Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jedi Pilots!

Corell Capstan

Jedi Jedi Pilots!

Okay, so I'm almost certain that we all discussed this at some point but I can't find the thread about it so I'm starting a new one.

I believe the basic idea was to train some Jedi up as starfighter pilots.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Under the Sea, under the sea. Darlin' it's better, down where it's wetter, take it from me!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Yes!

I too remember the idea and would love to be part of it

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    Wyl is already a pilot. He can teach some fools how to work a stick like it ain't no thang.

Liz and Droo and I were chatting about this the other day. We have a thread start that we want to do for some training stuff... just some Wyl / Jaden / Loki stuff, but it should feed into a training thread petty well.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Okay. Will just sit tight for now then!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem was (is?) a fucking ace pilot. He'd be down.

Aside from Zem and Inyos, do we have anyone old enough to have actually flown a Jedi Starfighter before, back in the day?

I know s'Il is old enough, but she's too much of a scaredy-wolf to fly. :mneh

Also, Christin and I haven't explicitly stated in posts which kind of Jedi Starfighters we're finding. Rather than arbetrarily decide myself, what would be everyone's preference, from the assortment of options below?

As far as Jedi Starfighters go, we have the Delta-7 (Episode II), Delta-7B (The Clone Wars), and the Eta-2 (Episode III). There is also the two-seater Delta-12 (EU). These all use Hyperspace rings.

We could also use one of the non-Jedi Republic fighters. The V-Wing uses a Hyperspace ring, but the V-19 Torrent does not need one. There is also the Z-95, the ARC-170, and the Y-Wing, but these are very Rebel-looking. (Z-95s and Y-Wings are already used by Rebel squadrons on the Wheel)

For reference: the only fighter that does not need an Astromech is the V-19.
    Last edited by Captain Untouchable; Apr 29th, 2012 at 02:57:15 AM.

Barton Henning
    I'm pretty ignorant as far as what makes a good ship goes. I just like stuff that looks cool, so I'll leave that decision up to more knowledgeable people!

What would be the most likely thing for us to have access to?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Under the Sea, under the sea. Darlin' it's better, down where it's wetter, take it from me!

Frankly, I'm pretty ignorant as well, but upon looking at wikis, Kala here votes for the Delta-7B because it says Kit Fisto had one. *nods*

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    All I know is that Eta-2's are teh sex!

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Don't worry Jenny, you're not alone. I really hope that we go for the eta-2 since I've always loved the look of it and it's just an all-around cool looking fighter.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Where? More like when... crazy ass wormholes.
    Now that you mention it, it is pretty sexy.

I vote sexyfighter!

It seems like everyone is leaning towards the Jedi Starfighters (which is reasonable enough!). Personally I prefer the Delta-7B, mainly because it's the only one where the astromech socket is in the middle, rather than on one side. (asymmetry )

There is one thing worth pointing out though: Jedi Starfighters will be suckballs at defending the Wheel, 90% of the time.

Having no hyperdrive means that you have to do a "combat landing" at the end of every fight, otherwise you get left behind. This is pretty cool on Battlestar Galactica, but then they have a Fleet that comprises dozens of ships: it takes a while to jump all of those vessels. The Wheel on the other hand is a lot smaller, which means that jumping those ships away will be a lot faster.

All the Rebel fighters have their own hyperdrives, so they can carry on fighting until the Wheel is gone. They can sit around protecting our asses. The Jedi meanwhile will need to scamper back to the hanger at the end of the fight. It will probably take them longer to launch as well, because the Jedi aren't necessarily going to be sitting around in their flight gear waiting for an alert to go off: by the time they get in the air, it'll be time for them to land again. They'll also be lousy for flying the CAP, since as soon as they encounter a bad guy they'll have to run away back to the ship so they don't get left behind.

I'm totally cool reserving these Jedi starfighters for special Jedi missions and Jedi errands, and leaving the CAP and air defence duties to the Rebels. I keep describing the Jedi Starfighters as being horses: and horse cavalry doesn't get used on the battlefield any more because it is outdated. The Jedi fighters being outdated and "mostly ceremonial" extends the metaphor nicely, and I'm all for extending metaphors.

However, if you are expecting being a Jedi pilot to give you something extra to do on a day-to-day basis, we might want to consider picking planes that have hyperdrives inside... or at least making sure that the Jedi have access to planes with hyperdrives in. That could be by volunteering to fly missions in an X-Wing or A-Wing alongside the Rebels, or having a small number of other starfighters set aside for Jedi use.
    Last edited by Captain Untouchable; Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:16:39 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Do they have to be a matched set? I figure it makes it even more rag-tag if we all kinda get different sorts. I'm fine with an A-Wing myself but it would kinda be neat if we found some vintage Eta's

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Probably would have taken over the Galaxy by now, if she wasn't so easily distracted by brightly colored balls of yarn
    AKA
    Andrew
    I have this mental image of the Jedi squadron encountering an enemy while flying CAP... Then the Challenger jettisons a bunch of hyperspace rings and jump out, so all the fighters have to rush to grab a ring and escape, like some kind of suicidal version of musical chairs...

So far I have no characters who would be up for the squadron unless I decide to make Aris into a Jedi, so I will defer to the opinions of others. But I was actually thinking the same as Zem. I don't know if there's already a plan for how we get these ships, but it would be extraordinary to come across a whole squadron of Clone Wars era planes in working condition. It seems more likely we might raid a military surplus yard and scrounge together whatever ships we can salvage, with a variety of squadron badges and liveries. That would allow us to have a variety of ships for different missions, including some hyperspace-capable craft, and it would also have the effect of making the fighters more individualized and personal. The downside is, well, it's a more ragtag approach. Thoughts?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    The Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained thread that Jace and I are currently doing introduces the found fighters, whatever they are decided to be

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    oh cool, y'all have a little plan for everything.

Well I am okay with whatever folks want as long as its something not shit like a cloakshape or a y-wing heh

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    I was going to suggest A-Wings. ETA2s are cool but hyperdrives are better.

Corell Capstan
    Shall we go with A-Wings then?

A-Wings make sense, but it does detract from the whole them being found on the Venture thing.

What if we do both? The Jedi are trained to fly Eta-2's that were found on the Venture. These planes are owned by the Jedi, and are available to any flight-qualified Jedi for running errands and so forth.

However, some Jedi are also trained on the A-Wing. When shit hits the fan during an attack on the Wheel, the Jedi run down to the Challenger flight deck and clamber into an A-Wing. You'd effectively be bonus pilots for this unit... the A-Wing equivalent of Rogue Group. And an intentional Battlestar Galactica reference.

That's the best of both worlds - something iconic for the Jedi when they're out and about, but also something practical for when they're protecting the Wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast