Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas Destroys EU With One Word!

Darth Fenris

George Lucas Destroys EU With One Word!

With one name spoken in The Phantom Menace, Lucas destroyed an entire thread of the Expanded Universe. What was it? (so much for the damn novels, eh George?)

Darth Fenris

Okay here's a big hint... Its a name... If that doesn't give it away, then you need help.

Mara Jade1

I can't figure it out, I DO need help.

Atreyu

Me neither. Perhaps now is the time to post an answer.

Mu Satach 2

I'm not familiar enough with EU to even guess.

Darth Fenris

Ah well...

I had hopes I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I thought it was blatant. For years, people who read the novels understood that Alderaan's representative in the Senate was Bail Organa (he was rumored to be a major player in Episode 1 before it came out). When Senator Palpatine announces his nomination to run for Supreme Chancellor, Captain Panaka names one of the challengers "Bail Antilles, of Alderaan." This is doubly undoing, since fans have also seen the name Antilles when referring to the x-wing pilot named Wedge, the only minor role to appear in all three Trilogy films. According to the EU, his surname is Antilles and he is from Corellia. Perhaps though, there is a logical explanation for Lucas' choice of Antilles as the Alderaanian senator's name. In ANH, C-3PO refers to his last master as Captain Antilles, captain of the Tantive IV, which was the corvette carrying Leia and her plans. Just a thought.

Atreyu

Re: Ah well...

Captain Antilles was the captain of Leia's ship that was captured at the start of ANH - he isn't this Bail Antilles. You're right about Wedge's history (being born on Correlia and all) - he isn't related to this Bail Antilles either. Bail Organa and Bail Antilles are 2 different people as well (so I've heard). So how does it destroy the EU may I ask?

Bromine

If you're implying that because there's a Bail Antilles from Alderaan who is a political figure that there can't be a Bail Organa, that's not so. Bail could be a common name, or, as some have suggested, it might be a title, like Senator. I admit that the names are more confused now, but it doesn't really go against EU...yet.

Darth Fenris

All I was saying is that it is commonly accepted, though the novels and speculation (usually referred to as the Expanded Universe), that the Alderaanian senator at the time of Palpatine's rise was Bail Organa. The coincidence of TWO senators at the same time named Bail seems a little illogical. It also seems unlikely that two planets as diverse as Correlia and Alderaan would have a common surname show up twice throughout the story.

Atreyu

Whatever.

Darth Fenris

Yeah I know, it is a little anal, I suppose

SFake

Names...

I always assumed Bail was a first name as well... BUT.... But (while not keeping up with the Expanded Universe, so I may have missed this)... I always assumed that Darth was a first name as well... But then we come find out that it is a title.. Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Darth Vader.... So... then in essense, Bail may be on the same lines of a title. (Okay, go ahead and laugh if I just porved my ignorance as far as not knowing Darth was a title and not a name)

Reaper

Re: Names...

One must also remember that Bail Organa is roughly the same age as Obi-Wan. I think he'd be a little young to be a senator(Leia was, but she's an exception.). I think Bail Organa became a senator after the Clone Wars, and after his family was given rule over Alderran. I figure this is only a coincidence.

Bromine

Re: Names...

I can't agree that Bail Organa doesn't exist because another person with a similar name shows up in a similar place...Maybe he gets married and takes his wife's last name?

SFake

Last minute change?

I did not read the novelization of TPM, so I do not know if it is in there... but was Bail ANTILLIES a last minute change? As someone stated, logic would have it that Bail Organa would be around the same age as Obi-Wan Kenobi (or perhaps younger... if Anakin / Vader is Luke and Lea's father, Bail Organa could be theoretically around his age... since he is Leia's adopted father... but that is besides the point). The point being... if Bail Organa was a senator at the time of TPM and around the same age or older than Obi-Wan, that would make him very old by the time he sent Leia on her failed mission to Tatooine to retrieve "General" Kenobi. Could this age problem been discovered at the last minute, and could the name Antillies have been substituted very late? According to the Internet Movie Database, actor Adrian Dunbar is listed as "Bail Organa"... with the footnote of "uncredited (scenes deleted)" Does this change the price of Bantha "Fodder" on Tatooine? Not in the least... just something to think about..

Bromine

GL...

Just wanted to throw us an easter egg and watch us overanalyze it to death while he sits at his computer laughing his head off. Very funny, George.

SFake

Lucas's Easter Egg...

Bromine, "your insight serves you well..." You are probably right.

Bromine

Re: Lucas's Easter Egg...

Script Editor:"Bail Antilles is running for Chancellor..." GL:"No, no, you idiot! It's Bail ORGANA!" SE:"It is? But I've already sent out the copy." GL:"Oh, forget it. Go help design another dress for Amidala and let's hope no one notices the error." SE:"Don't worry. No one will care about someone's last name."

Atreyu

Good one Bromine.

Doc Milo

I know I'm late to this, but isn't it possible that Bail Organa might have been Amidala's age at the time of TPM. That he ran for senate some five or seven years later (ep2 doesn't take place until 10 yrs after TPM, right?) And that he took over as Alderaan's Senator at that time. I mean, we have Bill Clinton as President now, does that mean Bill Bradley can't be President in 2000 just because they have the same first names? Bail could be as common as Bill on Alderaan. And thus it wouldn't be that uncommon for people with the same first names to be elected to the same political office even serving back to back terms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast