Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Erin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    at the risk of playing to expectations...

loki
    yes, here as well..

Just in case you hadn't seen or heard about this little surprise appearance at the Marvel panel at Comic Con....

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    There's a new poster for this film: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/0...the-dark-world

...needs less Natalie Portman

And more Hiddles. Much more Hiddles.

Fred Fiddich
    I think it looks cool. *shrug* Jane Foster is fairly central to the plot premise, so it'd be a bit daft if she wasn't on there.

I just think it's a shame that Chris Eccleston's name didn't warrant being mentioned on the poster.

Edit:

Damnit, should have posted as Glen.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Portman was the worst thing about Thor - the lady goes from unbelieveably good (Black Swan) to wood plank terrible and nothing in between.

New trailer.

"Anyone else?"
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

There's a new sneak peek scene out, courtesy of Germany and... well... it's quite revealing. Doesn't spoil anything that you couldn't have inferred from the last trailer... but it's a few minutes straight out of the movie, so viewer discretion is advised.

The clip shows that in at least one scene, Heimdall is going to be an epic badass Asgardian action hero, which is great news for people who are fans of Idris Elba, Heimdall, and epic badassery. It also gives us a (very brief) glimpse of Zach Levi in costume, and a (moderately brief) glimpse of Kurse, the Darth Vader to Malekith's Palpatine.

What surprises me though is that the clip seems very scifi: there are spaceships, laser machine guns, forcefields, and that sort of thing. Rather than embracing the "technology disguised as magic" approach that the rest of the realms seem to have... the Dark Elves seem to have an almost Star Wars quality. It certainly seems from the clip that this makes them a pretty dangerous foe, and I'm sure it's at least partly to prepare audiences so full-on scifi in Guardians of the Galaxy isn't such a surprise... but huh. I guess I was expecting the Dark Elves to be a little less Mandalore, and a little more Mordor.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    That totally and thoroughly made my day when I first saw it yesterday.

The movie is opening here in the US tomorrow, but lucky me, I'm working this weekend, so I'm gonna have to wait until next weekend to see it.

Anyone else seen this yet?

I found it pretty enjoyable, and I thought it was a very stylish movie. The amount of scifi in there was surprising, but flying boats with machine gun lasers but also rudders was pretty cool. It seemed to link back into the rest of the Marvel movieverse much more than I was expecting it to, particularly visually: when Kurse went all fiery it looked remarkably like the vis-effects for Extremis, and those black hole bomb things reminded me of the Gravitonium effects from Agents of SHIELD a few weeks ago. It felt like everyone used the same "science", they just approached it from different angles using different names.

The story felt very much like a folklore adventure story, there was lots of really cool banter, and Loki's Captain America impression was fantastic. My only criticism is with the ending: Kurse was defeated with the same kind of ease as the Destroyer, and the fight with Malekith just sorta happened without any personality. I heard they cut out a lot of Malekith's scenes, so I wonder if it'll play out differently in a director's cut. Still thoroughly enjoyable: just a little too straight forward I suppose.

Also, the plot twist at the end? Oh my.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Disagree about what you said about the final fight - I thought it was fantastic with some actual originality that used the premise of what was going on really well.

A few thoughts - The movie was a bit boring until Loki gets unleashed. Then it rocks hard.

Portman - one of those movies where she isnt playing a wooden board.

Thor fangirl service is obvious.

And as said, LOVED the final fight. Clever

Not as good as IM3 but really, really enjoyed it. Phase 2 films are turning out great!

Morgan Jones
    ^ Bad word choice on my part, maybe: it's not the final fight I didn't enjoy... just the final showdown but. The whole throwing people into different worlds was all kinds of cool, but the actual climax / absolute final hero vs villain confrontation just didn't have as much punch as I was hoping. When you compare it to the first movie, with the whole hammer on Loki's chest / smashing the Bifrost / Loki letting go of the sceptre thing? Didn't feel like it had quite the same resonance. It's a small niggle though, in an otherwise fantastic film. *shrug*

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Is it just me or did someone else feel irritated by the lazyness of the royal airforce? Two fighter jets vs an alien space ship. I guess the British military has just become to dependant on the doctor when it comes to aliens.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who thought this, but...

Now you're thinking with portals!

Anyway, lot of fun, would see again. Parts of it made for better Star Wars than the last three Star Wars movies. I'll agree with Mark that it starts a bit slow, but I appreciated the look into Thor's development as future king of Asgard, and the glimpses we had of the other realms. It was also great fun seeing Jane make the trip to Narnia Asgard for once, and I loved her curiosity about the all the Asgard tech.

I think my feelings are similar to Jace's, though I don't think it was just the ending that lacked punch - really, the whole central plot, comprising Malekith, the Dark Elves, and the McGuffin of the month, felt thin and boilerplate to me, as if it was just serving as an excuse to put Thor and Loki back into action. That's actually not a horrible thing, because those characters (and Loki in particular) are captivating enough to carry the feature by themselves. But I was excited to see Christopher Eccleston in a villain role, and pretty much all they asked him to do is scowl and speak in faux-Quenya. Actually, I'm impressed that even buried under all the makeup, special effects, voice processing, and fantasy language I could still recognize Eccleston's performance at all - it makes me pine even more for the complex, nuanced villain I was imagining. If there are any deleted scenes that add new layers of depth to his character, I'd very much like to see them.

In this cut of the movie, however, the focus is elsewhere, and it's hard to complain too terribly much. The art direction is beautiful, and this film is chock full of eye candy, even for those of us who aren't there to ogle Chris Hemsworth's abs and Tom Hiddleston's greasy hair. It's also a lot funnier than I expected it to be. Marvel appears to be getting these movies down to a science, and it's making me very excited to see the next installment.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I thought this was an improvement on the first film, which I also loved. And while I agree with some of the criticisms here, such as how it was slow to get into the real meat of the story, I found the whole experience was lifted by frequent, and witty, moments of humour. The film was much funnier than I expected it to be, and it never seemed to forget that its first objective was to entertain, which it did very well. My only complaint in this area is the villain, in Malekith and the Dark Elves: very dull, very one-dimensional, and poorly executed. Everytime they were on screen the entire movie seemed to wilt. Fortunately, we had Loki to provide their antithesis. And once he was free, did he ever make use of his screen time. What a joyful baddie!

Natalie Portman, who I think is a wonderful actress, had little do this time around compared to the previous film, in which I felt her character was more engaged, and engaging. Here, she just gets infected by the nondescript McGuffin of doom, and her talents were wasted. As were Eccleston's, and I am in complete agreement with Andrew's reasoning on that. In terms of cast, I'm just so pleased to see everyone from the first film back, and I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I was chuffed to see Darcy back. I enjoyed all of her little moments in this film, and the last.

The ending was bonkers, and while it definately lacked the emotional clout and significance of the final showdown in the first film, I don't think it needed or deserved it. Malekith simply wasn't developed well enough for that kind of resonance, and I was glad for a relatively brief final confrontation, just to be rid of him.

I'm eager to check out the soundtrack for this film. There were a couple of moments when the music stood out, Frigga's funeral, for example, which was beautifully done, was accompanied by some nice music. I'm glad we got to spend more time in Asgard this time around, and it was an impressive sight to behold, so rich in detail. I loved the way the Dark Elves' ships moved, for some reason, just so poised and graceful. And I also enjoyed seeing what was basically the first trailer for SWTOR play out in the royal palace, instead of the Jedi Temple.

I don't know why, but I honestly wasn't expecting Marvel to better their first effort with Thor et al. and I'm glad to be surprised. This bodes well for the other movies to come, including the inevitable third Thor film which, judging by the twist in this film, will provide the dramatic finale this one lacked.

One last thing: did anyone stick around for the two after credits scenes? Benecio del Toro, where did you come from!? If he's going to be in the third film, he looks like he's got a very interesting character to play. And in the second scene, I laughed my head off at the sight of the huge Jotunheim beast scrambling over containers, chasing pigeons.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    (comment deleted)
    Last edited by Amos Iakona; Nov 11th, 2013 at 08:52:44 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Ah! Well, in that case, I'll be looking forward to seeing more of that character in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edit: Just realised you might want to spoiler tag your post, Jace.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jace
    I figure that's vague enough that it's not a spoiler. "GOTG in Thor 2 post credits scene" has kinda been in headlines on a lot of news sites, so... *shrug*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast