Thread: Let's Read Comics

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Art Let's Read Comics

This past year or so I have made the jump from occasionally buying a graphic novel, to visit my local comic book shop every week to pick up new issues. It occurs to me that there are other people here reading comics (sometimes the very same comics that I am ) so why don't we have a thread about them? to share our inevitable anguish

Titles that I currently 'pull' / subscribe to:

DC
    • Batgirl
    • Batman
    • Batwoman
    • Batman and Robin

Marvel
    • All New X-Men
    • Captain Marvel
    • Thor: God of Thunder

• Lost Vegas
    • Mourning Glories
    • Saga

If you don't read comics and would like recommendations on a graphic novel or on-going series to try, post up which characters you like or would like to explore more, or even just what kind of stories / genres you would be interested in reading
    Last edited by Dasquian Belargic; Jun 16th, 2013 at 11:35:05 AM.

I'm only reading DC at the moment; I'm a little bit behind because of when in the month my money comes in, but I'm playing catch-up with -
    • Batman
    • Batgirl
    • Batwoman
    • Aquaman
    • Green Arrow

I've also been reading the Smallville Season 11 comics, as well as the Arrow tie-ins. I'm not enjoying Green Arrow a huge amount (yet) because something feels a little 'off', but I'm sorta sticking with him out of solidarity.

My next wave of purchases is probably going to include some Batman and Robin, and possibly some Flash. I've been toying with getting some Green Lantern comics as well, but there are just so many series on the go right now: going to have to do a lot more research before I do that.

Oh, and I need to buy more Saga, because it is amazing.

Flux
    I'm not reading anything in DC. They really only had my attention when I was a kid, and then it was their cartoons, not their comics, that I enjoyed.

For Marvel...well, I have the list here.

Marvel

Avenging Spider-Man
    The Superior Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Ms. Marvel
    (Is she Captain Marvel now? Or is that different?)

Plus whatever one-shoes and mini-series catch my eye. I've been reading Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog since I was 10, so it's a little late to stop now. Archie only just started a comic for Mega Man, and it's been a good run so far. I've got some Ninja Turtles stuff from IDW, and just picked up a big hardback collection of original Eastman and Laird TMNT comics (which were holy crap amazing), so I'm set to go for a while here.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    I'm only reading DC at the moment; I'm a little bit behind because of when in the month my money comes in, but I'm playing catch-up with -
    • Batman
    • Batgirl
    • Batwoman
    • Aquaman
    • Green Arrow

I've also been reading the Smallville Season 11 comics, as well as the Arrow tie-ins. I'm not enjoying Green Arrow a huge amount (yet) because something feels a little 'off', but I'm sorta sticking with him out of solidarity.

My next wave of purchases is probably going to include some Batman and Robin, and possibly some Flash. I've been toying with getting some Green Lantern comics as well, but there are just so many series on the go right now: going to have to do a lot more research before I do that.

Oh, and I need to buy more Saga, because it is amazing.
    How far through with Green Arrow are you? Apparently it really picks up around issue #17 - they got a new writer and artist, so it apparently feels like a mini reboot.

The guy who has been writing all of the Green Lantern books for the last 9 years is also leaving as of June, so it might be a good time then to hop on board since (IIRC?) the current writer is planning to tie up a whole bunch of story lines before he passes the baton.

Batman and Robin is definitely worth reading, although... you know. Sad.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Marvel

Avenging Spider-Man
    The Superior Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Ms. Marvel
    How much have you read lately? Because Amazing Spider-Man, isn't that kind of... over?

Also yes, Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) is Captain Marvel as of July last year

Geoff Johns, the current GL writer is amazing. He wrote the Aquaman stuff I've read, and it totally made me fall in love with the character, and I've read bits and pieces of his other stuff and really enjoyed it. He's also responsible for a lot of the best episodes of DC television in recent years. He seems to really "get" characters, and that's really enjoyable to read/watch/experience.

I'm tempted to hold fire on GL until I hear some feedback on what his successor does with it. I'd hate to start reading Geoff Johns stuff, get hooked on it, and then have the new guy not live up to my enjoyment factor.

I'm still a few issues behind on Green Arrow, so I'll soldier through. The first arc was interesting, but the character just didn't "feel" right. He didn't have any of the wit, charm, or morality that I love about Arrow. When the Smallville comics are doing a better job of writing Green Arrow than mainstream DC is, that's worrisome.

Zhe'chot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Marvel

Avenging Spider-Man
    The Superior Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    Ms. Marvel
    How much have you read lately? Because Amazing Spider-Man, isn't that kind of... over?

Also yes, Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) is Captain Marvel as of July last year
    I don't know if it is or not. I'm only just getting the chance to read the latest issues today. I'll check back in with you later tonight and let you know. I got poor, then I enlisted, so I lost track of Ms. Danvers a bit. I knew she was wearing the old Captain Marvel costume, but didn't know if she was taking the name or not.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    Geoff Johns, the current GL writer is amazing. He wrote the Aquaman stuff I've read, and it totally made me fall in love with the character, and I've read bits and pieces of his other stuff and really enjoyed it. He's also responsible for a lot of the best episodes of DC television in recent years. He seems to really "get" characters, and that's really enjoyable to read/watch/experience.

I'm tempted to hold fire on GL until I hear some feedback on what his successor does with it. I'd hate to start reading Geoff Johns stuff, get hooked on it, and then have the new guy not live up to my enjoyment factor.

I'm still a few issues behind on Green Arrow, so I'll soldier through. The first arc was interesting, but the character just didn't "feel" right. He didn't have any of the wit, charm, or morality that I love about Arrow. When the Smallville comics are doing a better job of writing Green Arrow than mainstream DC is, that's worrisome.
    Oh I mis-remembered, it's actually a whole bunch of different creative teams picking up the Lantern books: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-...tive-team.html

From what I heard about the new Green Arrow team, they are improving the book dramatically

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhe'chot View Post
    I don't know if it is or not. I'm only just getting the chance to read the latest issues today. I'll check back in with you later tonight and let you know. I got poor, then I enlisted, so I lost track of Ms. Danvers a bit. I knew she was wearing the old Captain Marvel costume, but didn't know if she was taking the name or not.
    If this is the first catch up you're having in a while, you've got a big surprise in store!

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    I only read Deadpool and Deadpool related comics. Period.

Zhe'chot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhe'chot View Post
    If this is the first catch up you're having in a while, you've got a big surprise in store!
    I know I can't wait.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Zereth Lancer View Post
    I only read Deadpool and Deadpool related comics. Period.
    Are you reading the current storc arc, with the undead presidents?

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    I actually haven't picked one up in awhile so I'm pretty behind. I think the newest one I read was the one with the Hit Monkey. I need to update my library :/

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I haven't read any of his stories, but some of the covers I've seen on the shelves lately have been... interesting

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Wow, this is a slow week for me. Only two books to pick up:

All New X-Men #8
    Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1

I also got Batman: Ego and Other Tails trade out from the library Discovering that my local library has a fairly decently sized graphic novels section was awesome.

I added Batman and Robin to my pull list tonight, looking forward to the direction that book is going to be taking after the events of Batman, Incorporated #8

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    Let's see here...

Abstract Studio
    Rachel Rising

BOOM! Studios
    Adventure Time
    Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake
    what of it? They're fun.

DC - mostly new 52
    All Star Western (Ok so technically I'm only up to #4...)
    Batman (and a few others in the bat-family when storylines cross)
    Batman and Robin (only up to #6 here but... best Robin everrrr. Yes I've Read Batman Incorporated #8)
    Batwoman (Second the - the art is SO EFFING PRETTY)
    Suicide Squad (really more of a guilty pleasure. Not sure if I'd ever recommend it)
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (Just started this arc/series)

Chew
    Choker (hurrry upppp Bens!)
    Lady Mechanika (Wish Comixology would give me #3 already *grump*)
    Morning Glories (My tattoo artist got me hooked on this. Mechanika too!)

Marvel
    All-New X-Men
    Captain Marvel <3 (Thanks Jones)
    Hawkeye
    Nextwave: Agents of HATE (catching up but oh my... the lols)
    Thor: God of Thunder

Titan
    Lenore

Vertigo
    American Vampire

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Mourning Glories is stupidly good. I blasted through the first 3 collected editions in one afternoon.

Also dayum Sarah you pull a whole lotta stuff!

I just spent $60 in one go for comics. Bought the rest of the issues of Batgirl and Saga that I didn't have; picked up the first couple of issues of Batman and Robin, and Flash; got some more Aquaman; and probably something else though I don't remember what it was.

I'm still behind on Batwoman and Green Arrow, and I'm tempted by Batman Incorporated, a couple of the Green Lantern titles, and maybe one or two of the Justice League ones as well (damn them for having a series that features Booster Gold!). Still haven't dipped into any Marvel as yet, but Tumblr keeps showing me so much awesome Thor and Captain Marvel art that I might have to fix that.

I've never really bought comics before, so I'm still feeling my way around to find the sort of stuff I like. Also, it's super-difficult for me to read books at the moment what with the brain symptoms of the being ill stuff, so comics is basically the only way of getting stories into my brain without a TV being involved, which is why I'm going a little OTT on my acquisitions. Hopefully once I'm caught up I'll be able to settle into the routine of just pulling the latest issues of stuff.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Grant Morrison's run on Batman Inc is ending as of issue #12 so if you want to read it and don't mind waiting, I'd recommend holding out for the collected hardback: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Incor...1&sr=8-2-spell

On the Marvel side of things, apart from the stuff I pull I have also really enjoyed Avengers, New Avengers, Journey into Mystery and Uncanny X-Men. Young Avengers is supposed to be great too.

I will be picking up X-Men (the all female team ) when that launches next month.

Also re: this weeks books, I know I harp on about the art in Batwoman but I love the style in All New X-Men. All the colours just... pop and the expressions and great. I haven't read through Guardians of the Galaxy yet so no opinions to offer. I did think about getting the first Age of Ultron issue, but only because it was so shiny and pretty. I restrained myself.

Will that collected issue be available in digital format as well, or is it only something you can get for a physical copy? I'm really enjoying having digital copies of everything: traversing London's public transport is so much more enjoyable when I've got comics on my phone to read while I do it. I'm also obsessive about getting sets of things, and it's already kinda bugging me that I have physical rather than digital copies of the first four Aquaman issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast