Thread: More Little Moments

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Closed More Little Moments

The notion of 'quiet' was a rarity these days, though thankfully those rare instances were becoming more numerous. With her post aboard the Dauntless made permanent, Loklorien s'Ilancy busied herself with the duties associated with her rank. And of course with the duties that came with being Dan's official adviser. It was a never-ending waterfall of paperwork that she still at times had difficulty grasping. But at least she had been allowed the courtesy of seeing to her tasks more or less from the comfort of the quarters shared between herself, the General, and their daughter. Such small blessings were vastly appreciated; now moreso than ever.

Early evenings were spent much the same as those that came before, and as s'Il had effectively commandeered Dan's desk her own datapads and documents had begun to overtake those of his own - which in all reality were hers as well. It was what happened when one was the gateway to an individual higher up. Of course she grudgingly acknowledged that she was little more than a glorified secretary, but all the same there was something within her that felt compelled to filter and scan the documents, requests, and other flotsam that was sent his way. And on the other side of the credit chit she was relentless in editing and proofreading whatever he sent out. Which was, quite honestly, a good thing. His handwriting was abysmal and something she had sworn on more than one occasion to be some proto-form of aurabesh that was little more than scribbles and dashes.

One such hardcopy she had in front of her now. Brow knit in concentration, the Lupine worked relentlessly to copy her husband's nearly illegible writing to a much more legible datapad. Ensconced at the desk that Dan had begrudgingly ceded to her, s'Il doggedly pressed onward, word by word.

Teagan had returned home from her studies group hours previous, and now the little girl was happily occupying herself for the time being - thankfully in her room. The sound of some children's holo-program filtered through the closed bedroom door in muted tones, but it was nothing that would be too distracting.

She was dimly aware of the holo growing quiet, and the sound of Teagan's door opening before soft footsteps could be heard from the short hallway.

Still engrossed in her work, s'Il gave her daughter a passing glance as the girl moved to stand beside her chair. Both were silent as Teagan placed small hands at the edge of the desk, her head angled to stare up at her mother as she worked.

At least a minute passed before the little Lupine finally spoke up.

Engrossed in her task, s'Il furrowed her brow as she continued working.

"Hm?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG
    ...my daddy smells like wine

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    "I said I still don't get it."

Dama was always working these days, though it was sort of nice that they weren't always having to leave Daddy to go to the Wheel anymore. Of course, that meant that seeing Wyl had become decidedly trickier. Dama kept saying they would, but as the days passed, Teagan was beginning to doubt her Dama's words.

But, with the news of something so profound that it caused her to be instantly skeptical, returning to the Wheel and Wyl had been suddenly placed on hold.

It was so outlandish. It was so unbelievable! Ever since she'd been told, the girl could not hide her skepticism, and over the last week she'd tried to figure it all out. To no avail. Nothing of it made sense, and nothing of it was right at all.

"It just doesn't make any sense!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

At that, the Lupine paused. The hardcopy and datapad both were gently set down as she leaned back in her chair. Turning to look at Teagan, s'Il gave her daughter a confused look. It was plain to see that the girl was perplexed.

"Sweetheart, what are you talking about?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She frowned.

Dama saying she didn't know only furthered her frustrations, and she let out a huffed breath.

"I mean... you know."

A hand detached itself from the edge of the desk to point a finger at Dama's midsection.

"That."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Oh.

So that was it.

While she'd certainly not begun showing obvious signs of her pregnancy, s'Il had become more than aware of the beginning stages of that telltale bulge of budding new life.

In an instant any thoughts of finishing her work were dashed.

"Teagan."

How to even begin explaining?

"What don't you get about it, Darling."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Another huffed breath, only this time through her nostrils.

"Everything!"

Dama wasn't helping to make this any easier to figure out.

"I just... I don't see how it works! I've tried to figure it out, and I can't. I mean it's just... "

Basic failed her, and she lapsed into Bast'yr.

"Ar'akhu kheh'runa'ek!"

At the decidedly stern look from her mother - maybe saying that the whole thing was a 'bucket of garbage' (only she hadn't exactly said garbage) was a little much - Teagan held up her hands.

"Sorry."

She went on before Dama could interject with any sort of punishment for the expletive.

"But look. The sizes; they're just impossible! It's all so... impossible."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The shock at hearing Teagan swear, even in Bast'yr, was enough to cause her shock, but it was this notion of sizes that made her grimace in thought. This was becoming more of an impossible situation with each word spoken. The Core could simply vanish into a black hole and s'Il would have an easier time of explaining what had happened to cause that.

Salvation came in the form of an opening door, and both mother and daughter turned to look at the poor soul who'd had the unfortunate luck to land himself slap-center in this dilemma...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

AKA
    Charley
    When you're married and / or have kids, you have to be an interpreter of looks. Not everything important is said, and if you just wait until a conversation happens, the damage is already done.

"What did I do?"

Okay so it was more of a guess than a solid interpretation, but he'd start with that one and go from there.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

With the sight of Daddy, Teagan breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Perhaps now with the both of them here, they could together explain to her how this worked! It didn't make sense, but perhaps soon enough it would; after all, her father was usually real good at explaining things.

"I'm confused," she proclaimed, half in answer to his question and half in self-pity.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

And all that she herself could offer was an expression as near to relief at the sight of him as anything. The root cause of this small problem was obvious at least, but the specifics were still shrouded in mystery. If she could only ascertain what those specifics were, she'd be in a much better position.

With Teagan now focused on Dan, the Lupine mouthed a single word to him so that he would be on the same level of understanding as her.

Baby.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The look he sent back to Lok was more like: no! no! no! this is your job! but then again nothing ever made sense in these matters, did they. Dan reluctantly stepped forward, remembering at the last moment to remove his coat and hang it up before sitting on a corner of the desk near his wife.

"Well, Teagan...."

But there was nothing else.

"...well..."

He cleared his throat.

"You know Dama is having a baby, right? Well, babies are very small. Before they are babies they are even smaller, and..."

Okay, ball is in her court now, she has to follow his lead!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

"But how can they be smaller? Kids don't get much smaller than me!"

And in that she had confessed the reality of her problems with this whole thing.

"It's just not possible for a kid to fit into a grownup! Kids are just too big, and besides you're supposed to buy your kids anyway."

A helpless shrug was sent to both of her parents, and she kept on.

"It's just so confusing, because Dama isn't as big as some of the other girls I've seen around and there's no way she can fit anything even half as big as me into her tummy!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

And there it was.

With an inner sigh of relief at having to dodge the more obvious talk that she had been beginning to dread was the case, this was nothing more than an issue of size. Of course that consolation was not much when faced with still having to explain it.

She cleared her throat.

"Sweetheart, listen to me."

Reaching out, s'Il took both of Teagan's hands in hers.

"Kids start out very small. They just grow the older they get, is all; in fact, you've been growing too. You weren't always as big as you are now, you know."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

The look that spread across her features was one of near-horror, and Teagan felt her mouth slightly open in surprise. Only, this wasn't one of those kinds of surprises that she liked. This was a bad kind of surprise, and it only served to deepen her disbelief.

"No," she shook her head, her voice a whisper.

"That's not true... "

As far as she was concerned, she was the same size she'd always been for as long as she could remember.

"That's impossible!"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Well, don't take our word for it."

Dan reached over to the desk, picking up a holocube that he thumbed through, eventually finding what he wanted. He projected a hologram of a tiny, pudgy little cherub, half immersed in suds in a kitchen sink.

"Do you know who that is?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

At that her mouth dropped open.

"I thought Dama made those pictures up for you!"

Pulling her hands from Dama's, the girl placed both palms to either side of her face as she stared incredulously at the holo. For the longest time she had believed the supposed 'baby pictures' were nothing but a farce; after all, you bought your kids, and they always came in the same size - the size that she was now.

But, staring wide-eyed at each picture as Daddy cycled through them, all that she once knew to be truth was suddenly crumbling all around her to fall in zillions of little bits at her feet.

Finally she looked over to Dama, and her voice dropped to a whisper."

Was I really that small?"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The elder Lupine gave a gentle smile.

"You were."

She reached out to pull Teagan's hands down.

"You've even grown taller than you were when we first started living with your Father."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "See, kiddo, it's kind of like when we planted those flowers, you remember?"

Dan pointed to the potted plant in the corner under a UV sconce.

"We got the dirt ready, put in a little tiny seed, then gave it water and a lot of attention, and it grew. But it all started from a little tiny seed."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She followed his pointing finger with her eyes, her gaze narrowing at the flowers that they'd planted many months before. The blossoms had come in, and their vibrant yellows and reds added a touch of extra color to everything around them.

Her little brow knit in deep concentration, and Teagan pursed her lips as her mind worked through what her Father had said. She supposed it made sense, but in a roundabout way.

So perhaps kids were got at stores, just... as seeds?

She breathed out a long sigh.

"Then, if I've been growing... " she bit her lip, "... was I ever as small as that?"

She pointed at Dama's tummy.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Leaning forward in her seat, s'Il gave an easy smile.

"Oh yes, certainly."

Arms going out, she pulled her daughter into her lap.

"In fact, look at your Daddy," a slender finger pointed at Dan.

"See that little twinkle in his eye?"

Teagan gave a cautious nod, her eyes locked on Dan's.

"You used to be one of those."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast