Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Something Like Home

Julie Moon
    There was a weight of responsibility, Julie felt it press against her shoulders as she stepped outside and into the sun. It was the challenge of wrapping up a first encounter that had been both sweet and sour; she had been cold and offhanded, he'd been patient and kind, and it was time to make things right. For Julie, this meant one of two things: she could give him the cold shoulder and cement her reputation as the bitch of Banyon Street, or if she dared she could venture beyond her comfort zone and try for a little friendliness. The implications behind such a decision were earth-shattering. She took a breath, and wrapped her arms across her chest as Jake fumbled his parting words.

"Thank you," she interrupted, "For today. It was nice to experience a little normality."

"Normality?" he repeated, poking a thumb over his shoulder, "That's a new one."

Jake slouched against the doorframe to stop himself shifting his weight between feet. The conversation with Antonio still rung in his mind; there were so many important things going on, life in Los Santos felt like a turbulent maelstrom of ill-fortune and uncertain tomorrows, and yet, caught in a moment of perfect stillness, he found himself unnerved.

"Listen, about earlier-"

Julie Moon
    "When can you start?"

An unflattering mix of confusion and surprise warped Jake's face, furnishing him with the features of a gawking ten year old, complete with train tunnel mouth. It was said. Julie had surrendered her words to the ether and, despite the sudden urge to clobber him free of his stupid expression, she was obliged to stand by them. She gave a shrug and happily averted her gaze down the street.

"It's probably the PG Tips talking but you were right. A lot work has gone into this house. I'm impressed. And if I have any hope of turning that shed into a home, or something like it, I could use your help."

"Okay," he managed at last, and shook the uncertainty from his voice, "Okay. That's great. Does tomorrow sound okay?"

Tomorrow. That was one day. Less than a day. He had less than a day to prepare himself for the single largest battle of home improvement he'd ever engaged. His mind raced over the long list of half-truths and bullshit he relayed earlier, the thought of it made his stomach knot, but it was what he wanted. It was a fortunate quirk of fate that Antonio was visiting, from whom he could syphon off whatever tips he was willing to share - Jake grimmaced inwardly, he could already see his brother's smug grin. He smiled.

"I wasn't expecting that."

Julie Moon
    "You surprise easily for a psychic."

The probing look in her eyes was accentuated by an arched eyebrow. His reaction was curious, and she noted he didn't look quite as pleased about her decision as she'd expected, perhaps she'd read him wrong after all. In any case, they had an agreement and she would weather it, prepared for the worst. She gave him a nod and a flicker of a smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah. See you."

He watched her reach the end of the path, where she had a stuggle with the gate, then shut the door. Sounds of bright conversation flowed from the kitchen; Anna was laughing, a rich, deeply genuine kind of laugh that had been too long gone from her life. It added to the swell of warmth in his belly as his thoughts ran to Julie, halfway home.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456