Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Doctor Who, Series Eight - "Goodbye, sweetie."

I wasn't completely surprised [by the Missy reveal, since there had been a lot of speculation about Missy = Mistress = Master], but I still let out a huge screech when it happened. It was perfectly timed and perfectly executed as well. The whole episode was so well done, to the point that I actually was [crying along with Danny as his finger hovered over the delete button].

My one complaint is the same as yours, Droo. I really wish they'd toned down [the Cybermen] angle in the promo material. If they'd kept it hidden, it would have played out much better and much more effectively.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Brilliant series finale. These last two episodes have been brave enough to go to some truly dark places, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. In two episodes, Missy has become my favourite character in Doctor Who.

This was me during most of tonight's episode ---->

You're right, Droo, the series went very, very dark in these last 2 episodes. I understand the BBC got some complaints about it, but I appreciated the show being daring enough to go there.

Missy was FABULOUS. [She can't really be gone for good, can she???]

They were pretty sneaky with the special effects this time around: [I don't think we actually saw a Cyberman shoot/vapourise anyone else the entire episode, so we don't actually "know" that's what getting shot by a Cyberman is supposed to look like, as opposed to an invisibility ray or a dimensional shift or... something else. Aren't they normally red pew pew lasers? Bearing in mind that the Master/Mistress's signature thing for most of the character's existence is going to extraordinary lengths to avoid dying, I am 100% positive we will see her/him again at some point.]

Gutted about [Osgood], especially after the bow tie feels. I think that's the thing that had the most impact with these episodes: the fact that there was nothing glamorous about any of it. Danny did a pretty good job of channelling Idris Elba from Pacific Rim towards the end there... and I kinda like the Stark Industries Cybermen: not even remotely subtle, but pretty friggin' cool.

And thank you, Man Scout, for hearing me when I yelled "Cloudbase is Captain Scarlet!" at the screen. Nice to have those references back to the Valiant and such: they did a really good job of making it feel like there was a whole wealth and weight of lore building up to this. Wonder how long Moffat has actually known who "the woman in the shop" is, or if it was something intentionally vague that he just took wonderful advantage of.

And now I'm going to go sit and be miserable that we won't get [Osgood and CyberDanny as companions next year.]
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

I know, I was so hoping for [Osgood as companion that I nearly screamed when Missy killed her. Breaking her glasses was just another stab in the heart. And then to add insult to injury, Missy had to go blow the hatch and there went Kate... I was so grateful that at least Kate survived, and as a fan from the days of Classic Who, seeing the Brigadier in Cyberman form and knowing his last action was to save his daughter was one of the most beautifully bittersweet things I've ever seen on this show.]

Overall series 8 was SUCH an improvement over series 7, and these last 2 episodes in particular were spectacular.

I got a little bit choked up about [CyberBrigadier. That little speech about how love isn't an emotion, it's a promise... and to have the Brigadier not just save his daughter from falling out of the plane, but also save the Doctor from having to kill someone? Given how upset Eleven was when he found out the Brigadier had died, how that was the event that brought his little gallivant around the cosmos to a close, having the Doctor's back was another one of those love-promises.

Love/affection pretty much seems to have been the theme for Season 8, with all kinds of interesting twists. Clara most definitely loves the Doctor in a way, what with her being unable to leave him even though she should, the lies it made her tell, etc; and what she accidentally said to Danny reinforces that. Then there's the Doctor's affection for and obedience of Clara; his weird and twisted affection for his childhood best friend; the sacrifices people were prepared to make for Clara during the heist episode, and the fact that the entire plot hinged on the alien beastie's girlfriend being held hostage; that whole mother/daughter/sister theme in the episode with the trees; Robin and Marian; it's all been about how many different ways there are that you can "love" a person, and all of the stupid things you end up doing because of it.]

I really enjoyed the Christmas special yesterday. I started out thinking that it was a little, um, "derivative" of certain other productions, but then at least we got a clear explanation for why the story unfolded that way.

I'm still really happy with Peter Capaldi as Twelve. [The pure joy he conveyed as Twelve taking the reins of Santa's sleigh really tickled me to no end.]

I'm also really really happy that [Jenna Coleman is staying with the show. As I've said before, I didn't really like Clara much during the seventh season, but the eighth season made me do a complete 180. I really do like Clara now, and I think the chemistry between her and Twelve is great. I'm looking forward to seeing the two of them continue their adventures.]

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678