Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Novgorod: A Comedy of Errors

Reb Novgorod: A Comedy of Errors

Quite a number of years ago...

"No. Absolutely not."

And as if that was not enough to adequately express her concerns over this whole matter, she went on.

"No. No no no no no no no. Thirty-six times, no."

Loklorien s'Ilancy held a single finger up to the holo of the man she was speaking with.

"It is degrading, unacceptable, and I simply won't be a part of this."

Her finger waggled, and she kept on without allowing any chance for interruption.

"Something like this is completely and utterly... unequivocally, out of the question. If you need someone for this particular endeavor of yours, find some low-rent Rodian trollop."

The man, looking perfectly pained as he endured her tirade, pursed his lips, looked about to speak, then thought the better of it as she continued her rant.

"Do I look like the kind of woman to even consider doing what you're asking?"

She thrust her face towards the screen.

"Do I?"
    Last edited by s'Il; Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:56:32 PM.

It was dangerous to venture an answer, but the General knew she was expecting one.

"No Loklorien, you do not look like that type of woman. But please, this is not something I'd ask of you lightly.

He was helpless in the face of her indigence, and in near-desperation he went on.

"Where is Dan?"

"He's on the bridge," she answered with a snap.

"And don't think he'll be of any help - I'm the one you're asking, and I say no."

Brecklin threw his hands up as he leaned back in his seat, looking away for a moment. He needed to collect his thoughts, perhaps try to word his request better. And truthfully, it was not really a request, but more of an order - make the Jedi woman help us with this.

The only problem, was the 'this' that had been ordered.

"There's no one else we trust more," he finally gave in, hoping she would at least hear him out. He'd not even been able to get three sentences into it before her vehement refusal.

"We need you and Dan to do this."

Another shake of her finger, and her eyes narrowed.

"Dan isn't doing anything, and I won't either."

"I'll get a hold of him at some point, you know this, right?"

"I don't care. I'm not doing it."

Leaning back in her seat, the Lupine folded her arms across her chest as she glared blaster bolts at Brecklin.

He opened his mouth to speak, and she cut him off.

"No. I don't know how many times I can tell you this. Find someone else; I'm not going to do it."

Her hand reached out then, and s'Il pressed the button that ended the comm connection, cutting off any other of the General's arguments, and as the screen went blank she scowled.

It was demeaning, and she would never... never lower herself to such a thing.

And when Dan returned from his regular shift, she would let him know just how unsatisfied she was with the Rebellion.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    An hour later, and Dan was relieved by his night watch command. On a ship as small as Novgorod, that meant a junior Lieutenant. The younger officer took the log book from Dan with a curt salute, and Dan vacated his seat, already unbuttoning his jacket as he headed off the bridge.

Two minutes later, he was at his quarters, buzzing the door open.

In the doorway that connected the main living area to the bedroom, s'Il stood like a diminutive sentinel. With arms crossed and a superbly angry set to her features, she let her steely glare hit Dan as he stepped inside.

She set upon him like a relentless pack of razorhounds, and all without taking a step towards him.

"I want it known for future reference, that I am not some common-born harlot your Rebellion can sling around to any system they like."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Dan opened his mouth to say something, promptly closed it, and then attempted to say something again.

"I..."

She looked more than a bit perturbed.

"...what?"

"Oh you heard me," she waved a hand in his direction, but otherwise didn't move as he stepped across the threshold to allow the door to close behind him.

The poor man looked like an eopie in a speeder's headlights, but that didn't seem to slow her down.

"I am here to fight the Empire. Not... "

Previously held outside of his view, s'Il now brandished a small box. It looked like a garment box, but far too small. She waved it at him in pseudo-accusation.

"... to put on some 'outfit' - and I use that term incredibly loosely - for the pleasure of a Hutt."

She paused, blinked, then finished with a minor amendment and another shake of the box at him for good measure.

"... again."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Dan looked at her as if she had lizard monkeys crawling out of her ears.

"Yeah....

...you're gonna need to tell me what's going on."

Scowling, s'Il glared at him. It was true, he had no way of knowing about the conversation she'd shared with General Brecklin, but it still did not soothe her ruffled feathers over this new indignity.

"Don't look at me like that," she half-turned, throwing the small box onto the bed.

It was as if the hour long peace and quiet between the General's comm and Dan's arrival hadn't existed, and s'Il once more renewed her verbal tear.

"It's demeaning and dishonorable," she stood up as straight as her diminutive stature would allow, shoulders back and head held high.

"I am an Apex, not some two-credit a'neh'e'k desperate for money and attention."

It did nothing to explain her current state, and before she could say another word, the comm on his desk chimed. She knew who it was. She knew oh so well who it was. In a huff she finally stepped out into the main living area, advancing on Dan with a finger leveled at him.

"Don't you dare answer that."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Dan hadn't so much as budged, and had his hands up defensively.

"Alright, it can wait."

Speaking of waiting, he still stood patiently, his hands now gesturing at her to hopefully get her to elaborate and explain just what in the hell she was so ruffled over.

The Lupine ignored the chime, and it wasn't long before it stopped altogether. She veered away from her original path, and stepped into the small kitchen area in search of something to do.

"General Brecklin informed me of our next mission -" she pulled a decanter of amber liquid toward her.

"... in Hutt space."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Ah, it was that.

Dan exhaled, giving a big shrug and an uneasy smile.

"Well, I'm sure it won't be like that...this time."

Their last experience with the Hutts was, to put it mildly, uncomfortable.

"Don't be so sure."

She stared at him.

"Apparently one of the Hutt clans is working closely with the Empire to provide Wookiees for labor."

Crossing her arms then, s'Il paused, gave a long sigh, and went on.

"We're to pose as a slaver ship."

It didn't need to be said what sort of role she herself would be required to play in this little game of subterfuge.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Dan winced.

"Isn't that, uh, a little cliché?"

Cliché, but potentially still a workable ruse. Still, the last time they'd had Hutt dealings, Lok had ended up in a similar humiliating spot and he had...well...had a worse go of it.

"So I take it Brecklin's been attempting to talk you up on this idea then?"

s'Il nodded grumpily, looking as if she'd just swallowed a mouthful of dirt slugs.

"He has."

She pursed her lips and gave the countertop a slap.

"And yes, it's a lot cliché. I'll not lower myself in such a manner. The General will just have to find another ship and crew."

As if on cue, the comm chimed once more, and s'Il let out a groan, leaning forward to prop herself on the counter, burying her head in her arms.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The General let out a long sigh.

"Guess I'll go get that, then."

The walk to the comm was a short one, but felt like an eternity. Dan closed the distance, paused a moment to collect himself, and hit the button to open the channel.

"General, we were just talking about you."

"I don't doubt it."

Brecklin crossed his arms as he leaned back in his seat, his expression stern.

"I'm sure that she has also informed you of your next orders from High Command."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "About those orders..."

Dan started to frame his rebuttal, going delicately.

"...working in Hutt space, yeah we can do that. But, I think the cover that's been imagined for us is a little...unimaginative."

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast