Thread: RP Scenario "leads"

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Well my point was that you could contact someone and they could point you to who you needed to talk to. So I'm not sure you're saying something different? If its just a list of people involved in a scenario... Obviously we all would be willing to talk to new people and help them get started.

I was thinking more of a greeter, someone who knows things and who is willing to have conversations going over how we do things and where you can get started. That is, in my mind, simpler for a newcomer than having to pick off a list when you might not be sure what you want to do in the first place?

But really, anything we end up doing will be fine, whether it's a huge informational post with lots of people to contact or not. Obviously if you want to be on a list to be contacted with questions you will need to be upfront about any LOA's you might be taking so others can step up in the meantime.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I was thinking more of a greeter, someone who knows things and who is willing to have conversations going over how we do things and where you can get started. That is, in my mind, simpler for a newcomer than having to pick off a list when you might not be sure what you want to do in the first place?
    I don't understand why the greeters need to be setting-specific.

If the support they're providing is that general, why does it matter if they're an X-Men greeter or a DC greeter? Surely we just need people to greet people to the boards in general.. if you need specific information about a particular setting/faction, that's when you get pointed at the "information people".

Seems like they are two separate roles here.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    This feels like its getting more complicated than it needs to be.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    This feels like its getting more complicated than it needs to be.
    I agree, I'm not sure what happened, lol.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It terms of greeters, I think agreeing on that some people would like to introduce newbies to the forum, get them on their feet, etc is probably is complex as it needs to be? The wiki and such is a separate thing I think.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Nevertheless, we have raised an issue which is relevant: the threads for new people, like the Wheel example I posted earlier. They would be invaluable tools for both new people and folks trying to assist new roleplayers in their integration. Sometimes you need a chunk of informative text to fall back on, and what we're proposing is having that information available all in the one place for the convenience of all. Granted, it's not bang on the subject of these greeters, but it's still closely related to the larger issue of how to help new people onto their feet, and that doesn't have to be over-complicated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Nevertheless, we have raised an issue which is relevant: the threads for new people, like the Wheel example I posted earlier. They would be invaluable tools for both new people and folks trying to assist new roleplayers in their integration. Sometimes you need a chunk of informative text to fall back on, and what we're proposing is having that information available all in the one place for the convenience of all. Granted, it's not bang on the subject of these greeters, but it's still closely related to the larger issue of how to help new people onto their feet, and that doesn't have to be over-complicated at all.
    This.

Greeters to greet people. Threads with brief summaries and suggested IM contacts. Wiki pages for bonus information. Nice and simple: not complicated at all.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

If the summary is brief enough it can even be a blurb at the top of a forum that shows up if an unregistered user is looking at the board. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to assign different text chunks to separate forums but I'm guessing "not too hard."

Regardless, can we start a separate thread for summary thread content creation and use this one for volunteers to volunteer?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    This.

Greeters to greet people. Threads with brief summaries and suggested IM contacts. Wiki pages for bonus information. Nice and simple: not complicated at all.
    Alrighty then. Make it so, volunteers.

Regardless, can we start a separate thread for summary thread content creation and use this one for volunteers to volunteer?
    I presume Droo and Andrew are still up for this? I am.

Do we want as many volunteers as possible, or do we want a small group so there's only a short list of names?

Do we want to have a stickied "Welcome to SW-Fans!" thread that lists PM and IM details for all the greeters - something that new members can read, and then contact who they want, if they want - or are the greeters going to take the initiative and hop in to all of the "Hi, I'm new" threads to provide that information?

Do we want to do anything to make greeters' accounts more visually different from other accounts (to make it easier to spot who to PM)? A custom title? Something in the signature? A little prefects badge to edit into the corner of your avatar?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We could have a message that appears to unregistered people viewing the board? I don't know that such a thing would replace a stickied thread though, and probably a stickied thread in each OOC forum (gen and SW) would be sufficient (instead of or in conjunction with a message for unregistered members)?

edit: this is what our logged out board tells us currently:

Welcome to the SW-Fans.Net Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    So it wouldn't be hard to just add a little, even if it's just a link to the thread in each OOC forum where the PM info is.
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Mar 7th, 2013 at 02:15:49 PM.

We could have a message that appears to unregistered people viewing the board?
    That message disappears as soon as you register and log in, though. Would we not need/want a message that new members would see after they're logged in? You can't PM people as an unregistered user.

If we're expecting / hoping for a large influx of new members, is it worth having a newbie forum? A lot of other boards have somewhere for new people to introduce themselves. If we had one of those, we could not only put the "Getting Started" thread there... we could perhaps have a brief "Hi, I'm (name); I've been a member for this long and my post a lot in Settings X and Y" post from each of our greeters stickied as well?

That might make the prospect of PMing a greeter for help a little less daunting... makes them a person instead of just an account. or something.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Hmm a newbie forum is a good idea.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    A newbie forum could be interesting. It might also eliminate the need to have threads summaries (which are only editable by the thread starter and therefore perhaps liable to go out of date), as greeters would presumably be posting to welcome each person and point them towards the forums they might like, wiki pages they might find useful, etc.

I think I missed something here. What were we doing with thread summaries?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Summaries of settings, IM contacts for greeters/volunteers.

OH. You mean threads that are summaries, not summaries of threads. For some reason, I thought you were talking about a way to have a thread description (in the same way that there are forum descriptions).

I still think that we should have at least some of that stuff in a thread. Greeters shouldn't be the only source for that kind of information: some new members might not like the idea of having a greeter holding their hand and might want to fend for themselves, and some of that information might be useful to players on an ongoing basis as well. I don't know very much about Redención House, and I know zero about World of Darkness: if I ever wanted to get involved with either of those, I might find it useful to have that info to hand.

I'm in the process of starting a separate discussion about that.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I was going to suggest that the greeters post some useful info into the newbies "Hello!" thread and then point them to more in depth stuff on the wiki (...that way anyone can edit/update the relevant info and we don't end up duplicating too much stuff between threads and the wiki)

Certainly, some stuff can be in Hello threads... and a lot of stuff probably should be on the wiki, like I suggested earlier.

However, it might help to have some stuff right there in front of your face when you're browsing the forums. If I was browsing the forums as a new person, clicked into General to find a bajillion different settings and thought "What the balls is this?", having to tab over to the wiki and rummage for that information might not be the most convenient / accessible / user friendly thing in the world. A stickied thread that says "DC! This is briefly what the DEO is... click here to know more!" might be handy.

Like Holly has been asking though... that's a discussion for another thread. Specifically, this one:

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=410

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Thanks

Ok, so if you want to volunteer to greet, or PM, or post in a newbie forum when we get da n00bs, then post here and I'll add you to this very comprehensive list. Maybe three people for each non-SW rp type and try to get one from each faction for the SW? I think that actually turns into four (Jedi, Rebel, Imp, Darkside).

Please volunteer your main account that you use the most, that way you will be sure to be checking your PMs.

WoD
    1. Lilaena De'Ville
    2. Droo
    3. Dasquian
    Mutants
    1. Dragon
    2. Droo
    3. Lilaena De'Ville
    Star Wars
    1. Ilias Nytrau
    2. open
    3. open
    4. open
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Mar 10th, 2013 at 02:09:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast