Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL offseason

Sports 2012 NFL offseason

Figure this should get its own thread so Peyton Manning will be released tomorrow.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ning-wednesday

It will be very interesting to see who he will sign with. I hope the Chiefs get him. I know they are interested. I think the leading teams are
    Miami, Kansas City, Washington, Seattle, NY Jets, Arizona, and Tennessee. I suppose there could be a few surprise teams as well.

It's definitely the end of an era.

It reminds me of 1993 when the Niners traded Montana away. It is kind of sad to see it happen.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I think Arizona makes the most sense for Manning... decent talent level on both sides of the ball, one elite receiver in Larry Fitzgerald with cap room to add a still good Reggie Wayne as the #2, guaranteed 9 games a year indoors (8 home + 1 @ St. Louis), in a division that honestly still doesn't have a consistent front runner (San Fran will slide back a bit this year).

I think Miami will make a big push, though.

I give Miami the edge right now based on what I am hearing but anything can happen. I would love the Chiefs to make a huge push for him, although they better pick up Nicks if they want to protect him.

The Redskins have won the RG3 sweepstakes. Well, bought them out, anyway.

The Rams and Redskins have agreed to terms that will send the #2 pick in the draft to Washington, giving them the right to draft Robert Griffin III after the Colts select Andrew Luck #1. The Redskins beat out the Browns in the bidding war by offering a second-round pick (2012) and three first-round picks (2012, 2013, 2014).

This is exactly the sort of gaudy deal I should have expected from Bill Snyder, who seems convinced that he can spend his way out of mediocrity, but it still comes as a surprise to me. I don't think the Redskins have three players on their roster worthy of a first-round pick. Who is RG3 going to throw to? Who's going to protect him? You can't create a starting roster out of the free agency no matter how much cap room you have. All I can say is, their picks in rounds 3-7 had better be amazing this year.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    I wouldn't put Miami at the top just due to cap room. Brandon Marshall is a headcase and drops touchdown passes at an alarming rate. The rest of the team is mediocre to good.

To be honest, of the teams that are looking at Manning right now I think the most complete is Seattle. They have a #1 running back in Marshawn Lynch with some competent backups, they have some emerging targets at wide receivers, plus Sydney Rice if he can stay healthy, and a legitimate tight end in Zach Miller. Their defense was actually pretty good last year and was near the top of the league in stopping the run. They need to upgrade their pass rush, and they need to hope Russell Okung can make it through the year healthy, but the biggest thing holding them back last year in a lot of close games was the inconsistent play of Tarvaris Jackson. They also have loads of cap room, enough to give Manning a big contract and plug a few more holes in free agency. The most severe drawback I can see is that the sports media tends to consider them irrelevant.

I'd say Kansas City is next. Dwayne Bowe is a workhorse, and Charles is a dynamic threat out of the backfield (again, if he can stay healthy). The defense showed that it can be stifling, at least when they played Pittsburgh and Green Bay last year. Arizona's on a similar level; they have a great set of weapons on offense but a lot of questions on defense. I really don't get Denver. Was there any less settled offense in the league last year? Does Manning want to play behind a line that couldn't protect a quarterback as mobile as Tebow?

Obviously we're going to find out what his priorities are when he makes his pick.

He is in Arizona now and I wouldn't be shocked if he picked them now. I would love to see him in Kansas City, but he might go to Arizona because of the dome and weather.

I just saw at Facebook that the Niners signed Randy Moss to a 1-year contract. Hm. O_o

As expected, the Steelers offered WR Mike Wallace the $2.7 million tender as a restricted free agent, meaning that any team who wants to sign him will have to give the Steelers a 1st round pick in this year's draft. I'm still really concerned that some team is going to throw a monster deal at Wallace, or at least a deal that is toxicly cap-heavy in the first year. If that happens, the Steelers will be unable to match the deal, and Wallace will walk. An additional first-round pick will be a small consolation for losing a true #1 receiving threat, particularly one who puts that much pressure on opposing defenses and opens up the field for other receivers.
    Last edited by Dragon; Mar 13th, 2012 at 07:43:49 AM.

I can't think of anybody who will do it but you never know. As for Manning, I think it is down to the Cards, Dolphins, and now the Titans. They are a surprise team who only got into this race in the last few days. Manning is visiting them tomorrow. I could see him going there because of his connections with the state, especially if Adams throws money at him and they do have the talent to win now.

The coverage of the Manning saga on nfl.com and espn.com has been pretty laughable. The frontrunner at any given time is the team he's visiting right now. It really seems to me like Manning is testing the waters at his own pace, and we can only guess at what his priorities are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    The coverage of the Manning saga on nfl.com and espn.com has been pretty laughable. The frontrunner at any given time is the team he's visiting right now. It really seems to me like Manning is testing the waters at his own pace, and we can only guess at what his priorities are.
    True, I am not sure who the favorite is. I have changed my mind on that several times.

Peyton Hillis signs with the Chiefs
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...illis-contract

I like the move and combined with Charles, the Chiefs could have a great running back duo.

The Manning watch is becoming ridiculous. It looks like it is between the Titans, 49ers, and Broncos now. If he really wants to win now, he should go to the 49ers, although I wouldn't be shocked if he goes to the Titans since he has connections to the state. Being a Chiefs fan, I really don't want him to go to the Broncos.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Fingers crossed for the Niners!!!!!!!!!!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Terrible choice.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Terrible choice.
    I agree, the Niners had a better team and were more likely to go to the SB. Manning has less talent on offense (most people couldn't name one WR on the team). As a Chiefs fan, I hope they kill the Broncos and show Manning up. I really like the Chiefs defense and the moves they are making, etc at QB. I have never been comfortable with Matt Cassel, although at least he will have a good OL protecting him for the first time next season. And oh I am glad Dizzy can't post here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast