Thread: Prequel EU superior to classic EU?

RHJediKnight

Prequel EU superior to classic EU?

I know it's way early to say right now, but I'm a little more than halfway through "Rogue Planet" by Greg Bear (it's good, not a whole lot of action so far but good), and I find it way better than most of the garbage they had written for the post-ROTJ EU. Plus, the Jedi Apprentice series, judging by word of mouth (haven't gotten my hands on any yet) are also very well written. Does this mean the prequel EU is better than the classic EU? And I wonder if it'll become a sort of competition...?

Bromine

Well, I think it has a lot to do with the overall facts and the overall story being more clearly defined. A lot of problems I had with OT EU was the fact that every author had their own explanations for the Force and they all tried to steer the overall story in their own direction.
    Not only did Episode 1 give us more facts about the SW Universe, but since we know what happens to the galaxy in the OT, Prequel EU all has to lead to this point. So, you can't have any majorly weird changes to the SW galaxy, because it would contradict the events of ANH.

RHJediKnight

Yeah, it gets kinda boring where every other OT EU book had some superweapon and the same old heroes say the same dialogue in different ways and the villains are the same, just look different...

Jedieb

I read most of the Original Trilogy EU and I've liked most of the stories. The Prequel EU is still very young so we'll have to wait and see. I can't say that I've enjoyed the Jedi Appentice books as much as the Young Jedi Knights series. I thought those books were halfway decent. But I did think that Rogue Planet was better than SOTE. So, I'll have to wait and see. I just hope I get to read some EU featuring Yoda one day. I think once the prequels are done and we see just what Yoda is capable of we'll see him in some prequel EU.

Bromine

Yeah, I think once all the movies are done, the authors will know their boundaries and not have to worry about contradicting any "canon" material.