Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Wow. What an truly awful trailer

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Turbogeek View Post
    Wow. What an truly awful trailer
    It wasn't awful but I think I felt underwhelmed as well.

I already hate myself for thinking this but I have a hard time to believe that this movie really works inside the original X-Men movies' continuity. I fear that X-Men 3 was so bad that it will even fuck up this movie for me.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I enjoyed the trailer

TheHolo.Net Poster

120 pounds of tail, claws, and libido. She's like a slice of delicious, poisonous pie, with extra carnal sauce.

AKA
    Holly
    I'm really excited to see this story. It isn't going to be perfect, but I think it will be enjoyable.

i still need to read the comics version.

you make me come... you make me complete...
    you make me completely miserable

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I haven't read that particular comic arc either. I'll probably wait until closer to the films release date, since there's a good chance it will be on sale then!

TheHolo.Net Poster

120 pounds of tail, claws, and libido. She's like a slice of delicious, poisonous pie, with extra carnal sauce.

AKA
    Holly
    Ty keeps telling me he has it, but he has about twenty long boxes of comics and no time to go through them - it's been nine years!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    It's not a particularly well cut trailer, to be honest, but I'm encouraged by what we get to see. My concern is the number of characters the film will have to juggle, and also that the plot appears to be heavily dependant on Wolverine again.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    For better or for worse Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is a fan favorite (I'm a fan! So sue me!) and giving him the Kitty Pryde role of going to the past makes sense. She only has the barest of a presence in the xmen movies, so giving her such a large important role in this one might make it hard for casual viewers (I.e. People who don't read the comics, which is where most of the money for this franchise comes from) to connect.

The reason they give in this movie is that he's the only one who can survive the time travel because of his healing factor. And Kitty is integral to sending him back, using her phasing power on him in some way. Also, I figure he has to have a body in the past to wake up in, which in Kitty's case may not be so since she's pretty young.

sheesh, anyone who doesn't like movie Wolverine can talk to my fist.

oh what a tangled web I weave

I thought the Trailer was great. I literally watched it at least ten times, even going so far as to progress it frame by frame so I could analyze everything. I'm already more excited for this than I am for Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It wasn't a bad trailer; it did everything a trailer was suppose to. It established plot, characters, and, for some, an emotional connection. It also raised some very interesting questions that I can't wait to find out when I see the movie. And I'm a sucker for dark and emotional.

I think everyone needs to stop being butt hurt fanboys. Yes, X3 and Origins were travesties, but First Class and The Wolverine were good. Bunch of Negative Nathans.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    More importantly, why are we wasting time on Storm? I wish that they would recast her or just cut her all together. I feel like I could say with 99% certainty that her role in this story is negligible at best.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes, less Storm, more ...someone else. Wolverine, maybe. Shirtless, of course. Maybe they'll bring back Gambit (another hideously mishandled addition in x3 if I remember correctly).

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Blog Entries
    He was in Origins, and he was horribly mishandled. Mostly just horribly executed fanservice. I thought Storm was pretty good in X1, and then they pushed her into an edgier, less motherly role and absolutely ruined her. The X-Men 90's Cartoon version of Storm is how I will always envision her.

"Push hard enough and everything fits."

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I only watched Origins and X3 in theaters. Once and twice, respectively. I am hoping to forget most of the details.

Still, I love Taylor Kitch. Apparently Channing Tatum wants to play Gambit, should the role come up again (I had to google for Taylor's last name and all that came up was Channing Tatum says he wants to play gambit in a Sept 2013 interview lol)

I am hopeful for this. I really enjoyed First Class (We do not speak of X3. ) The trailer didn't completely grab me and shake my by the shoulders and demand my attention but I look forward to it anyway!

I recall the trailers to First Class being incredibly bland. I don't think Fox knows how to market these movies.

There are definitely some interesting visuals. I remain ambivalent about dividing the focus between the old cast and the new, but the trailer seems to indicate the focus will stay on Xavier and Magneto, which is as it should be. I still wonder whether the future timeline will really just be a framing device - equivalent to the post-apocalyptic scenes from Terminator 2 that serve just to show what the heroes are trying to avert - or whether a significant part of the plot will happen there. If it's the former, then characters like Storm and Kitty are probably just serving as glorified cameos. If it's the latter, this is going to be a complex piece of storytelling to pull off. Perhaps we'll see parallel plotlines unfolding in different points in history, sort of like in Frequency?

Either way, I definitely would prefer to see the existing characters explored further rather than squeezing in a few more fan favorites, and that's the thing that still concerns me the most about this movie. I'm actually surprised that anyone thinks Singer did a good job with the character development in the first two X-Men films. I've always considered them glaring examples of the plot driving the characters, while in First Class it's the characters driving the plot.

Anyway, I'll be thrilled if it all works, and if it doesn't, at least it'll be a dose of superhero movie popcorn. I'm likely going to see it unless it's completely panned.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Great, now I'm picturing Frequency, except at the end instead of Dennis Quaid appearing in the current timeline with a shotgun it's Wolverine. *snict*

MIGHT be a better movie.

Just kidding, Frequency is a terrific movie as is. Highly recommend! I hope they are going to lay the storylines together like that, it would be cool, I think.

Days of Future Past was recently(ish) adapted into the cartoon series Wolverine and the X-Men. It didn't directly adapt the exact storyline, but it had the elements of someone from the future communicating with the past in order to ensure that the post-apocalyptic future was averted. That had a slightly more "phone call from the future" vibe rather than sending someone back all in one go... but they adapted that into something that managed to focus on the "present" for the most part, but still gave a decent amount of character development and attention to characters in the future: Team Future would explain an event that occurred, and Team Present would then be shown either succeeding or failing in averting it, etc.

Not that I'm expecting this movie to be like that or anything... but if DOFP can manage to do that in twenty minute instalments aimed primarily at children, I figure a two-hour movie aimed at adults stands a reasonable chance of doing an okay job.

What I'm apprehensive about is the characters like Bobby, Kitty, Colossus, etc. As Holly pointed out, those are the comic book / cartoon fan favourites, but they didn't really get all that much screen time in the movies thus far, and they only exist in the future and not the past. At least one of the promo pictures hints at Bobby and Kitty being a "thing"... but whether that's a "just happens in the background and isn't focused on too much" thing, or "is focused on and takes up screen time that could have been invested elsewhere" thing... that's the kind of stuff that's going to be tricky to execute, I think. The characters who have past selves, where the movie can contrast between their two incarnations to illustrate how history has changed them... those are probably gonna be much easier to pull off.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

I suspect some characters like Storm will be killed off in the very beginning of the film. I do think we will get parallel stories of the past and future and certain characters in the future will die. While Wolverine will be a big focus, I still think Magneto and Xavier will be the central characters. I still thought it was a great trailer and very character focused. I understand the VFX aren't done yet so we should get more action shots in the next one. I did think it was much better than the Captain America trailer which very underwhelmed me.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Saw this today and loved it.

Right from the start, this film felt like a sequel to Brian Singer's X-Men movies, what with the return of the theme from X-Men 2. And, with John Ottman back onboard for editing and score, that shouldn't have been a surprise. Personally, I missed the First Class theme. In fact, there was a lot about First Class that I missed.

I'll get this off my chest right now: apart from being crucial to the plot, almost everything about the future scenes felt like a waste. The action those scenes boasted was very cool, and the brief moments with McKellen and Stewart are to be cherished, but every scene in the future felt like a deviation from the heart of the film. The new cast are the heart of the film, and rightly so, and, while I understand the presence of X-Men vets and applaud Singer's efforts to merge old and new into a cohesive whole, the future stuff was much less satisfying. Given the story, though, I can appreciate that's unavoidable, and it certainly doesn't detract much from the overall experience.

When I say the new cast are the heart of the film, I mean Charles, Erik, and Raven, with Hank being a more peripheral component of the narrative. Of course, Logan's mixed up in it all, and I love his scenes with... everyone, basically, but particularly Charles. There's a lot of role-reversal poignancy in those scenes. This is a refreshing grown-up Wolverine.

Speaking of the new cast, Quicksilver is amazing, and for humour and pure entertainment, his scenes steal the movie, but sadly, his screen time is about as long as this sentence. I was forewarned of this, and I think you'll appreciate the warning too, because otherwise I can only imagine his sudden absence to be only too noticeable.

As for plot, I've no complaints. I was kept guessing about the direction it would take pretty much right up until the end, and I was pleasantly surprised. Character decisions really matter, and in that, you can really see the difference between the main trio, with Charles and Erik being allies but polar opposites, and Mystique being somewhere between them, sliding ambiguously up and down the morality scale. The pacing was nice, and the only time I felt it sag was during the future scenes.

Overall, I thought it was a very enjoyable film, with some great moments of humour, solid action, and plenty of fond moments for fans of the entire X-men series. I'll discuss spoilery stuff later, I suppose, but until anyone else has seen it, there's no point right now. So, go check it out!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234