Thread: The Council

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

The Council

With Drin on an extended LOA (???) we are left with a council of 2 right now.

It seems like a good time to perhaps either replace Drin or expand the Council.

Thoughts?

I think this is a good idea. With more activity we need at least one other council member on hand for RP purposes.

there is no passion; there is serenity
    there is no death; there is the Force

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I agree, with Drin absent, and Solomon out of the picture, there's a shortage of senior Jedi characters with suitable authority. Off the top of my head, I think Serena and Zem are ideal candidates for the council.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Invite Zem to Avalon and I'm sure that old crumudgeon will do it

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    I agree, with Drin absent, and Solomon out of the picture, there's a shortage of senior Jedi characters with suitable authority. Off the top of my head, I think Serena and Zem are ideal candidates for the council.
    Quoted for emphasis. These would be my suggestions as well.

Presumably we could assume that Drin is off on an unspecified mission/errand, to explain his absence? That way we can explain why a key member of the Wheel isn't there, while still leaving the door open if/when he gets back.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

How should we go about this? A meeting between Daria, Navaria, Serena, and Zem? Or does anyone have any unconventional ideas to bring them together?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Baby.. I may be blind but what I lack in sight I make up for in sensuality ;)

AKA
    Jenny
    I'm not sure how it could come about, but Zem and Serena would be logical choices.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Do I get a hat?

TheHolo.Net Poster

This is not the Empress you're looking for

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Dani
    A pointy one.

Would it be easier to leave their appointment "off-camera"?

In the next thread that involves the Council, we could simply mention that "the two newest members of the Council were there", and then move on with the thread.

Saves us having to work out how/why it happened IC.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    I agree with that. Less complications

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Yes, I'm all in favour of that. It is a bit like roleplaying red-tape, otherwise.

Someone... make it so!

That's okay with me

What do I do now?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Abuse your new mod powers?

Consider it done!

I mean, er

Bit of an odd question:

What does the Council do, exactly?

We're not a galaxy-spanning order of peacekeepers and enforcers anymore. We haven't established any real relationship between the Jedi and the Rebel Alliance, so we aren't acting as generals or spiritual advisors. The only thing the Jedi have been focusing on really is the Wheel itself, and rebuilding the Order.

If the Council is just there to make administrative decisions regarding the Jedi, maybe there are some other characters who should "sit in" on meetings?

Loki has been portrayed as one of the main lightsaber instructors for example: since training new Jedi is an important part of rebuilding the Order, would his input be valuable in Council meetings? Barton Henning has ties to the branch of the Alliance that is providing us with supplies; with s'Ilancy gone, it might make sense for him to step up and advise the Council on matters regarding supplies and obtaining resources. Hal is a Jedi from a bygone era: he could potentially provide the Council with the perspective of someone from the Order's "golden age"... a reminder of what they should be aspiring to.

Sure, they aren't wise old Jedi Masters full of sage advice... but Daria isn't a Master either, and it might make sense for us to build a Jedi Council that fits the current status quo, rather than emulating the old order of things.

At the moment it seems like they're there because we know we need one, even if we aren't sure why. Working out what the Council is for might make it easier for Council members to find things to post about.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I've been doing a bit of reading in which we discussed the idea of the three different Jedi schools of thought, and how each one should have a representative on the Jedi Council. Back then, those were:

Daria, represetning the Consulars.
    Drin, representing the Guardians.
    Tionne, representing the Sentinels.

And Navaria presided over the discussions and represented the council to those outside the Order, like the military.

That's fallen by the wayside due to a number of different things, I think the main one being inactivity, and that can't be helped. But, maybe it's something to think about, the Jedi infrastructure... again.

We have the Jedi all in one place. We have the newbies coming to the Whaladon where they join the Jedi ranks. A few of us have been renewing discussions to get Jedi characters trained to double-up as star fighter pilots, in response to the threat posed by the Sith. There has also been talk about the Whaladon, which pretty much boils down to "We're gonna need a bigger boat." In the past, some have said that perhaps the Whaladon could be as big or as small as we would like to suit our roleplaying needs, maybe even a completely made-up type of ship altogether. I'd be down with this if it weren't for the niggling belief that it'd rock continuity a bit too much for even me. Hang on...

I'm veering all over the shop. Maybe we just need to ascertain how the council works. Jace's point reminds me of the issue raised in BSG regarding a government that operates like its representing planets that effectively no longer exists, and consequently move to represent ships instead, and it's quite apt. We did originally intend for the council, and the Jedi, to be structured very differently from their pre-Empire predecessors, and that was going to happen (to be fair, it's very different as it is), but real life absences got in the way.

To be honest, I think that's been the big issue, the activity and availability of council members. There's a lot going on at the moment, and Jedi will be looking to their leaders for guidance and support, and that has fell solely on Daria and Navaria shoulders lately. The addition of Zem and Serena to the council should help lighten the load.

My opinion:

I don't think we need to find things to post about - the current surge in posting is still a fairly recent phenomenon after six or so months of hardly anything happening. Things to post about will come around naturally. The council is around to facilitate whatever RP needs the Jedi have regarding missions or leadership input, and also to liase with the Rebels when needed. Other than that I imagine they'll just act like all the other Jedi do, just with an added layer of gravitas or something.

Things 'to post about' will come naturally. And Loki is already the Council's intern or something. Also I think Barton isn't a Jedi really, so that would be a bit weird. Hal just arrived, I don't think it would be good IC to trust him with responsibilities and power regarding the Jedi Order's safety until we know him better.

Plus, if the Council is superfluous, then adding more people to the fringes of it is unnecessary.

edit: Serena overseeing the Consular side of things is fine by me. Or even a ship, if we're doing something like the BSG model as Droo mentioned. We could stretch from one ship, the poor overtaxed and often referred to as much larger than it is Whaladon, to four, and have them all link up when not actually jumping through hyperspace. Like a bunch of houseboats on a lake all tied together.

Barton Henning
    We could have two Council members per 'school of thought':

Daria and Serena for the Consulars
    Navaria and ??? for the Sentinels?
    Loki and ??? for the Guardians?

I don't know which section Zem falls into.

Working out what the Council is for might make it easier for Council members to find things to post about.
    This isn't a problem at all for me, right now, just as a heads up. I'm fine for stuff to do

I think there had always been plans to extend the number of ships we had available to us. I think we even RPed a little of this out, trying to get more in the way of resources from the Alliance. But yeah, having the Jedi spread out would make sense from a tactical standpoint. United we may stand, but united we will also get blown to smithereens if anyone ever hits the Whaladon :mneh

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Henning View Post
    United we may stand, but united we will also get blown to smithereens if anyone ever hits the Whaladon :mneh
    Which, by the way, they frequently do. The amount of times people have flown into the Whaladon's imaginary hanger bay, I'm amazed there's anything left of it at all. Haha, can you imagine the scene onboard?

"Oh, no, not another one! Brace! Brace! Brace!"

Okay, I'm far too tired to contribute anything of worth to this discussion tonight. I waffled my way through the last post and forgot what my point was supposed to be. I shall return on the morrow!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast