Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jedi Shadows

Why else do you think we were assigned to her if not to find the killer? Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi. It's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied in our mandate.
    I think this pretty much sums up why Jedi Investigators is a good name: not because it's Anakin-endorsed... but because Anakin, and the general tone, seems to represent a lot of what we're trying to encompass. Here, we have a slightly headstrong, slightly reckless Jedi who wants to go beyond the specific letter of rules and regulations, to do what he feels needs to be done in order to achieve their goals. Its the proactive agent versus the reactive guardian; which is exactly the kind of thing we're talking about with this.

Also, with it sounding less elite and aggressive, it does sound like the sort of thing that might be a bit more "Padawan friendly", if one of the Knights decides to bring them along.

Further to that: having the Rebels approach the Jedi for assistance - perhaps on a specific event / mission (to do with the superweapon, perhaps?) - and having the Council respond that they will "investigate" the matter sounds like exactly the sort of infuriatingly non-committal response that one would expect.

Eragon_Dushall
    I don't think the term investigator would fit a group of Jedi as such. In fact most Jedi were investigators. Yes Anakin was right in that protection itself was overkill but that was a different circumstance. If you look at the past missions they went through as well as future missions most Jedi went through there was some form of investigation. The Shadows were completely different.

Look at the article on the shadows again. To be a "Investigator" there would have to be a crime or evidence of a crime about to be committed. Then the Jedi would investigate the matter and either bring to justice the criminal or stop them before they commit the crime. A shadow goes off and looks for the dark side without any signs of it being there. They see the darkside everywhere and will exterminate it no matter what the cost. It says in the article that they did have to watch themselves because what they considered being darkside qualities wasn't exactly shared by the counsel.

These shadow agents were ruthless when it came to exterminating the darkside. They went after it while the rest of the Jedi waited for it. They would infiltrate a group of dark Jedi or sith and hide undercover until the moment was right. That's why it wasn't allowed for Jedi padawans to join. It would have been to dangerous to expose them to it.

I think something other then Investigator should be used if no one is likes shadow... Maybe "Hunters". just a shot.

Acacius Blade
    Quote Originally Posted by Eragon_Dushall View Post
    To be a "Investigator" there would have to be a crime or evidence of a crime about to be committed.
    Not necessarily. I remember doing plenty of math investigations at school. You can also carry out clinical investigations. There doesn't have to be an air of official, law-enforcement-ism to it. And after all, it's just a name.

I do agree that it's not the most attractive name given the job description.

Jenny recently mentioned she's starting a force-wielding assassin - a dervish. I instantly thought of the class from the Nightfall expansion for Guild Wars. That also had a Paragon class I believe - I think thats a cool name and it's not too far removed from 'Paladin' who are basically holy crusaders - a nice yin to the Inquisitions yang.

And just to throw some other labels out there, what about Templars (awesome Starcraft reference as well!) or Justicar (from various fiction sources including WoW, Warhammer 40,000 and WhiteWolf)?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    In fact most Jedi were investigators.
    *scratches head*

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_ace
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Watchman
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Healer
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_archaeologist
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_historian
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_librarian
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_geologist (wtf lol)

If you look at the past missions they went through as well as future missions most Jedi went through there was some form of investigation.
    Yes, but we are not trying to play Anakin. Nor make it possible for anybody to play Anakin-like character. During the Clone Wars, Anakin did more field fighting than covert operations. Obviously, being the most famous Jedi at that time made it difficult for him to infiltrate anything, no?
    It's like Barack Obama trying to pose as homeless. Nobody buys it.

They would infiltrate a group of dark Jedi or sith and hide undercover until the moment was right.
    I don't like this idea. Why? Because very very very very few RPers could pull this off and make it believable(me not included, for the record). There are a few practical problems; if I am to have a proper cover and earn their trust, I would have to kill in the way they do, by using the Dark Side. And once I'm down that lane... I might never return.
    The only person who can effectively do this is Cade Skywalker.

Lemme sum up my general idea, regardless to what Wookieepedia says on Shadows or Investigators.

This is a Jedi who works behind the scenes. Missions may include stealing a holocron from the Galactic museum, secretly guarding a person of importance, infiltration into various Imperial establishments, negotiating supplies with the galactic underworld. It should be a person who easily blends in with the crowd, knows how to cover their tracks and track others, has the ability to think both deductively and inductively, has people skills and the ability to think quick and devise solutions. Resourcefulness and cunningness are a prerequisite.

When it comes to Force powers, this Jedi should have mastered Force Cloak, making themselves virtually invisible. While physical side of Force powers is not overly important, mentalism is. Immunity against mind tricks and illusions is often useful against darksiders.

How about lightsaber skills? Something along the lines of Soresu or Makashi. Djem So is far to agressive as is Vaapad. Niman is too flimsy.

Philosophy? Prefreably this - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unifying_Force
    Makes one less prone to temptation from the Dark Side. And of course, gives a wider perspective to see the big picture.

I would really like to point out that this kind of Jedi is NOT fueled by aggression. Due to their line of work, they cross path with darksiders more often. They are calculated and cool-headed pragmatists. They don't only bash, they trick.

So yes, this is what I had in mind. Sorry if my first post came off as me wanting to smother and smear Inquisitors. I mean, I do ^____^ but I don't intend to have Tionne actively roam the galaxy in search of a deathmatch.

Eragon_Dushall
    Wow you really tore me a new one... I kinda liked it. ;-)

Anyways... my main point was that any Jedi can investigate. But that the Shadows are something completely different that not all Jedi would be capable of.

And just because you like to be bad doesn't mean that every Jedi would end up corrupt if they infiltrate a sith group. There was a Jedi in the Clone Wars that did that and he didn't end up too bad. Cant find his name though... at work and all that.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

*bump*

So - conclusion?

I'd like to start stirring my character that way, if everyone agrees.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    As it stands, I see absolutely no reason why you should hesitate any longer before implementing this into Tionne's story - it suits her down to the ground! However, I don't see any reason to give the role a special name, or turn into another sub-division of Jedi, or add any other unneccessary bells or whistles onto it, it is what it is. Definitions and stipulations just make things needlessly complicated and you'll only end up waiting even longer while we all debate every little detail. If anything, I'd say it's just an extension of the Jedi Sentinel class and leave it at that.

Let's say Tionne just approaches the council about her role, and is given the power to recruit other Jedi into her team(pending the approval of the council), suitable characters who are fit to go on these kinds of missions. And if it's that important, you guys can always come up with a suitable name for the team at a later date but for now I'd just enjoy roleplaying it out, personally.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I agree with you, Droo. I'll approach the council with the idea, once the Council is actually formed IC.

Drin Kizael
    Let's just say it is. If we wait for the thread to progress to that point, it will never happen. As much as I'd love to actually play things out before jumping ahead, don't let us hold you up. We already assumed it for one thread already anyway.

The 3 voting leaders are Drin, Daria, and Navaria. Solomon is our mediator. He's there to keep debates on targets to prevent us from going in endless circles like the old Council always seemed to do. Loki is not technically on the council, but he's an advocate of sorts. He's there to be a point of contact for Jedi to reach us if we're not accessible and to let us know about issues that arise.

Corell Capstan
    You should just go ahead with this IC, like Drin said.

Jason Na'moda
    Yo! Might be late in but I wholly support this sorta thing. Go all X-Force, it's epic. I'll also sign Jason up for it, he's a warrior through and through, and has a mission to find and destroy any Sith he comes across.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Baby.. I may be blind but what I lack in sight I make up for in sensuality ;)

AKA
    Jenny
    I think with Tionne being away this idea has been a little quiet.

Jason Na'moda
    We should wake it up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123