Thread: What are you reading?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Finally reading Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovich. Good so far - I think it's fairly obvious he likes jazz, or he's good at faking it. Next I want to read The Hunger Games and see what that's all about.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    About 3/4's of the way through Grapes of Wrath. Dammit that book infuriates me as much as The Jungle depressed me.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

So, why does everyone keep calling me Mr. Blonde?

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EquableJarl0 PSN ID: TXViking43
    The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I read Star Wars: Knight Errant this afternoon, which is set just before The Old Republic novel series. Sadly, that series isn't available on Kindle.. might have to make a trip to the bookshop and see about picking them up though.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Still haven't read The Hunger Games. My sister-in-law has the trilogy though so I'm set for borrowing them soon!

Recently read (in the last four weeks):
    A Dance with Dragons - G. R. R. Martin (1040 pages)

Ghost Story - Jim Butcher (496 pages)

Ghost Country - Patrick Lee (384 pages)

The Breach - Patrick Lee (384 pages) - I read both of these in one day, and in the wrong order. The Breach is supposed to be first, btw, oops.

Directive 51 - John Barnes (496 pages) - This book is DENSE but totally worth reading. One of those books where you can tell the author did a LOT of research for.

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi (300 pages) - This is a multiple award winner, but seemed at times to have its head up it's own bottom. There were a lot of things that the author did not expand upon, which I would have loved to read more about - there is a fascinating history behind the world that we find ourselves thrown into, but it was never really talked about beyond hints here and there. Also the ending was a little "What. " Still! Its a good book and talks about things I've never seen before in a sci-fi book - what happens when companies genetically engineer food and then genetically engineer viruses and plagues that their food is immune too, and then strangle the world economy (and kill millions) with their greed, and where foods are lost and extinct because they were wiped out a century ago by some genehacked plague. It's very fascinating. I guess I want to read the prequel where all of that happens, this book deals with the world as it is after this has happened.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Currently reading Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, which is about superheroes/villains, but more about the people they are than their powers.

Also listening my way through The Final Empire: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, a fantasy 'epic' exploring what happens after the dark lord wins.

TheHolo.Net Poster

120 pounds of tail, claws, and libido. She's like a slice of delicious, poisonous pie, with extra carnal sauce.

AKA
    Holly
    Mistborn is on my list of series I want to get into! What do you think of it?

you make me come... you make me complete...
    you make me completely miserable

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It's pretty... unique. The magic system isn't like anything I've ever read before, although so far I feel like there is maybe too much telling and not enough showing happening. I know this is only part of a series though so perhaps the author is just trying to get a lot of groundwork done for what's to come. I am enjoying the audio book anyway

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Finally went about getting my replacement Kindle, and used my amazon gift card (Birthday gift!) to go on a book spree.

A Portable MFA in Creative Writing by the New York Writers' Workshop - looking forward to this one, as it has plenty of exercises and such that I plan on using for Ben and Onashi's stories, as well as some of the stuff I'm trying to get published.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - Haven't heard or read much about it; any thoughts, those of us who have read it?

The Frozen Sky by Jeff Carlson - a science fiction short story about meeting alien life on Europa. What else did I need to draw me in?

Pagan by Andrew Chapman - From what I heard, it's about a guy who is part of a government agency whose particular goal is to hunt down vampires, werewolves, and other such things, while along the way seeing how much of that he can do either drunk or hung over.

There are a couple other things, but these are the ones I'll be reading over the next week or so; if the hurricane hits, well, I'm prepared!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Doctor Jesus Terrible
    aka. The Bottomless Pit

A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge
    Hyperion - Dan Simmons

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Hyperion is soooo so good.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Doctor Jesus Terrible
    aka. The Bottomless Pit

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Hyperion is soooo so good.
    Ja. Canterbury Tales....IN SPAAAAAAACE!

Also adding:

Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons (John Keats versus the Space Pope)
    A Deepness in the Sky - Vernor Vinge (I can't really describe the craziness that is Vernor Vinge)
    Neuromancer - William Gibson (Shadowrun in book form but much better)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Just devoured 'Spellbound' by Kelley Armstrong last night. Attempting to finish up a couple books I've been nibbling at amongst the jungles of life... who knows when I'll really have time to truly enjoy a book again!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

[insert vespa picture]

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Currently reading Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, which is about superheroes/villains, but more about the people they are than their powers.

Also listening my way through The Final Empire: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, a fantasy 'epic' exploring what happens after the dark lord wins.
    I LOVED Soon I will be Invincible!

Currently, I'm reading The Once and Future King.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm about half way through The Hunger Games.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Finished a couple more Chesterton books: Ireland, Bernard Shaw, The Man Who Was Thursday, and one or two others.

Finished Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. Pretty good. The best parts are those where the main character is in the nursing home. The others are interesting, but not particularly gripping.

About halfway through John Dies at the End; again, this is awesome. Some awesome quotes:

"He says when you're dealing with any kind of supernatural beings, Gods and Devils and angels, you tend to think about them like hurricanes or earthquakes, some kind of mindless force of nature. But if they're real, then they have minds. They know your name. So even reading about the Devil tips him off, he knows instantly he's being read about and that you're somebody he may have to deal with."
    ---
    "John, let me make one thing clear," Jim said, cutting me off in his most stern, evangelical voice. "Every man is blessed with his gifts from the Lord. One of mine happens to be a penis large enough that, if it had a penis of its own, my penis's penis would be larger than your own."
    ---
    "You got any final requests, in case this don't end well?"

"Yeah. Avenge my death."
    ---
    Fred said, "Man, I think he's gonna make a fuckin' suit of human skin, using the best parts from each of us."

"Holy crap," said John. "He'll be gorgeous."

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Hunger Games was a decent, btw - and a very quick read. One of those books that you can blitz through in a day.

I've just discovered that some of the Kushiel's Legacy series is on Kindle, so I picked up the trilogy about Phedre. I've read the first two books before, but not for a while, so I'm enjoying revisiting them

skinnerr
    I am reading Russell Brand's Booky Wook 2, which I just started with earlier. I found his humor very witty and filled with substance. I know that there is not much audience to that type of humor as some can find them not funny often bordering annoying but as for anything, he has his share of good followers as well.

The book is actually about how he came to be, I mean what he is now often sharing stuff about the past that made him tough as nails.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    Finished John Dies at the End. The end was pretty good, though what the shadow people did is kinda weird.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I read through The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss (of League of Gentlemen/ Doctor Who / Sherlock fame) recently, which was thoroughly enjoyable, and am now onto the second book in the 'Lucifer Box' series which is called Devil In Amber (I think)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast