    I'm sorry to the staff, but as this thread (hopefully) showed you all, "a pre-existing vessel type" will not do the job. So I'm sorry, but I think I'll stick with my ship. I'm not trying to be awkward, but after all the hastle you people have put me through, it'd be unfair on the poor ship to turn my back on her now

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

A: your site doesn't work for me.

and B: no one has put you through any hassle.

imported_STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
    And I missed al this

I never get to have any fun.

Darth Viscera
    Jacen, please select a pre-existing ship type. Take it or leave it. Your future group isn't exactly in the position to throw around enough resources to design entirely new classes of vessels anyway, you'd very likely be getting 2nd hand ships of common classes from someone else and modifying them.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

UNLIMITED POWER!

You know, you can modify an existing model, right?

I think it's cooler to have a ship that you gutted and retrofitted rather than an entirely new design--not to mention cheaper and more practical.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Originally posted by Jacen Dantarno
    Why not a Marauder Corvette? A few reasons

1. Price.

2. Who uses it...its Corporate Sector...not really mercenary material.

3. Its not modular. Like all good mercenary and smuggler ships, its gonna be upgraded. The easier it is to upgrade, the better.

4. It apparently doesn't have a hyperdrive, achording to http://frankg.dgne.com/swsv/index.shtml

So...yeah. Doesn't really fit the description.

I beg to differ [/Silent Bob]

and here's why.

1. Price isn't an issure. They aren't too expensive if you steal them.

2. CorSec isn't the only ones using it - I read that there are mercs palming them and modding them out for marauding purposes.

3. Contrary to what you may believe, it's easy to upgrade; the NR does it all the time with theirs.

4. Buy a hyperdrive. If you're so focused on the price issue, wouldn't it be easier to get a hyperdrive rather than build a whole ship?

so, yeah.

What weapons payload are you looking for?

(Alex) Jacen
    For crying out loud...if you'd actually read, its not a "new" design. Its an old one. What's your problem with that anyway? Not only is nothing the right size, but nothing is old enough or useless enough. I'm not building a new ship. I'm making up a ship that's pre-Clone Wars. Its VERY old. Half the systems won't integrate with my upgrades. I want a ship that'll cause problems, not something brand new and build for us. I'm not designing a new ship...I'm designing an old one.

I DON'T WANT A NEW SHIP. I want a ship that will fall apart. One thats got bits missing and bits replaced all over the place. I CAN'T FIND ONE OF THOSE in the right size. But if you're all so damn bothered, I'll go for a crappy thing. The stuff won't fit inside it, but at least it'll be Star Wars, so you should all be happy.

I'm kinda disappointed...I expected Star Wars fans to be a little more accepting to new things...its an on-going saga. *sigh* Guess I was wrong.

Hey im just trying to help. I ask a simple question. I have a few old ships in mind that will be the right size and allow for the Lambda to fit insidie it. but i just wanted more info so I could help.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Everyone has said this, but you don't appear to be taking it to heart - calm down. Stop over-reacting - as I said eariler, you brought the idea forward for discussion, to see if it would be accepted, and it hasn't been. End of. Thank for you for co-operating, in using an existing ship.

(Alex) Jacen
    Its not just the Lambda...its the Lambda, five TIEs and two Republic Gunships. They won't fit inside. Tell me your suggestions anyway, but I'm not sure that they'll work.

Here's the deal. It took me a long time to come up with all the bits and pieces for this ship, and now I'm not getting to use them. Its pretty damn annoying. Thats why I don't want to accept an alternative. I already went over the detail stuff in ShadowFaene. Ok, so maybe you don't all look at that. But no one there complained. I put a lot of work in...and you seem surprisingly determined to make sure that all the effort was pointless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast