Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: The Passion of the Christ

Dutchy
    Originally posted by Doc Milo
    Let's assume that the Bible is correct and literal in the book of Genesis. And let's assume that science is also correct in it's placing of the age of the earth and universe. Are these two mutually exclusive? The answer is no.

Yes, if you take the Bible literally, which is my assumption from above, the world would only be 6000 years old. And, as well with my assumption, if you take science's dating as a fact, the world would be what is it, billions of years old? And yet, I will prove that these two do not contradict with few simple questions and answers.

Now, remember, all these arguments are assuming the truth of both the Bible and science:

1. Q: How old was Adam two days after his creation?

1. A: Adam was two days old two days after his creation.

2. Q: How old did Adam look two days after his creation?

2. A: Adam looked in his twenties two days after his creation.

3. Q: Was Adam, according to the Bible, created an infant who grew fast?

3. A: No, Adam was created as a grown man.

4. Q: If God can create Adam to look 20 something on the day of his creation why couldn't He have created the world, seven days after its creation, to look billions of years old?

4. A: There is no reason why He couldn't.

And if He did then the world is only billions of years old by the perception of man, but in actuality would be only 6000 years old.

Remember, the truth as man understands it is based upon man's limited perceptions. We dismiss the Bible as a historical document because it contains "supernatural phenomena" but supernatural phenomena is only supernatural because we don't understand it, because our perceptions are limited. We dismiss it because it contains things that "can't possibly be true" and must then be symbollic and not literal. But they only "can't possibly be true" because we don't understand it, because we have limited perception.
    Of course He COULD do that, but the question is: WHY would God do this?

Why does He create supernovas that appear to us like stars, and once we see their light we have to conclude that the star never existed?

He made it so insanely complex that it's hard to believe.

Okay, a Big Bang is hard to believe either, but things gradually evolving into these complex things over billions of years seems a lot more logical than creating all these things at once pretending they are much older than they really are.

Master Yoghurt
    Thats quite some necro bump O_o

This is an interesting discussion whatever you may believe about existance of an allmighty deity, at least from a philosophical point of view, so I will add some thoughts of my own. However, before I continue, I will add a disclaimer:

Nothing of what I say is intended to infuriate people, I fully respect and tolerate peoples faith and belief systems. I am aware its a sensitive topic, and because people are feeling so strong about it, anything being said on the subject naturally may stirr some emotions. Having said that, I encourage anyone who risk replying to this thread to try have an open mind and discuss in an intelligent manner without resorting to flames.

Got that? Ok, here goes..

A fundemental problem for anyone trying to rationalize the bible is the vast amount of inaccuracies, contradictions and errors. I mean there are thousands, just look here for some samples:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Another problem is; <a href=http://www.carm.org/bible/biblewhen.htm>at the time it was written</a>, the idea of ethics and justice was quite different to what it is today. So there are some rather disturbing instances of intolerance and injustice, moral standards which do not apply to a modern society.

Is it not about time we think for ourselves rather than building our moral and belief system on something that was written by man more than 2000 years ago? Is it not about time we realize our success or failures in life relies on our own choices, not because of a superficial being assumed to exist, yet no one have seen or can prove exist?

If there really is an allmighty supreme being who created everything, controlling all that is to come, why does he allow terrible tragedies to happen. If the presumtion is God is "all good" and all powerful, why let evil happen? My claim is, if God really does exist, he cant be all good and all powerful. He could be one or the other, but not both at the same time.

About the genesis or the creation of the universe. It is often argued that since the universe is so large and complex, how could it be all happen in a physical phenomenon like a Big Bang. Surely it must have started by a higher power? My reply to that is, if the universe is complex, the creator must have been infinitively more complex, and that brings us into a circle argument and back to the original problem; what created God. IMO, for a conscious being to have that kind of power is simply unimaginable. If God really is that powerful, you have a serious problem explaining the dilemma above, about God letting evil happen.

I believe we've discussed religion at length in the past.

Marcus Telcontar
    I need one of those marcos which indicates posters running from thread as fast as possible

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617