Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Pick 'em 2012: Week 3 (THURSDAY GAME)

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Mitch
    Wow, the officiating was just plain terrible. Seriously, some fans could do a better job than these replacement refs did!

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    Y'know everyone says that, but I'll bet the job is a lot harder than it looks. I mean you don't choose refereeing as a profession to not throw penalties if you see them, etc. I would not want to be in their position right now.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Park Kraken View Post
    Y'know everyone says that, but I'll bet the job is a lot harder than it looks. I mean you don't choose refereeing as a profession to not throw penalties if you see them, etc. I would not want to be in their position right now.

Throwing flags for what they see isn't the primary issue, IMO. It's what they aren't seeing. There is a huge consistency issue with the calls being made. It seems often that a lot of the officials are either getting blinded by the speed of the NFL game or are watching the ball and center of the action and not their assignments.

There will always be some infractions that will be missed, even with the regular officials. It's the frequency of this being so high with the replacement officials that is making players, coaches, and fans irate.

Pardon my French, but the Packers just got totally fucked 7 ways to Sunday on live TV.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Well, been fun everyone. Not picking any more games this season. I'm officially boycotting the NFL until this disgusting farce of officiating is fixed.

We have a clear case of two horrendous calls directly robbing a team of victory. It's not even debatable.

Roger Goodell should be ashamed of this entire mess. So much for the vaunted integrity of the National Football League.

Quote Originally Posted by Figrin D'an View Post
    Well, been fun everyone. Not picking any more games this season. I'm officially boycotting the NFL until this disgusting farce of officiating is fixed.

We have a clear case of two horrendous calls directly robbing a team of victory. It's not even debatable.

Roger Goodell should be ashamed of this entire mess. So much for the vaunted integrity of the National Football League.
    I hear you. I'm feeling the same way. It was already frustrating thanks to bad calls, but this takes the cake.

I don't blame you one bit, Fig. I'm really sorry your team got hosed. This was a fantastic game through three quarters with occasional missed calls, but nothing that would stand out in the regular season - maybe just below average for an ordinary crew. And then in the fourth quarter the officials lost their collective minds, and the entire rest of the game became irrelevant.

In other news, the weekly tally is in. I went 42-3, and the rest of you were -16 and 20. Better luck next time, guys.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Looking over the picks, looks like everone did anywhere from 9-7 to 6-10, although I don't see a Thursday pick for jmc.

We're not doing too well in the Survivor section. I'm the only one with a streak going, & an unwanted one at that.

To allay any possible confusion, I am still going to tally up the picks for real. Block exam on cranial nerves takes precedence.

Actually, if someone wants to post next week's schedule, feel free. Otherwise I'll get to it tonight.

One of the worst calls that I have ever seen. The NFL should be ashamed of themselves to have those jokers calling the games.

To be fair, I consider that a tough call to make. I compare it to the final play of the AFC Championship game in 1996, Colts at Steelers. Colts QB Jim Harbaugh unleashed a similar desperation heave into the endzone as time expired, and the Colts receiver went up for it, snagged it, and landed on his back with the ball on his chest - after which the ball bounced off and fell to the turf by his side. Of course, he immediately grabbed it again, and it was very difficult to tell that he'd dropped it at all. Even the TV announcer shouted that he'd caught it.

But then the right side line judge, who'd positioned himself perfectly to see the play from beginning to end, rushed in and definitively signaled incomplete. This was before the days of instant replay; there was no taking back an official signal, and it was the same sort of situation as we had last night, where the call on the last play directly determined the outcome of the game. It takes serious balls to be so sure of yourself that you can make so big a call on so big a stage with such conviction. In this case, the ref was as certain as humanly possible because he had the best view of the play in the entire stadium. That takes a bit of luck, but it also takes skill and experience.

These refs don't have the skill and experience required to make such a call. This clearly isn't a case where some of the fans could do a better job - that's just the point. A very few people in this country are qualified to do officiate at the NFL level. Maybe some of these replacements are there (doubtful); maybe some of them can get there over time, but a statistically significant number of them clearly aren't, and throwing them back into these situations with no safety net isn't going to help them improve. The league is screwing them over just as much as the players, coaches, and fans.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

I personally view it akin to dropping a bunch of High School Substitute Teachers into Harvard and then expecting for awesome things to happen, but now people are waking up and realizing it isn't happening.

Wow, this may have been our lowest winning percentage for a week ever. Do bear in mind that several of those unexpected upsets were in fact not ultimately determined by the refs. In a sense, the replacements are merely adding another dose of uncertainty to an already crazy season. Here's hoping we'll have more reason to talk about football and not the officials in the coming weeks.

Week 3 Tally:
    Ryan Pode: 10-6
    Kolrad: 8-8
    Rutabaga: 8-8
    Dragon: 7-9
    Kyran O'Hurn: 7-9
    Liam Jinn: 7-9
    Nathanial K'casnce: 7-9
    Park Kraken: 7-9
    Figrin D'an: 6-10
    Halajiin Rabeak: 6-10
    Dee: 5-11
    Jedi Master Carr: 5-11
    jjwr: 5-11
    Korax: 4-12 (did not pick)
    Morgan Evanar: 4-12 (did not pick)

Total Tally:

Ryan Pode: 32-16
    jjwr: 29-19
    Rutabaga: 27-21
    Nathanial K'cansce: 26-22
    Figrin D'an: 25-23
    Dee: 24-24
    Dragon: 23-25
    Jedi Master Carr: 23-25
    Kolrad: 23-25
    Liam Jinn: 23-25
    Halajiin Rabeak: 22-26
    Kyran O'Hurn: 22-26
    Morgan Evanar: 20-28
    Korax: 19-29
    Park Kraken: 18-30

Survivor:
    Dragon: PHI, SD, NO
    jjwr: BAL, SD, DET
    Dee: SEA, PHI, NE
    Liam Jinn: SEA, SF, WAS
    Morgan Evanar: --- HOU, ---
    Kolrad: MIN, NE, DAL
    Kyran O'Hurn: CHI, WAS, ---
    Rutabaga: NE, DAL, SF
    Ryan Pode: CHI, MIN, BUF
    Jedi Master Carr: --- NE, ---
    Park Kraken: NO, WAS, SF

Oh wow, I did better than I thought.

BTW, big surprise on the front page of the local paper this morning...the ref who blew the call lives right here in Santa Maria. He's a banker who has never officiated on the professional level before. Here's a link to the big article about him:

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loca...9bb2963f4.html

And BTW, I don't blame him for the fiasco, I totally blame the NFL. He's just the scapegoat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12