Thread: Lighting for figure displays...Question

JediBear

Lighting for figure displays...Question

I'm in the process of designing a shelf unit to display my figures, ships etc... I want to include lighting but I'm worried about what the lights might do to the figures. Can anyone recommend a good light source that won't damage my collection outright? I do know light will go to work on the plastic from day one, but i want to keep my collection as good of condition as possible for as long as possible. One lighing source I'm thinking of employing is rope lighting. I'd like to make grooves in the shelves and install the rope level with the shelf surface. Has anyone had any luck with rope lights? Any help would be most appreciated.

Bromine

There's a great detailed article on the subject of lighting's effects on plastic over at www.rebelscum.com in their Q&A section archives (not sure of the date). It's lengthy, but the main point I got out of it was that ANY light is bad, and direct light especially bad.

Jedieb

I remember the lighting disertation Bromine is referring to. In a Adam Pawlus Q & A a reader wrote in with a detailed explanation of how light breaks down the polymers in the plastics. Very lony, VERY boring. Basically, nothing is worse than good ol' sunlight. That's the number one figure killer. The main problem with your rope lighting may be its proximity to the figures. The light and the heat generated by the lights may prove to be a lethal combo. On the other hand, if the wattage of the bulbs is low enough you may not have a problem.

I suggest you go with Bromine's idea and find the letter the plastics expert wrote to Questions & Adam. I believe it's in one of the October or November archives.

JediBear

thanks for the info guys. I vaguely remember the article, too. I just couldn't remember where I'd seen it. I was thinking about the rope light and the heat & proximity issue last night. Would indirect lighting be a possible solution?

Jedieb

Indirect lighting would probably do the trick. When you get everything up give us a pic so we can admire your handywork.