TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/22/sy...ood-and-chrome

A few months ago, the Syfy network commissioned an online series called 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome,' a chronicle of the war experiences of young William Adama.

The network liked Michael Taylor's script for the project so much that Syfy will air 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome' on the network as the pilot for a possible young Adama TV series.

Mark Stern, Syfy's executive vice president of original programming and the co-head of original content for Universal Cable Productions, said the network hoped to begin production on the pilot in Vancouver in early 2011.

"When we read Michael's script, it was so clearly a full-blown pilot for a series," Stern said in a Thursday interview. "The scope is fantastic and bigger, I think, than anticipated, so we said, 'Let's do it as a 2-hour backdoor pilot.' ... We're trying to get up and running as soon as possible."
    Ensign William Adama frak yeah.
    Last edited by Dasquian Belargic; Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:12:22 PM.

Oliver Queen
    Concept Art ahoy!

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-a...attles1s.php#1

Not too sure about the JJ Abrams / Star Trek style alien critter... but that vintage Raptor looks so pretty.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    And they've canceled SG:U for this. No season three.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Who said they cancelled SG:U for this? This isn't the only new series coming to SyFy.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

You caught me, I am not telling the truth in my anguish over SG:U not being renewed.

Oliver Queen
    It's actually the other way around Holly. Sort of.

SGU was drawing reasonable ratings for Syfy on a Friday, whereas Sanctuary was pulling lower numbers. When Syfy picked up its two hours of wrestling on a Friday, there was only one free hour in the "prime" slot. Because SGU was viewed as the stronger original show, it was moved to Tuesdays because they thought it could stand on it's own, and left the weaker Sanctuary with wrestling as a ratings crutch.

Sanctuary has flourished in that slot, and had a major uptick in ratings; and it looks like it'll be getting a Season 4, which it originally wasn't going to. We also owe the tech behind Sanctuary for the existance of Blood and Chrome: they broke ground on the idea of a series filmed predominantly on green screen and location (rather than physical in-studio sets), and proved that the approach could output the kind of quality they wanted at the kind of price tag they were willing to pay.

(For those interested, Sanctuary uses computer games engines to render environments, rather than the traditional techniques... so it actually works out cheaper, despite being heavy on the CGI and special effects.)

By comparison, SGU is not a "good enough deal" for Syfy. It doesn't deliver good enough ratings in the time slot they've placed it in, versus the production costs. Even if they'd left it on a Friday though, the show's premise and format is less accessible to casual viewers: it's arc-driven, more overtly sci-fi, part of a broader franchise, etc.

The people to blame for SGU being cancelled are the scheduling people at Syfy... but their decision to move SGU "accidentally" made B&C possible, because of the boost it gave Sanctuary.

...yes, I realise that sounds as round-about and convoluted as a BSG / SGU plot.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Lol I don't see how that is 'the other way around' but all I was trying to express was my sadness at SG:U not being renewed. I understand the how's and why's involved, really.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Oliver Queen
    It's the other way around because Blood and Chrome isn't the reason for SGU's cancellation... but SGU being moved is what caused the cause of Blood and Chrome.

Or maybe it was caused by the cause of the cause of ...

... Colonel Young is a Cylon.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Aaron Douglas teases us with a shot of the Blood and Chrome 'tone presentation package' - http://yfrog.com/h7bvmrj

It has what I guess are scene / set descriptions for a B&C episode along the bottom of the picture.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/26/ba...d-chorme-cast/

Syfy has cast Luke Pasqualino (Skins — U.K.) as Adama. While Ben Cotton (Hellcats, Riese) is the other lead, playing Adama’s commanding officer.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    a mother frakkin' trailer has been released at last

A motherfracking blocked trailer.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    That is one jittery trailer. It is cut short and fast to enhance all that action but I would've liked to have seen a little bit of dialogue, a whiff of plot just to whet my appetite, but then considering the damage they did with Caprica I'm not surprised they wanted to shove as much action down our throats as possible the first glimpse we get of it. I liked the music choice what with the hammer of the Gods driving our ships to new lands and so forth, but if anything, apart from that dodgy first shot, it's plain to see that this show has had a fortune spent on it!

Kat Harriman
    I hope this means BM is putting some Led Zepplin in the soundtrack.

I see what Droo means about the stacks of money that have been thrown at it. The cast is surprisingly good as well: not big names, but I can vouch for a fair few of them being pretty good character actors, from what I've seen of them elsewhere.

I wonder what's going on with the paint job on those Vipers. The one that Husker is climbing into is all grey, but in the snippets of action we saw, they had the classic white-and-red. Also is it me, or did the Raptor look a wee bit different?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    That is one jittery trailer. It is cut short and fast to enhance all that action but I would've liked to have seen a little bit of dialogue, a whiff of plot just to whet my appetite, but then considering the damage they did with Caprica I'm not surprised they wanted to shove as much action down our throats as possible the first glimpse we get of it. I liked the music choice what with the hammer of the Gods driving our ships to new lands and so forth, but if anything, apart from that dodgy first shot, it's plain to see that this show has had a fortune spent on it!
    I think they must have blown all the money which *should* have gone on writing dialogue on inserting lens flares into that trailer

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I heard that Syfy is not making this a series and is just airing the two hour movie, T/F?

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Yep, it seems like it's been cancelled before it's even out the door: http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/batt...ancelled-syfy/

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    he problem was that this was not an official trailer but a demo reel not intended for public consumption and thus not put through the process of clearing music and other rights.
    Oh. Well that explains the break-neck speed of the cuts in the trailer then, I guess. Anyway, make your mind up Syfy. Either make this good or don't make it at all.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Free on the YouTubes? Frakin A!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast