Thread: OT- Subways Series

Albi Wan Yankovi

OT- Subways Series

Who will win the World (Subway) Series?

Jedieb

GO YANKS!!!!!
    You'll have to excuse me now. I need to go back to sleep after that 4 hour and 50 minute marathon the Subway Series unleashed on us.
    Game 1 - 12 Innings
    Yanks 4
    Mets 3

Jedi Master Kyle

I really can't tolerate the rich-ass yankees. They're basically an all star team to begin with. Plus they're a bought team, which I hate more than anything in any sport.

jjwr

Agreed, everone made a big deal about the Marlins who bought a championship that one year but no one has said anything about the Yankee's doing it these past 4 years, and you toss in the Mets and you've got two rich boys seeing who can spend the most for the title.

I think Baseball is the only professional Sport left where you can go out and buy a title, you still spend a load in Basketball and Football on All-Stars but you gotta make up for it in another spot due to the Salary Cap....don't you think baseball would get the hint at some point along.

Jedieb

Let me start by saying the Yankees are the team I grew up watching. I would sit next to my grandfather when I was a kid and cheer on his favorite team with him. (Lots of Cubans followed the Yankees during 30s-50s.) Ironically, my dad doesn't really like them or the American league.

Yeah, the Yankees have spent more money than any other team in baseball. But it isn't just their payroll that explains why they won 3 out of 4 World Series. You know who came in 2nd and 3rd in the spending race during that same time span? The Baltimore Orioles and the Atlanta Braves. The Orioles are a disgrace and the Buffalo Braves are perennial choke artists. The Yankees spend alot, but much of that money goes to proven veterans that no one else would spend the same amount of money on. Do you think David Cone and Paul O'Neil would get the same pay from any other team out there? And no one forced the Indians to trade Justice, they made that blunder all on their own. Finally, the Mets aren't exactly a WalMart special you know. They've got a top 10 payroll as well.

Bottom line, this is a special team and it's going to go down as one of the greatest of all time. (Many consider the 98 squad the greatest single season team ever.)

BTW, I don't approve of what Clemens did last night. I think he reacted purely be instinct and threw the bat down in anger. I don't think he meant to hit Piazza with it, but he sure as hell threw it because he was pissed at having the bat come at him. He's always had trouble controlling his emotions in the playoffs and last night was no exception. The sad part is, I don't think I've ever seen him pitch better than he has during his last two starts. 3 hits and 0 runs over 17 innings against 2 playoff teams. He's never done better but many will only remember his uncalled for antics in yesterday's 1st inning.

Bromine

I thought it was very immature also. I don't think it was malicious, but clearly negligent. You don't just fling a bat (across the baseline no less!) during a game.

Jedi Master Kyle

I thought it was a pretty suspicious looking play.

Jedieb, you're right, buying a team doesn't guarantee championchips. The Braves, Orioles and Dodgers are prime examples. The difference with the Yankees of today, is that the team was put together with intelligence. In hockey, last season, Rangers GM Neil Smith literally bought every free agent out there, and paid them all way too much, and in the end, the missed the playoffs altogether. Whether smartly put together or not, I just can't respect a bought team. I have immense respect for the Yankees of the past, mostly for their loyalty to the uniform, but the ones now are a bunch of rich, GQ pretty boys. I can't even begin to ponder the egos in that dressing room every night. That being said, I think Joe Torre is probably the greatest manager in baseball today.

Jedieb

But you know JMK, you never really here about those kinds of problems with this Yankee team. O'Neil is a great guy and Jeter is a freaking Got Milk poster boy. Cone, Rivera, El Duke, Brosius, Williams, and Posada are stand up guys as well. On a sad note, Darly Strawberry was arrested today for failing a drug test. That poor son a bitch is just sad. He could have put up Willy Mays type numbers and had a bust in Cooperstown. Instead he's pissed his career and life away. It just goes to show, talent isn't always enough.

Jedi Master Kyle

True, you don't hear too much about them, but I like to give Torre the credit for running a tight ship. And it is a shame about Strawberry. What a phenominal talent, but all for nothing. You should read the FHM magazine with Jessica Simpson on the cover. There's a great story about the '86 mets. They were an insane bunch.

Jedieb

I remember that 86 Mets team. I was living in Jersey and my best friend was a huge Mets fan. (Which of course meant I had to root against them.) That team was one of the most charasmatic to ever win a World Series. I remember feeling so bad for Buckner and the Red Sox.

ReaperFett

was the drug that Daryl Strawberry was found to be taking a brain tonic that cause Gigantism?

Jedieb

LOL reaper, you can never have enough Simpsons references.

ReaperFett

Thats my baseball knowledge done with now

Albi Wan Yankovi

(that was Griffey who drank the tonic) By the way, has anyone seen Ozzie Smith lately?

ReaperFett

Oh yeah, Strawberry was Homer's replacement

Albi Wan Yankovi

"Darrrrrrryyyyyyyyl, Darrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyl." I guess the jeering really did get to him.