Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Pick 'em 2011: Week 9

The Chiefs just had a major letdown. I they didn't prepare well for this game. Their secondary is banged up and it doesn't help the offensive line can't give Cassel time to throw. They need to do something about the offensive line in the offseason.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    The penalties on offense really killed the Bucs this week, although missed tackles come in to a close second. Despite all that, they managed to close it to a one score game in the 4th.

Tom Brady is having his worst game of the season... right now he's 14/25 for 149 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, and a lost fumble that the Giants converted into a 10-yard touchdown run by Brandon Jacobs. The most you can say for the Giants offense so far is that they haven't done anything to lose the game, which is pretty sorry considering they're lining up against the 32nd-ranked defense; aside from yielding no turnovers, Eli Manning's line is worse than Brady's. But for the Giants defense to be doing this to the Patriots offense? Wow.

There's plenty of time for the Patriots to erase a 10-0 deficit, but not if they keep playing like this.

Incidentally, I wish I'd known Kevin Kolb wasn't playing when I made my pick for the Arizona-St. Louis game... Kolb may be no Kurt Warner, but it's hard to pick Josh Skelton to beat anybody.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I'll probably look like a shmuck for ranting about an 8-0 team, but here goes...

Green Bay has to get their defensive problems fixed, and soon, or they'll end up losing out on home field advantage. As dynamic as the offense has been, Rodgers and the receiving corp is completely carrying the team. They scored 31 points today, and it wasn't enough. They had to get two pick-six gifts from Philip Rivers to get them to 45 points, and it still nearly wasn't enough. The Packers had a 21 point lead near the midpoint of the 4th quarter, gave up 14 points in less than 3 minutes and had to hold on the final minute against the Chargers offense to win the game.

8-0 is great. Better than any other alternative. But this team won't go undefeated, and I seriously don't think they repeat and win another Super Bowl if Dom Capers doesn't get the defense fixed.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Don't you have a bunch of key front 7 injuries on the Packers?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Evanar View Post
    Don't you have a bunch of key front 7 injuries on the Packers?

Somewhat. Clay Matthews has been playing with a lingering hamstring problem all season. Despite that, he's still incredibly disruptive when he's not getting double and triple teamed. The main issue is that there's no other major pass rush threat besides him. Last year, that threat was Cullen Jenkins, who is now in Philly. Mike Neal was expected to step into that role, but hasn't played yet this season because of a knee problem. Jarius Winn and CJ Wilson are decent depth players, but they're not the answer. Eric Walden and Frank Zombo have been platooning at the OLB position opposite Matthews, but neither has been a consistent threat to get to the QB. Add in the fact that BJ Raji, who was amazing late last season, is having to play more snaps this year and just isn't as effective as when he could be subbed out more, and it's lead to problems.

Capers regularly is having to send extra guys on the blitz in an attempt to get pressure on opposing QBs, but that pressure almost never gets home in time to matter. It's so frustrating to watch a 6 man rush not even get close and the QB barely has to move at all in the pocket. It's no wonder the secondary is getting lit up on a regular basis... one can only expect so much from zone coverage. On top of that, there seems to be way too many "communication errors" in the secondary unit. Too many coverage screw ups and receivers being dropped all together... Vincent Jackson scored 2 of his 3 TDs today on blown coverages.

Even acknowledging that San Diego has a lot of offensive talent and can make explosive plays in the passing game... there's still no excuse for the defense nearly gagging today like they did.

Gah, I can't believe the Steelers choked that one away. Props to Baltimore for playing a great game and getting over a hurdle that's been plaguing them for years. Hopefully there'll be a chance for a rematch to set the record straight again.

Still, I'm upset that, for the second year in a row, the refs let the Ravens get away with putting a cheap helmet-to-helmet shot on one of our receivers. Last year it was Jameel McClain on Heath Miller, this year it was Ray Lewis on Hines Ward. The call may or may not have made a difference to the outcome of the game, but it's frustrating that the refs wouldn't extend the same protection to the Steelers as they're supposed to extend to the rest of the league.

Ouch, this was a rough week for a lot of us. Only 6 out of 16 were better than 50%, but that's enough to move Rutabaga into the lead with 90 wins. Meanwhile, the survivor pool is still in a dead heat with me, Kyran, and Park's still-successful bizarro run.

Thursday game this week, everybody!

Week 9 Tally

Mu Satach: 10-4
    Liam Jinn: 9-5
    Miranda Tarkin: 9-5
    Morgan Evanar: 8-6
    Park Kraken: 8-6
    Ryan Pode: 8-6
    Aurelias Kazaar: 7-7
    Dragon: 7-7
    Figrin D'an: 7-7
    jjwr: 7-7