Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: First Timers (spoilers!)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Finally watched The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances (also Boom Town). Further thoughts to come.

THOUGHTS THAT CAME:

Let it just be said that it is a good thing there were no water bottles near me while I was watching the two-parter. Things could have gotten ugly, yo.

The very first mummy and glimpse of the kid on the roof reduced me to bundle of nerves and I spent the rest of the time watching through my fingers and alternatively screaming and kicking the air in savage defense. Sometimes both. The worst parts were watching people's faces mutate into the gask masks - horrifying D= and when the sister/mummy is hiding beneath the table and creepy Jamie is walking around looking for her and all you see from beneath the tablecloth are his legs. The tension there was so thick and when she made a break for it and he whipped around I nearly pissed myself in fright!
    Last edited by Wyl Staedtler; Apr 30th, 2011 at 12:14:00 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I also just watched those two episodes!

Mummy...

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Just this once, everybody lives! :3

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Does the world end if the Doctor dances? :3

I liked it, and I liked Captain Jack (who I know goes on to Torchwood and has a very convoluted timeline).

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Jack Harkness is a legend! John Barrowman is awesome in the part.

I'm currently on Series 2. I think I've got two episodes to go - just watched the one with Peter Kay - brilliant! Hehe! Going to see him in November.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    I still have yet to come properly around to Captain Jack but he's slowly wearing me down, damn him. What a bastard.

Annnnd that's the first series done!

Have to say, there are a lot of moments and creatures in this show so far that have scared the pants off me but the Daleks aren't included. I can't even take them seriously - they're like little saltshakers with warbly voices and obsessive personalities.

But I really enjoyed the finale and there were a few moments where I found myself getting really caught up in the emotions of it, something that doesn't happen often even with shows I lovelovelove. My brother wanted to know what was wrong with me.

A couple of my favourite bits:

The Doctor's goodbye message to Rose as he sent her home in the TARDIS slayed me. Auugh, so gorgeous. "If you want to remember me you can do one thing, that's all, one thing: have a good life. Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life."

Also: "Coward. Any day." Oh, you lie, you brilliant man. That moment just summed up the Doctor for me.

Time-hopped Rose was so badass and even though the lines leading up to it made me cringe a bit the fact that they finally KISSED was awesome.

What a great lead-in to the next season! I wasn't sure what to expect in regards to the doctor changing forms but it was really well done and flowed perfectly within the bounds of the scene. Fantastic last-first words!

WHAT'S UP SERIES 2, HERE I COME.
    Last edited by Wyl Staedtler; Apr 30th, 2011 at 12:14:29 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Augh spoilers!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    WHAT'S UP SERIES 2, HERE I COME.
    In the words of the Tenth Doctor himself: Allons-y!

Taya Robbins
    It's so much fun to read your reactions - it's almost like experiencing the show for the first time again!

As regards the series 1 finale in particular: I remember seeing Christopher Eccleston morph into the skinny, spazzy David Tennant and thinking, "Who's this goofball?" He didn't have the gravitas Eccleston did, and he came out sounding silly, and I just knew it wouldn't be the same Doctor I was used to.

And I was right. Tennant's Doctor is so different from Eccleston's and yet so, so brilliant. Eccleston has more of a rough edge around him - you can tell he's the product of his horrific experiences in the Time War. Tennant... is just Tennant. He's even more mad, even more fun, and yet is still able to turn on the pathos and be the compassionate Doctor, or turn on the danger and be the Oncoming Storm. I honestly cannot choose a favorite Doctor, but now that Eccleston's laid the groundwork, the stories only get more intense and more breathtaking from here on out. You're in for a great ride.

Oh, and I'm not sure how they're laid out in Netflix - does Series 2 include the first Christmas Special?

Chaz de Coventina
    Think so! That`s The Christmas Invasion, yes? I`m halway through that but I had to pause because, duh, hockey.

I`m still trying to get used to the changes! I was so attached and haven`t had time to adjust yet. Oh, Mr. Eccleston, you were grand. A gentleman and a scholar, bru. *one tear*

Polly Smithson
    Ahaha this needs like weeks of practice but it's vaguely recognizable, sort of? Whatever, I vote someone who knows how to read music and what the various keys are actually called get the sheet music. *coughHOLLYcough* *coughCHRISTINcough*