Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Pacific Rim (2013)

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    OK let's avoid to get the license for Neon Genesis Evangelion and throw in the voice of GlaDOS so that nobody notices it....

Anyway I like it!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Did anyone when making that dumb trailer ever stop to think some people dont suffer from ADHD or dont enjoy shhhaaaakkkyyyyyy cam?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Hahaha yeah I first thought of Evangelion when I watched it as well. It looks like a fun romp at any rate

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    throw in the voice of GlaDOS so that nobody notices it....
    Well, if you want a sinister female robot voice, nobody does it better!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Well, if you want a sinister female robot voice, nobody does it better!
    "You have 2 mnutes to reach minimum safe distance" has vastly more menace than GlaDOS ever mustered.

Oh internet, I love you.

It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I've seen the trailer for this twice now, paired with Man of Steel, and am I alone in finding that, for all it's epic action, the whole thing looks boring as hell? It could simply be that the footage I've seen sells the film on its action alone and, admittedly, I have a strong dislike for that kind of marketing anyway. Also, big robots have never done it for me, which is why Transformers bored me to tears. But I do really like Guillermo del Toro, and it's not like him to do a film that seems so obviously brainless, but thus far, this film looks like a standard offering from Michael Bay.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Did I tell you about the time I stole fire from the gods? I couldn't fence it, it was too hot. I really got burned on that deal...

AKA
    Andrew
    I'm somewhat amused that this movie exists, since it's so obviously a send-up of Japanese monster movies - they even called the monsters Kaiju in that last trailer. It has that earnesty-in-absurdity angle down pretty well. But to be honest, that doesn't particularly make me want to see it. Like Droo, I don't really see how it can be sustained over the length of a movie. Unless there's a lot more to this story than is apparent from the trailers, three minutes of giant-monster on giant-robot action at a time is sufficient for me.

I do kinda want to see a RiffTrax for this movie, though.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Couple new clips from this movie...

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS

Went and saw this yesterday with some friends. I went in expecting a fun movie. I got a really fun movie. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Pacific Rim is the most fun movie of the summer. Really great.

The best acting was from the girl they got to play Mako as a child. (I may be misremembering her name )

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    I saw this back on opening day. I found the concept fascinating and the Gundam Vs. Godzilla fights incredible, but the in between was kind of so-so and not very entertaining. The story was marred with horrendous plot holes Like them forgetting to use the Jaeger's blades until way into the movie, when in actuality these would have made the earlier fights much easier and might have even saved the brothers at the start if they had used the blades instead of going in with their martial artist fisting. Also the way the Asian and Russian/Siberian Jaegers were easily demolished was a complete let down.

The movie was fun, don't get me wrong. I don't think I could call it a great movie, but it was fun. The technology concepts on display were really fun and thought provoking. I really enjoyed the Jaegers being huge, lumbering machines with intricate interconnected parts instead of the simple limbs and joints you get in the older Giant Robot Suit fiction (such as Gundam and Robotech). It's definately a movie you need to see, but just once. I don't think I could drag myself into the theater again to see it.

I also got all kinds of X-Men Sentinels feels.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Regarding your plot hole spoiler the kaiju have highly acidic, toxic blood. All of the Jaegers had some sort of bladed weapon (gipsy dangers were probably installed during the retrofit so the main guy didn't know about them) but spilling a couple million gallons of acid toxic waste in the middle of a city would be undesirable. The usual plan was fight the kaiju in the water before they get to a population center, but the kaiju makers were making them stronger and smarter and tailoring them to the jaegers (especially the ones we see after Charlie Day drifts with the kaiju brain because now they know everything he knows).

not a plot hole

Fred Fiddich
    Holy shit, this movie you guys.

Re: the stuff that's been in spoiler tags: I'm not sure that people "forgot" that Jaegars had bladed weapons. When Mako activated the sword on Gypsy, it seemed to come as a surprise to Generic Blonde Hero (I'm bad with names), which seemed to me like it was something that Mako had added during her refurbishments. We then later saw the Mark V using blades underwater; she was probably EMP'd too quickly to use them in the main fight. Like Holly pointed out, making kaiju bleed all over Hong Kong was probably a pretty undesirable thing... but more than that, they were "cutting blades" rather than "stabbing blades", which need momentum from swinging to do damage... not something you can easily do in the cramped confines of a city.

To be honest though, if you went into the movie to over-analyse the plot, I think you probably missed the point of the movie. Who cares is your plot is coherent when you've got a giant robot that does rocket powered punches?

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, and the second it's released on DVD I plan to add it to my "make me feel better when I'm ill" repository of movies.

Also, two closing points.

1. Idris Elba should be in all the things.

2. ...Idris Elba should be in all the things.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I finally got around to seeing this and I'm glad to say Guillermo del Toro did not disappoint. Well, not wholly. I have to admit that, while efforts were clearly made to keep each of the battles unique, I personally found the fight sequences utterly boring. Big robots hitting big monsters just doesn't do it for me.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed everything else about this film. It is a film bursting with wonderfully realised ideas, and everything is delicious on the eyes, from robots, to locations, to technology, brought to life with beautiful attention to detail. These are the reasons I love Guillermo del Toro films, he is a master of invention, and I do find myself mourning the fact that he didn't get the chance to do his two Hobbit films after all. There's a broad spread of characters, who are all enjoyable in their own way, although the science duo stole the show for me for pure comic relief. Plot-wise, there was plenty that was predictable, right down to the ending, but that wasn't a problem for me at all. It's a film of spectacle, first and foremost, and I enjoyed it for what it was. Shame about all those fighting robots and monsters, though. What was that all about!?