Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: about blowing up the DS

JediBoricua

Well I'm sorry but this is WAR and in war there are many hit and fade attacks. Like DT said this is moving on to a technical warfare were ships and armies are made and garrisons are getting important. You don't wait for your opponent to attack back in war, hey milosevic I'm going to bomb Serbia, please get you ground to air missiles ready ok?

If TIE plans to retaliate and they all get together and do it at 4 AM, good for them. It was a hit and fade operation and I'm sorry if you weren't here.

Dark Side Adept 327

Sorry, people, but we still have our Death Star. The admins will verify that. Case closed.

And do you actually expect us to be on all the time? Our group has what? 7 members?

We can get together and battle for the Death Star some time, but we have to be able to reply. We're not going to let somebody kill our Death Star without a fight-why do you think we have so many of the strongest of ships orbiting it?

To sum it up: It isn't RPG if the other party doesn't get a chance to respond. It's idiocy if you expect that fantasy thread to be realized.

Lord Gue

TIE's DS = Destroyed

Dark Side Adept 327

sorry bud. We still have our death star. The Administrators have said so. Their words matter a lot more than mine or yours.

Darth Turbogeek

I beg to differ. The admins expressed an opinion. The ROLEPLAYERS make the rules up and decide what is acceptible and what is not. As the rules stand, the DS attack was legal and it had precident.

There are detailed rules for shipbuilding and 3 general conduct rules, ie no God Mode, no killing of an opponent, no maiming. There are no rules on posting speed or whether you wait for a response if performing an attack, except in challenges or defined roleplays. Hence, Talas would be allowed to wipe out Dagobah today if no Jedi responded. Fair? No. Legal? Yes.

That is the point I am trying get across. Sometimes the game is not fair, it is not even and sometimes you win and then sometimes you lose. This applies to me, to you, to everyone.

Another note is that this that who wins here is usually the person who can write the best, who express their ideas the best, whp can find holes in someones post and exploit them. At times, it is infuriating to find a well crafted idea shot to pieces, but it happens. It also happens in real life. You could spend your life trying for the Olymics say and the day before your event get run over.

And yes, I could do well listening to my own words, I howl when my best laid plans get screwed up. When that happens, I scream for a while, then shut up and plan out a reprisal. It may take me months to execute it, but is'nt that part of the game?

Dark Side Adept 327

ask me this question: how is it RPG if one party writes a section, and the other party isn't there to respond?

Director Isard

<table border="1" width="100%" bgcolor="#000000" bordercolorlight="#CCCCCC" cellpadding="2" bordercolordark="#808080"><tr><td width="50%" colspan="2"><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is ridiculous. I've been a silent watcher of this forum for a while now, and I had been waiting to join the "fray" sooner or later, as a member of TIE. It saddens me to see that there seems to be a complete lack of respect for each other, and for the rules - as confusing and unclear they seem to be.

jjwr

Thats a bit of a lame response DT....there need to be some rules...does it really make sense this big attack would go against the DS without any oposition at all? That had nothing to do with exploiting your oponents writing, it had to do with exploiting your opponents abscence.

Basically what you did was like assuming you attacked the DS while everyone was sleeping and all the security systems were shut off....it just wouldn't happen...there would be major opposition.

So how about this...bring the DS back, plan a new attack and involve the Imperials, then see if you can destroy it.

And I think first and foremost some rules need to be made, it just flat out makes no sense that you could Roleplay against a certain faction and do major things without them even being present.

Firebird1

OOC: This is stupid.
    Lets just make a compromise ok..

Dark Side Adept 327

what kind of compromise?

Firebird1

OOC: We could say that it was greatly damaged, and rendered inoperable for a period of 2 weeks or so. That would give everyone time to plan their next moves, build up fleets, or anything else that takes up two weeks. Remember folks this is just an idea.

Dark Side Adept 327

better than nothing i guess.

Banestone

OOC:
    I agree completely with jjwr. And Isard: Very nicely-written post!
    /OOC

Director Isard

well, thank you very much for the compliment.

I like to hear that.

I just hope that what I said will actually register with some of the people here.

Darth Eve

I wasn't involved in the thread, so as an unbiased person, this is what I think... take it or leave it:

One point...
    Many people seem to keep making similarities between RP battle and REAL battle. To say that in real battle, attacks occur without time to prepare defenses is somewhat true (although not likely nowadays), but here I don't think it's wise to make such a comparison. This place is for your leisure time, which means SOMETIMES, you're not online. Which means, when you post an attack, you have a chance that the respondant WILL NOT be online. Therefore, sometimes you may go for days without a response. If you're too eager to keep posting your attack, thats too damn bad.

Second...
    What HONOR is there in a battle where you get someone in the back? I see so much preaching about battles and what is an honorable kill, etc etc. I think everyone would agree there is no honor, AND a bit cowardish to shoot someone in the back, rather than face to face. So why is it honorable to destroy the deathstar in such a fashion? Again, don't make comparisons to real life because you won't get anywhere that way. Nowadays, in REAL LIFE, especially with the technology in hand, it is VERY difficult to plan a secret attack (unbeknownst to anyone), trust me on this (its what I study).

Third...
    Do you realize what you are all implicating? Since all who destroyed the DS claim it was legal...I could wait till certain people are offline and just make one big post. No one responds in a day, and my words would have been set, therefore I could, by YOUR rules (which are not set in stone anywhere) take everyone out with one big post. You disagree? Tell me how this would be illegal and what you all did was legal.

Fourth...
    You all argue about rules, yet are ANY rules written anywhere, that are agreed upon by many? I see attemps, but nothing set in stone. And I think, if such rules were proposed, you would ALL agree that you would want the right to respond to an attack when you got the chance to come back online. I'm certain if you argue with this, one, you have a deathwish and don't care about hard work and time spent on building your resources, and two, that you have too much damn pride to admit the DS attack was unfair (again don't compare to real life here, this isn't real life... or did some of you forget?).

Is that what this is about? Pride? Looks like it to me. I know the sith worked very hard on that attack, hell I witnessed it. And I am sorry that after all that, and an excellently executed storyline, that the DS attackers would have too much pride to execute an honorable fight. There was no honor in it, and I KNOW if the shoe were on the other foot, you all would be "bitching" about a chance to reply as well. If not, you're lying to yourself.

The adms have spoken, again two unbiased indivuals, not tainted by pride or not wanting to lose a DS. Are you all going to respect that, or is it just too much hard work and too much loss of pride to have an honorable fight? You guys hate Thrawn so much, and what not, and are so confident that the plan was flawless, what are you afraid of? Think, sith, of the victory you would have, if even after all this you STILL beat him and took out the DS? Wow... and with no cause for complaint, and all done fairly... THAT is what I would call a GOOD battle.

Firebird1

OOC: Like I said it was an idea, open for debate. Another thing I can do is start a pole and ask people. Yes or no if the ending was legal. And have No one post in it so it would be 100% unbiased.

Darth Eve

Yes take a poll. Let's see how everyone REALLY feels about being attacked with a blindfold on...

DvdJervs

There are no rules on posting speed or whether you wait for a response if performing an attack, except in challenges or defined roleplays.
    I disagree - the idea of giving your opponent time to post , be it in a challenge or a full on roleplay, has been an accepted idea well and truly before things like no God-mode, no killing etc. were ever in place. In ANY roleplay. Did that idea just suddenly go out the window because it didn't suit this situation? I remember back late last year when the Jedi were accusing the TSC of pulling off an almost identical thing to here in a somewhat similar roleplay. The Jedi accused TSC of not playing by the rules. How the tables have turned.

I suggest everyone reads Darth Eve's post - probably the most important post yet made in this thread.

Firebird1

I'll start the pole...

Firebird1

OOC: I've posted the pole, and now we wait.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast