Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney to acquire Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar

News Disney to acquire Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

I... I honestly don't know what to think of this.

The Walt Disney company announced today it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm and is planning Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015! This is following such big purchases as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment. Here is the full press release:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...ontent=web_app

So... what do YOU think, my friends?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

No more GREEDO SHOT FIRST and stupid edits. This is a GOOD thing!

And there is now a good change the original unadulterated movies come out. This is an even BETTER thing.

Plus Disney is run by Pixar these days, so I think the future looks good.

As my brother messaged me when he told me the news (I don't agree necessarily, but I still laughed my ass off) --- "I don't even care if Romney gets elected now. Nothing could be worse than this."

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Turbogeek View Post
    No more GREEDO SHOT FIRST and stupid edits. This is a GOOD thing!

And there is now a good change the original unadulterated movies come out. This is an even BETTER thing.

Plus Disney is run by Pixar these days, so I think the future looks good.
    Or given the fact that an entity now owns SW that runs stuff into the ground even more than Lucas does, we're likely to get Jar Jar Binks animated films every few years.

Well Disney doesn't do that anymore really not with Pixar controlling it. I am not really surprised and am hopeful, especially if they give it to a talented filmmaker like J.J. Abrams, Peter Jackson, or Joss Whedon.

No 20th Century Fox Fanfare.

They're already laying out a schedule for new Star Wars films. Episodes 7, 8, 9 and then new movies after that. Star Wars will become Bond basically.

I'm ambivalent about this. This is probably a good thing. The creative decisions that George made these last few years eventually pushed me away. By the time we got the Clone Wars cartoon movie I was done. But a brand new take may be exactly what Star Wars needs, for me at least.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Resh
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Ulthrran
    I thought about it for the about 2 minutes then decided I like the Idea. I am hopeful for the future of the franchise.

Glen Fiddich
    Quote Originally Posted by CMJ View Post
    No 20th Century Fox Fanfare.
    ^ That's just gonna be weird.

I'm conflicted about this. I never bought into the whole rage at Lucas mentality (I don't have the energy for that), but it would be interesting to see what Star Wars becomes once someone else starts putting their mark on it: Clone Wars for example has benefited greatly from someone else's input on the story.

That said, I'm not sure that Disney is the right company for this. I can't help but think of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, where they took a trilogy that had a reasonably okay resolution and bolted on an unnecessary and unsatisfying extension.

And while yes, most things that Pixar touches turns to gold... but while they used to make beautiful self-contained stories, everything except Brave (which didn't really do it for me) recently has been a sequel: Toy Story 3, Cars 2, and Monsters University (or whatever it's going to be called). I'd perhaps be a little more confident about this if it was the Pixar of five years ago that we were talking out.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    My problem with Lucas stems from the fact that he, in my opinion, pig-headedly insisted on almost complete control of the prequels and as a result infected them with his dreadful writing and uninspired direction. He is a story-teller of vision, there's no doubting that, but it's a shame there was no other fish at Lucasfilm big enough to politely, or aggressively, remind the man where his creative strengths lie. Yes, Star Wars is his baby, but that prequel trilogy could have been so much better with more able hands at the helm.

Consequently, I'm enthusiastic about this if only for the promise of future Star Wars movies, and this comes as a massive surprise given that in the past Lucas has given us no reason to ever expect any more. And, harking back to my original point about Lucas, I'm glad it is now out of his hands and can potentially be passed around any number of talented filmmakers who will all be scrabbling for a piece of such an enormous franchise. It could turn out to be awful, and Disney certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel in that in a few years we'll be going to the cinema to see not only a whole new Star Wars movie but also, in all likelihood, one that is completely fresh and independent of the original trilogy and its characters, and that's an exciting thought.

Edit: Actually, if they're referring to it as Episode 7 already, that probably makes my last point there null and void, which is a bit shit. I'd really rather have something akin to a Jedi Begins or Star Wars Royale, except with new characters, instead of a continuation of the same story. Although, I do wonder how that story could be continued (ignoring EU here, of course), since it's nicely wrapped up at the end of RotJ. Maybe it will be all shiny and new!
    Last edited by Droo; Oct 30th, 2012 at 04:23:30 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Is it already the first of April?

Does Lucas know for sure that the world ends in 2 months and so he thought "Mehh whatever".

OK and now my honest opinion. As a guy that goes to Disneyland very often I see a huge win here: More merchandise and more rides Yeah.

Plus who are we kidding here we all knew that the day would come where Lucasfilm and the rights to Star Wars would be sold. ILM is not the pinacle of special effects anymore.

I am not really happy with the idea of Star Wars 7-9 to be honest if somebody said they will do a Reboot of the prequels first I would be really excited.

In recent years I have grown fond of a remake of SW. We all know it is inevitable so why not enjoy it for what it is more SW. You could argue that this website has been doing this for one and a half decade anyway.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Well I do understand now why he did the SW DeTours contract out of the blue and why he decided not to expand the Lucas Ranch and instead starting to sell parts of the land.
    Oh and does this mean that ILM and Lucas Arts go to Disney too? I hope they will fire Julio Torres first...

There is gonna be an absolute feeding frenzy to direct the next SW movie. Every young director (as well as seasoned vets) is gonna wanna put their own stamp on it. Considering that Kathleen Kennedy is running LucasFilm, and Lucas is his friend, I think Spielberg has it if he wants it.

If not, probably Brad Bird.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    They're already laying out a schedule for new Star Wars films. Episodes 7, 8, 9 and then new movies after that. Star Wars will become Bond basically.

I'm ambivalent about this. This is probably a good thing. The creative decisions that George made these last few years eventually pushed me away. By the time we got the Clone Wars cartoon movie I was done. But a brand new take may be exactly what Star Wars needs, for me at least.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

(and Jace, Brave was awesome. )

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Well I do understand now why he did the SW DeTours contract out of the blue and why he decided not to expand the Lucas Ranch and instead starting to sell parts of the land.
    Oh and does this mean that ILM and Lucas Arts go to Disney too? I hope they will fire Julio Torres first...
    Disney got everything - ILM, Lucas Arts, everything. As far as I know.

oh what a tangled web I weave

The Original BuffJedi
    OMGOSH!!!! I have not cried in years until today!!! First, I loved Everything Lucas did with his Star Wars movies(sans cutting to much Darth Maul) Revenge of the Sith is the greatest movie EVER! and TPM only needed more Maul, and it would have been all but perfect, still laugh at JAR JAR!! Hopefully Speilberg gets attached and keep Jackson far far away form it!! The LOTR was a complete bore fest and Kong just SUCKED!..all my opinions, dont agree, well(i say this nicely) i couldn't careless! cant wait for a Disney" Star Wars" resort and with all the toys JediEB(s) will have to buy yet a bigger house

Top 5 days of my life since ROTS

1. My son was born
    2.Hopefully when the people of the U.S.A kicks Oblamo out the white house and the country
    3.Bench pressing over 500lbs and running a sub 5 min mile the same day
    4.Moving back to the Island
    5 FREAKING TODAY!!!!!!!!!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Somebody on Twitter said it best for me:

Dream Scenario: Hire Joss Whedon to do Star Wars films, Nathan Fillion is the leading man, playing Han Solo's son.
    (Basically, I can't see how this is anything but a good thing.)

Lance Stormrider
    Lol wow this news automatically reminded me of this website hahaha...the torch has been passed

The Original BuffJedi
    Dusting off my Acting resume' new demo real and going to get buffer(if that's possible) the Only thing I have left on my bucket list is being in a Star Wars film!!! Crap people, a new STAR WARS FILM!!!!!!!. Get the freak on your feet and CHEER!!!!!!! If your blaise' about this, IMO...., are you sure your a star wars FAN!!???!!!

I consider myself a SW fan Buff. I defend the prequels all the freaking time.

I guess when you boil it down to it, SW is the story about a father and son. I am not sure you can go anywhere since ....one of them has been redeemed....and is dead.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    There's still plenty of EU left to explore!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast