Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Yes I did. Sorry for the missunderstanding here that idiom got lost in translation.

Korax
    I dunno, Ted just felt like a really long family guy episode. I'm usually done with those about ten minutes in.

BAHAHAHA.

This movie blew the entire Raimi trilogy outta the water in its first 30 minutes. Perfect set-up on Spidey and the Stacys, Uncle Ben's death was moving, But not as much as Flash showing Peter sympathy in the next scene, after being Peter's antagonist for first half, and the plot hook for the next one has me going out of my mind in anticipation.

Mark wants to say it was unoriginal? I disagree. An adaptation is always going to use familiar elements from its source material, and this one used them extremely well to tell a great new story. But, for what it's worth: The fight scene in the school looks a lot like a motion picture version of the one that happened between Spidey and Green Goblin in the first arc of Ultimate Spider-Man. The two zeroes are from there, too; they mark the spider that bites Peter and gives him his powers in that continuity. The talk of Osborn dying and needing the formula to survive is entirely new, but also looks a little like that arc. While we're at it, Peter using his dad's old notes and tools to make webbing comes from Ultimate as well.

The story on his costume has always been that it was a unitard with a silk-screened image of a spider and webbing, and for the most part, this version's suit looked conceivably like a high school kid coulda made it on his own. The deaths of Richard and Mary have consistently been a mysterious plane crash, and Gwen Stacy is, in all but one instance, Peter's first and truest love.

Going to cut off here to give some more of the membership time to see it and chip in, and to prevent an enormous block of gray spoiler bar. Going to see this again with my girlfriend and family for sure.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Loved it. LOVED IT. I would go again. (I only paid £3.50 for the ticket as well, absolutely worth it!)

Maybe I am just too emotional lately but there were numerous times I was on the verge of crying during this film.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    I genuinely liked it AND I wasn't expecting to. Had some very gorgeous shots that felt like they were right out of a graphic novel.

However, I miss Aunt May. There was just something amazingly endearing about Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Despite my reservations, I decided to watch it after all. Did we need this reboot? No. But I found it entertaining.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I really enjoyed the movie - the most unbelievable thing about it is that Andrew Garfield is British, and 28.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to.

I really liked the way they approached most of the characters. With Peter, skater boy > parkour montage was believable, and they worked in his sass really nicely. They made Uncle Ben seem suitably wise, and they managed to avoid saying the line. I really liked Gwen's father too: the "I think you're crazy, but I'm going to check out your story just in case" was a really nice touch.

The movie seemed to be teasing me with narrowly avoided cliches. I had to really fight against the urge to yell Just tell her that you made a promise! at the end; I was very happy to see that Gwen was smart enough to work it out for herself.

I wasn't a fan of the Lizard CGI (I didn't like the face), but I thought the web shooters were done really well. I liked that Spiderman did more than just swing on his webs and use them to pull stuff - it was a lot closer to what the cartoons have taught me to expect from Spidey. And speaking of webs - was I the only one who got choked up by the bit with the cranes?
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ^ Nope, I had multiple teary-eyed moments including the scene with the cranes.

I'm with you on not liking the Lizard CGI, but I think it could have been worse. I've actually been thinking about going to see this again, since I enjoyed it so much.

I enjoyed the reboot. I actually think the best thing it had going for it was that massive turd that Spiderman 3 had left behind. But I don't think it was as good as Raimi's first 2 efforts. I really didn't like this version of Uncle Ben's death. I particularly didn't like that they reworked Uncle Ben's dialogue. I need to hear that famous line. It's defines the character and is at the heart of what Spiderman is all about.

I did enjoy Garfield as Spidey and I like that they went closer to the comics by having Gwen be his first love interest. I hope they have the guts to kill her off somewhere down the line.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Actually, the line "With great power comes--great responsibility!" wasn't said by Uncle Ben in Amazing Fantasy #15, it was the text that served as narration.[/nerd] But it IS an iconic line and I'd have taken it paraphrased outta Peter or even George Stacy during the dinner scene.

Sorry to double post, but I wanted to comment on one last thing. I got to see the comic where the Lizard first debuted over the weekend, and guess what? He had no snout! Yes, in his first appearance, he looked exactly as he was portrayed in this movie, so huge bonus points to Mr. Webb for catching that detail and tossing it in there. So no more crying about the Lizard's face, okay kids?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Banner Laverick
    I'm hella excited, even though I cried through most of the movie when I watched it >_>; Glad they got the same director, too.

No surprise on the sequel - it would have needed to have bombed right out for them to pass on continuing the new series.

I managed to catch Amazing Spider-man the other week. I'm not a fan of the character, but I'll admit I enjoyed it more than any of the Raimi films (which despite being visually impressive more-or-less left me cold - even SM2). I got a fair bit of a Batman Begins vibe coming from it which is a good thing IMHO, and I'm actually looking forward to the next one.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

I'm worried about how long it will take before they start recycling villains from the Raimi trilogy. Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom are some of the major players.

Part of the theme of Amazing Spiderman was the fact that Peter was partially responsible for the creation of the villain. That's a theme that showed up a lot during the cartoon from the nineties. It would be interesting to see Scorpion - a petty crook and reluctant participant in an attempt to recreate Spiderman's powers - recreated, perhaps with Norman Osborn being the one responsible for pulling the strings. In fact, Osborn was behind quite a lot of stuff in that cartoon series, often working for the Kingpin - in particular, he created the technology for the Hobgoblin before eventually becoming the Green Goblin himself.

If they do decide that Octavius needs to be in the movies imminently, I hope they take some inspiration from the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon. In that, Osborn is again the mastermind behind a lot of what is going on; and Octavius is (to begin with at least) his science bitch, lurking in a little cave while he studies Spiderman from afar. It could be cool to use that motif to introduce "lesser" villains, only to eventually have Doctor Octopus appear as the leader of the "Sinister Six" a few movies down the line.

I finally saw the movie today, and although I found it to be a little slow, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do in the sequel. And I'm not surprised that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have become a couple in real life...they had boatloads of chemistry in the movie.

Oh, and btw...Andrew Garfield is without a doubt a MUCH better crier than Tobey Maguire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123