Thread: A day of Upsets

Jedi Master Carr

A day of Upsets

The NCAA Tournament has started an already there has been 5 upsets. First Utah State beat Ohio State in a 5-12 matchup then two more Big ten teams went down with Wisconsin first losing to Georgia State and then Kent State beat Indiana. Also in a minor upset(if you call it one) Georgetown beat Arkansas. But the biggest one was yet to come as the 15 seed Hampton beat the 2 seed Iowa State in the biggest shocker of the tournament so far. This is why I love the NCAA tournament anything can happen it was great too today because except for a few games most of the games were close. Kentucky had trouble with Holy Cross, Maryland barley beat George Mason, Georiga and Missouri went down to the wire, St. Joes and Georiga tech was a great game. Now the East and West have been set for the next round and if I was Stanford I be smiling because Maryland is the highest seed left in their bracket, if they can get by St. Joes they will have to face either a weak cincinatti team or Kent state. In the lower half of the bracket Maryland will have a tough time with the former coach Lefty Drezel(sp) and Georgia State. And in the other game is between a 10 seed and a 15 seed which is an odd game that I expect Georgetown to win. If I had to guess this Regional Final I would say Georgetown vs Stanford. Out East everything is set for UCLA vs Duke next Thursday which will be a great game and Duke might even lose I think the other matchup will be Boston College vs Kentucky and I have no clue who will win either matchup. Well thats all for now I can't wait for tomorrow's games.

jjwr

I got killed in the Office Pool, I almost picked Utah St but changed it at the last second then seems like I got all the other upsets I picked wrong. Oh well.

From the way things are looking there should be some good matchups coming in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

CMJ

Today

...looks to have even MORE upsets. After the 1st 4 games were played 3 of the lower seeds won. WOW! Gonzaga did again....why don't they ever get seeded higher than 12 or 13?

Jedi Master Carr

Re: Today

Indiana State beat Oklahomha today and Butler spanked Wake especially in the first half with the score 43 to 10, how did Wake only score 10 points that is unbelievable. I got some of my pics right I did take Gonzaga, Butler, Georgia State. And like you, jjwr I almost took Utah State, I almost took Hampton but I didn't have enough courage and I wasn't sure if they would knock of Iowa State.

Darth23

That's what I love about the NCAA tournament. Not matter how strong your conference, or how much you've been on tv, if your team doesn't come to play on the say of the game, you're out.

With basketball, just a few geed players, a great coach or a great game plan can beat out
    a team that may technically be better than yours.

(Too bad the Evul U or F Gators have a pretty smooth ride through the weekend, though).

Jedi Master Carr

I don't know they have to play Temple next and Temple can be a challange. And I agree with you that is why I like college basketball too just about every team has a chance.

Jedieb

Ganzaga beat UVA, that's all I was really interested in. My buddy at work, a VA Tech graduate, rolled a TV into the school gym just to watch the game and he was really sweating it. It was a great ending and it made his day.

CMJ

Amazingly enough

This thread has been forgotten. It has been a great NCAA tournament this year! I think anyone of the last 4 teams could be considered the "favorite". I persoanlly think Arizona will take it all(I picked them to win the whole thing when I saw the brackets 3 weeks ago...so I have to stay with them).

CMJ

It should be a good one....

I want Duke to win...but I think Arizona has too much for them. It'll probably be a terrific game. I hope it's as good as the women's final was last night. That was an awesome title tilt.

Jedi Master Carr

Re: It should be a good one....

I am rooting for Arizona partly because Lute Olson has had such a tough year with his wife dying and I think it would be great to see his team win. I also think it will be a good game.

Darth23

Re: It should be a good one....

It's too bad there wasn't a REAL underdog in the FInal 4.

I'm goign with Duke - only because I get to make some people change their sigs for a month if they win.

CMJ

True Darth23

There wasn't a true Cinderella in the Final Four this year...BUT we got 2 in the Elite 8. I don't think anyone expected USC(a #6 seed) or Temple(a #11 seed) to advance as far as the Regional Finals.

Hart Kenobi

Re: True Darth23

D23, will I have to change my ezboard sig too?

buff jedi 2

Well its not north carolina tarheels but ill pull for an acc team anytime.go dookies (but beware the heels will be back next year

buff's bro

Darth23

D23, will I have to change my ezboard sig too?
    Nah, just Ccnet.

Did someone have Arizona? I'll have to check.

I almost always cheer for the underdog - unless I really like the favortie for some reason. Duke has been there way too much, NC too.

CMJ

Well...

After 9 years the Duke is once again King of the college basketball world. It was a great game...the 10 point margin doesn't do justice to the tilt.