Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

A whole lot of extended universe is crap though? I liked the first Timothy Zahn series, and pretty much after that it was worthless.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It varies in quality, but Disney don't necessarily need to adapt existing novels. When I say EU, I mean the boarder EU... i.e. the Star Wars "universe" as a setting, in which you can tell a whole variety of different stories. As long as they don't try to make everything about Skywalkers and Solos, or link everything new into original trilogy somehow, I don't see why they can't create interesting stuff.

Personally I'm more excited about this than any other Star Wars related announcement in a long time. Previously, I would have been interested but ultimately resigned to the fact that Lucas couldn't come up with anything decent - but now, it feels like there will be more freedom... freedom to get away from resting on the laurels of the OT, referencing itself all the time, and instead to look to other fresh possibilities.

The Original BuffJedi
    Quote Originally Posted by CMJ View Post

I guess when you boil it down to it, SW is the story about a father and son. I am not sure you can go anywhere since ....one of them has been redeemed....and is dead.
    Man, I disagree with you all the time but that... that, was beautiful! But so much more to grow off of, IMHO!! Just sooooo freaking giddy!! Course, I am one of those "if Lucas/anyone put Poopie dancing on film) and called it Star Wars, I'd watch it and CHEER!!! I am drained from excitement! Still Love the "holiday Special' and the late great Bea .

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I have a to chuckle a bit, because I'm actually far more interested in the potential for the talent at ILM and Pixar to work together on certain projects.

New 'Star Wars' projects, sadly, barely registers any type of response from me. I'm very apathetic about the whole prospect. 10-12 years ago, that certainly would not have been the case.

On the negative side of this... Disney aggressively defends it's purported copyrights on everything. Remember, this is the company that pushed hard for the DMCA and ridiculous copyright extensions to prevent any of it's past work from passing into the public domain. Lucas, for all of his faults, was generally pretty good about letting people play in his little universe and allowing fan-generated content to thrive. Disney, on the other hand, goes after people who draw two half circles on someone's head and scream "Infringement!" to the courts.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    An interesting point about copyrights, Fig. The fan film and replica props communities for Star Wars are huge. Would you think that they would be affected?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Turbogeek View Post
    No more GREEDO SHOT FIRST and stupid edits. This is a GOOD thing!

And there is now a good change the original unadulterated movies come out. This is an even BETTER thing.

Plus Disney is run by Pixar these days, so I think the future looks good.
    Or given the fact that an entity now owns SW that runs stuff into the ground even more than Lucas does, we're likely to get Jar Jar Binks animated films every few years.
    Counterpoint - Pixar and Marvel, both owned by Disney. Doing more than just pretty well. Today's Disney is a far cry from the run this shit into the ground Disney of a few years ago, I actually feel pretty comfortable they know what they are doing.

Besides, we know Pixar were the ones that took over Disney and are running the show now. The thought of Brad Bird doing Star Wars just made me pee my pants in excitement a little bit.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Mace Windu : Director of S.H.I.E.L.D

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    The thought of Brad Bird doing Star Wars just made me pee my pants in excitement a little bit.
    Close the thread now. Mark is actually positive about this announcement, so you know it's good news

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Avenger 3 will be set on Tattooine, I just know it.

On Obama's watch: Osama Bin Laden dead. Star Wars out of George Lucas' control.
    Wrap it up GOP, good luck in 2016

The Original BuffJedi
    Avenger 3 will be set on Tattooine, I just know it.
    LMBO!!!!!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ^ Iron Man vs Darth Vader?

*cue John Williams theme*

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Hulk Smash Puny Palpatine

I just heard the news, so it's still sinking in. What a surprise...I swear I heard no speculation about this at all before it was announced today.

I still need to let it sink in somewhat. But it could really be a good thing. I just wonder how locked in to the EU the new movies will be.

What a weird day.

The Original BuffJedi
    Hulk Smash Puny Palpatine

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    http://updates.io9.com/post/34667628...tar-wars-movie

5 Possible Storylines for the Next Star Wars Movie, from io9.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    lol I am so excited I even posted this news on CC.net
    http://www.coruscantcity.net/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=009428

Glen Fiddich
    Peter - ILM does special effects for JJ Abrams' Star Trek (including the sequel), as well as the Transformers movies, the Jurassic Park franchise, and some of the Marvel Studios movies (I think Iron Man is all ILM). They also animated Rango. They're still most definitely a big player in special effects, and if Disney *is* acquiring them as well, that's definitely a pretty big deal all on it's own. They'll potentially be able to keep Marvel and Star Wars projects "in the family", which is no doubt an extremely profitable option for them... and who knows, it might even allow them to get more bang for their buck in terms of CGI.

The EU / fandom question is pretty interesting. I fully expect that they'll toss the EU out of the window... it'll be interesting to see what effect that has (along with Disney's lawyers) on licensed works. Will the expanded universe novels keep going, or will there finally be an end, and a "complete" book collection for people to own? It'll also be interesting to see what impact this has on things like LucasArts and SWTOR: has Disney ever owned a video game company or had involvement in an MMO before? Will we end up with Marvel video games built to a LucasArts level of quality?

I think the biggest problem they're going to have is that most people from Star Wars are old or dead. None of the characters that audiences have been introduced to recently (prequel Jedi, clones, etc) will still be alive, and if they did manage to get Harrison, Carrie, and Mark back to play their respective characters, they'd be too old to be central to the story.

Characters is what Star Wars is about... it's a saga about families, both literal and metaphorical. To try and continue that story as "Episode 7" without there being a connection into the Skywalker bloodline would break from that. Sure, we'd get more live action content set in the Star Wars universe... but would it actually be a Star Wars film, or would it just be some knock-off sequel? If they really want to distance themselves from the OT they really need to stop calling it Episode 7: otherwise people are going to expect it to tie in, and will be disappointed when they're not there.

Also, cool as the idea of a Fillion/Whedon take on Star Wars would be... we've already seen that. If Disney wanted to make that happen, I think they'd be better off acquiring the rights to Firefly, rather than asking Nathan to play a character he's basically already played, and asking Joss to tell a story that he's already told.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    (and Jace, Brave was awesome. )
    It wasn't a bad film per se: it just wasn't up to the usual standard of Pixar movies, in my opinion. Pixar films are usually poignant and moving morality stories, but Brave was a pretty generic teenage girl angst story at it's core, with a sprinkling of faux Scotland fantasy that felt a little obligatory to me. Maybe it's because I'm male, not a parent, and was born in Scotland; I just think that Pixar has done a lot better in the past.

[QUOTE=Darth Turbogeek;394090]

Counterpoint - Pixar and Marvel, both owned by Disney. Doing more than just pretty well. Today's Disney is a far cry from the run this shit into the ground Disney of a few years ago, I actually feel pretty comfortable they know what they are doing.

Besides, we know Pixar were the ones that took over Disney and are running the show now. The thought of Brad Bird doing Star Wars just made me pee my pants in excitement a little bit.
    Pixar's last two films were seen as disappointments by many (most?). Not to mention Disney is still producing films like the new Tinkerbell flick.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Not sure how I feel about this, but I guess more Star Wars is good, even if its a bit shitty

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Robert Downey Jr as Han Solo.

C'MON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO SEE THIS!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast