Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: An Issue Which Concerns Us All

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Originally posted by Darth_Viscera
    Hear Hear!
    That is funny as hell coming from someone that makes as many peace or I should say "non-aggression" pacts as you do Visc.

Darth Viscera
    I know! *fails to stifle a laugh*

Garrett Blade
    Gav again: He only makes peace treaties so that he can break then when them when it is strategically beneficial to him!

Laran Katern
    Laran Katern, Sith Knight and has no apprentices, but is accepting as of late

Yeah, iI can't understand all the peace treaties either. Espceially with the Sith/Dark jedi /bad guys. I mean come one, we're evil. We want chaos to reign

Darth Viscera
    Oh, you're too kind!

Khan Surak
    This place needs to break the current peace treaty in my opinion
    Well, I know Death Fleet is small and kind of meaningless, but I have been waiting for a NR response to our assault on Reecee for 2 months. As far as DF is concerned, the NR is still enemy numero uno. I realize that the larger groups - TSE, GMA, GJO, TSO, etc etc - do not engage in battles all that much with their original and old enemies. The last huge galaxy-wide battle that took place as far as I can remember, was Long Knives with basically all of the pro-Imperial/Sith superpowers at war with TSC and the Marzullo Clan. Then again, I did leave for a long time and probably missed a lot. I say the solution to all of this: War. Let's all declare war on someone.

Admiral Lebron
    The actual last All-out engagement was TGE v. TIR, which ended in few casuallties. Now Gue is throwing everything he has at TGE. And Khan, if they posted once, they have like 36 hours to respond before you can post again. 36-72 or something in there.

Khan Surak
    I was talking about galaxy-wide more than one group a side conflicts. And, I said months not days.

Garrett, the major problem is that it is still just a fight. I don't like the fleets because they are too big (I cant affect them, why should I care?), and the ground is just fights, although now with added pulled-out-of-rear-end Armies.

And then the fact that if I was away for a day, Im completely behind. First day of the last one was me commenting about problems in others posts. By then, when it got fairer, I just couldnt be bothered.

Second, about peace. WHY are the Sith doing peace treaties? TSE is allied with TSO. WHY? Sith a very individual, using others for only their own needs. Now, it gets silly when you have hundreds of Sith in one big chummy group. That is NOT a Sith trait! Dark Jedi? Yeah. But not Sith. But of course, that cant change now, it is too stuck in place.

And there appears the problem. 99% of things here are GJO Vs rest. Please explain how many groups on one is fair?

Varlon Konrad
    Reaper, the rule of two was created for a reason. If everyone in a sith group roleplayed a real one, the moment a new apprentice showed up, he or she would be slaughtered on the spot by the master's current one (or vice versa of he/she is strong enough). Here on SWFans.net, I'd say Sith has taken on a new meaning.

Jyener Celchu
    There's a lot to agree with from what's been said. Sith shouldn't be as bound together as they are, it seems they do a better job at being Jedi than Sith - no offense or anything.

I've seen a lot of mercenary/smuggler type characters coming into play too, which is good for being the in-the-middle type that causes dilemmas on both sides.

Maybe the real problem though is a lot of people going inactive or not being able to be around as much because of RL things to take care of, or just a loss of interest. Then you're stuck with some people that play lots of characters, and if they go away for a bit, all of their characters go away. This leaves new arrivals with a lack of masters and training.

Those are just my opinions though - what I've noticed from where I am.

Varlon, there wasn't always a rule of two, so that argument cant work. They were in large numbers once, but werent all chummy.

And if it has "taken ona new meaning", dont say you are Sith. Make your own name up

Champion of the Force
    As has already been mentioned earlier, part of the problem as I see it is that many roleplayers just seem to hang around their own group forums and don't venture out.

I recently browsed both the GJO and TSE forums and was stunned at the amount of roleplayers hanging around those forums who I've hardly even seen here (if ever) on SWFans.

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say that everyone should be *forced* to roleplay here, one should bear in mind that roleplaying as a whole is a group effort and needs the participation of everyone.

My little rant.

Varlon Konrad
    Originally posted by ReaperFett
    Varlon, there wasn't always a rule of two, so that argument cant work. They were in large numbers once, but werent all chummy.
    I'm not stupid, Reaper, as you come of thinking I am. I do know that there was once a true Sith Empire, but it fell in very much the same way the Republic did.

And if it has "taken ona new meaning", dont say you are Sith. Make your own name up
    Then we have to make a new name for practically everything, Reaper. A "laser" in star wars sure as hell is not a laser, so come up with a new name for it. And a proton torpedo isn't even a torpedo, so there's a new name. It's called evolution of terminology. Just because the term Sith meant one thing during the trilogy does not mean it could mean different now.

Champion of the Force
    Please don't start arguing over trivial things like 'What's a true Sith' etc. That's not the point of this exercise.

Getting back to the topic, one thing I forgot to mention above is that currently the board is in the same state as it was back in Jan/Feb 2000. Back then posting had dropped to levels so low that the bottom most thread in the Roleplaying forum was a week old (remember that back then we only had 1 forum - not 3 like today).

Roleplaying levels managed to rebuild themselves up again by June 2000 for a number of reasons - I believe the main one was because the groups put a lot of effort into encouraging members to roleplay here. Another reason I think was that some groups chose to do a bit of reshuffling of their members as well as a bit of interal restructuring to try and shake things up a bit and rejuvenate some interest (it happened with the Jedi at least).

My 2 cents.

Laran Katern
    I have to agree Davyj with the assessment of the lack of RP'ing here by characters. Everyone is rp'ing at their respective boards, and as a result, there is a whole list of unknowns in all groups

I'm not stupid, Reaper, as you come of thinking I am.

Shouldn't that be off?

I don't see you as stupid. Some people don't know some things

Please don't start arguing over trivial things like 'What's a true Sith' etc. That's not the point of this exercise.
    You say that, but it is in a way. I like to RP Star Wars the way Star Wars is in a cannonical way. Liberties taken, but you wont see Fett go time travelling, for example. How things are, I'd rather RP with a Dark Jedi than someone who says they are Sith, when clearly they are not.

This doesnt mean ALL Sith arent like Sith btw, just to clear that up. I find that many do RP a Sith very well, liberties included.

One thing that IMO needs working on is teaching newcomers what force etc they can use. It is more of a Sith thing than Jedi, simply because of how a Jedi's powers are. Doesnt mean they wouldnt do better without more explaining. Basically, a lot of newcomers will fight, and will be fighting with the power of a Knight, when only an apprentice. Not something you can really enforce, but maybe there is a way they could know their limits?

BrantCairn
    I agree. Groups are stagnant to the extreme, as usually do little as a whole. But what can we do? I know there's nothing I could do. Maybe I could join a group and pitch in, but that's not Brant's thing. So, yeah, it's sad, and I can't think of anything we could do to jumpstart any group out there.

I'm sorry for you darksiders out there. You won. The dark overcame, and some of the best Jedi converted long ago. All that's left now is dissention among the Sith, the Dark Jedi, whatever you are, because there is little Jedi opposition.

Maybe the crime niche will grow. I know I'm planning to make a crimester.

Star Wars Forums has, I beleive, entered a new age. The individual is more important than the group now.

The individual is more important than the group now

I remember back when there weren't individuals

SW-Fans.Net Poster

UNLIMITED POWER!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

We could run circles around this topic for a hundred years and never get a definitive answer; I’ve been trying to compose the proper post for roughly an hour, and thus far have been unsuccessful.

Okay… so, by now you’re probably ready to ignore my post, but for those of you, the very few those of you, who read my harebrained ideas/posts, I’ll continue.

(4th try)
    I once was a Sith, I enjoyed every moment of it, even though I lacked background knowledge and was as skillful at it as an unnamed basketball player trying to play golf, I loved it so much, I Rped every moment I had a chance, and wished to obtain the rank of Master, yeah, right, I’m sure you’d all love that. Sadly, my eyes opened and I noticed that the teachers were as knowledgeable as I am at ice skating (I’ve never done it, but that’s besides the point), so, I quit that occupation and found one that suited my needs, within the elite, well trained, well defined fleet Rpers, namely the most elite group, the Galactic Military Alliance.

I slowly made my way up the ranks, through my ingenuity and determination (key factors in any role player, as well as imagination and a self defined limitations standard.-most of you are probably saying I’m a moron and have stopped reading by now.) Where am I going with this, besides in slow circles around the idea in my head?

If you really want to increase roleplaying, give those all mighty ranks to people who roleplay, and roleplay well, give them to the ones that have the ideas, let them feel the passion which fills everyone until it pours over the sides and consumed those under them, lifting their hearts to the highest heavens, enabling all to partake in the enjoyment of this brilliant game. Do this, and you will increase the amount of participation, make it fun for all, make it the skillful, cunning minds that have power, not because they’ve roleplayed for a million years, but because they know what they’re doing.

Maybe my friend, who I was discussing this with after track practice today (ironic, isn’t it), would come back, maybe… So many players have been lost to these factors (to name a few: Mark Fenix, Vapor, my good friends.)

Now that I’ve basically organized my thoughts, yeah right, I wouldn’t call this organized, I’ll let you all yell at me and point and taunt, have fun. (Be gentle, I’m very sensitive.)

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast