Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Random Gaming News and Discussions

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    So they support used games, demand no online connection, and for $399? That's game, set, and match. Sony have just helped a large percentage of the gaming community decide which next gen console they want, and rightly so. Also, I really appreciated Sony's emphasis on indie games for the PS4, it really helped sell it as the gamer's games console. Highlights of the day for me have been the footage of Watchdogs, Destiny, and Tom Clancy's The Division. I'm not a console gamer anymore, but some of the console-exclusive stuff I saw had me tempted.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    Yeah it seems really lilke Sony and Microsoft reversed their positions from last gen. Now Microsoft is trying to sell us an entertainement device and Sony is cheaper and tries to be more hardcore.

I think the $100 diverence will not really make the difference like the 599 and 399 difference between Xbox360 and PS3 at launch. Since every Xbox comes with Kinect but not every PS4 comes with a motion sensor the real price difference is than a lot smaller if you were going to buy the new kinect anyway.

In the end it will come down to games and your friends. Somehow I do not see all the Call of Duty players on Xbox changing camps to Sony where they would have to create new profiles(with Real Names???) and find new people to play with.

Sony really showed player support here and I wonder how the publishers will react to this. The question is if that will mean more exclusive titles for Microsoft in the long run?

But I guess MS will have to eventually abandon its reselling plans although that means that people like me who never buy used games and love the idea that you will never not have to put the disc back into the console after installing it once.

I think the thing that bugs me about Microsoft is that it's getting closer and closer to PC gaming with each iteration. First it was hard drive storage, then online community and netflix and such, and now online is essential, there's one time installation...

I already have an xbox controller for my PC. Aside from the Kinect, a little convenience, and exclusive titles like Halo... would people not be better off spending 400-600 upgrading to a gaming PC? Seems like everything is converging in that direction.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I want this game sooo much:

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

If I'm in a financial position to get one of the new consoles, I've no doubt it'll be a PS4 after Monday's reveals and footage. Since the PSX I've been a Sony fan. Fond memories of sitting in the kitchen with my grandads portable telly on the breakfast bar next to my Playstation console, a box of cookies and good old Tomb Raider 2 and Crash Bandicoot!

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

I just read an intresting blogpost that defended MS DRM policy for the first time in a way it actually makes sense. It all comes down to one sentence:

WHAT IF MICROSOFT IS AFRAID OF THE STEAM BOX?

Steam basically has got nearly the same DRM rules like the XBox ONE and once the Steam Box finally joins the next Gen Battle. They would have to compete with Steam sales. Think about it: Publishers love Steam because you can not resell games you bought on Steam. That is why PC gaming has become so cheap during last generation and this is why Gamestop makes no money with trade in PC games. Nobody on the PC complains about Steams DRM anymore so once the Steam Box comes out no one will expect them to do offline distribution as well.

This all makes more sense if you keep in mind that this is happening on the handheld market as well right now:
    The handhelds from Nintendo and Sony have to compete against Smartphones that receive their games from the cloud and can't be resold as well. The PS Vita and 3DS can not really compete with the Android and IOS devices with their current business model.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

"We've banned the names Edward and Bella."
    - Chris McDonough, CCP, on one of the few confirmed things in the World of Darkness MMO.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

^^Were you going to buy a Xbox One in the first place Droo?

Actually this whole change destroys me and Charley's godfather family plot!

To be fair if Sony came up with a 24h check in rule I would be less worried that I would check in not often enough I would be worried that PSN might not be there to accecpt my check in. I have not forgotten about the PSN downtime from last year and yesterday's "please avoid our firmware update".

The thing is Microsoft tried too hard being Valve by using their system but adding a trade in system that was too hard to communicate.

I still think that Xbox as a brand is still closer to my vision what gaming, multiplayer and multimedia entertainement is about than Sony. I use my Xbox for TV, TV (no Sports) and no Call of Duty but certainly Destiny, Titanfall and whatever Ubisoft does.

I like Smart Glass, I think their controller is closer to what gamers really want than for example the WiiU one and I think no one ever asked for a share button on a gamepad. The Idea of cloud processing sounds like a great idea from my perspective.

I trust in MS vision for Xbox Live since the service is still the best one you can have maybe next to Valve's Steam. Maybe Sony's new streaming purchase will help them to catch up in this department but I highly doubt that this will affect us in europe any time soon.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ^^Were you going to buy a Xbox One in the first place Droo?
    I followed E3 with the mindset that one of these consoles was a real possibility for me based on the strength of the catalogue of exclusive games they boast (unavailable on PC). If I were to make a choice, it's quite an obvious one to make, based on what I've seen. I now refuse to buy anything from Microsoft anymore, including Windows, and no, that is not just because of the Xbone debacle. They seem to have a genuinely resentful attitude towards the consumer. The thing that stops me from putting my money where my mouth is that I too remember the PSN disaster and I'm hesitant to buy the PS4 until I can be sure the network is in order. For now, I'll just remain a proud member of the PC master race!

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    I too remember the PSN disaster and I'm hesitant to buy the PS4 until I can be sure the network is in order. For now, I'll just remain a proud member of the PC master race!
    So we are actually more on the same page than I assumed. I like the Xbox One Game Catalogue so far but there is no game here that is a system seller and I have not seen the PS4 one last week. Right now I just regret that I do not have a PS3 because of Last of Us and Two Souls.

Destiny sounds badass but that is a multi platform title.

I guess I will buy my next system after E3 next year. The internet forgets fast. So the whole landscape could look completly different next year.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

I agree, the war of the consoles won't be decided by pre-orders or Day One sales, there's no doubt about that. It's a marathon, not a sprint; time, performance, and exclusives will decide which one comes out on top in the end. I just think that, this time around, Sony have a head start.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Just been playing BroForce - a game currently in Alpha and looking for love on Steam Greenlight.

Check out the very polished Alpha here. You can play in browser or download the .exe file.

It's a platformer filled with over-the-top action and violence as iconic Hollywood hardmen go up against nameless, numberless terrorists in a love letter to the action movies of the 80's and 90's. With similar gameplay to Metal Slug and pixellated "retro" visuals, there's a lot of charm here, as well as killer music and sound effects. So far I've learned of the following playable characters:

• Rambro
    • Ba Broracus
    • Brommando
    • Bro Hard
    • Brodell Walker
    • Brade
    • Bro Dredd
    • Macbrover
    • Snake Broskin
    • Indianna Brones
    • Brominator
    • Bro in Black
    • Robrocop

I also believe there's be vehicular combat in the final release.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

The word fanboy annoys the fuck out of me. I'm guilty of using it in the past but I'm doing away with it. It's very easy for people to call others a fanboy just for simply liking something that they don't. Just been reading a discussion on the Steam community about someone who initially didn't like the look of Saints Row 4 - they mentioned being suspended from the Bungie forums for speaking out against Halo Reach, stating that there were loads of people who disagreed with him, namely "blinded fanboys". I got really annoyed when I read that. Just because he didn't like the game and found plenty at fault with it, he reduced the people who really liked the game to "blinded fanboys" instead of what they really were - people who had played the game and seen it with their all-seeing perfectly-fuctional eyes and thought "Fuck yeah, this game rocks!"

Everyone is a fanboy of at least something. If you like something, guess what? You're a fanboy of that thing! If someone likes something you don't like, they're a fanboy of it and you're not. It has a very negative connotation and is used far too commonly in that context. I feel it's something that should be done away with! I'm boycotting the word! It's a very belittling, dismissive thing to say in an attempt to try and disregard something someone says about something you may not like or be interested in yourself.

There was an article I read yesterday about Greatest Video Game characters and Solid Snake was in there somewhere, not the Top Ten. Someone posted a very self-righteous response saying it was fact, not opinion, that Snake was the best and should be number one. To read it, you'd think the guy was really worked up and it felt like a serious opinion rather than a joke. Maybe it was, I'll never know. But at that point I was thinking "Fanboy" as much as I consider myself a Snake fan. There are people out there who you could say deserve that kind of labelling for the sheer ridiculousness of their views, but it's often seen as an all-encompassing term to refer to a group of people who likely aren't all as blindly loyal and narrow-minded as the likes of that guy I mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if Michael Bay called everyone who hated his idea for the new TMNT movie (a la aliens) "fanboys". In that case, I wouldn't say we all ARE fanboys, but rather he most certainly is not. He's the one deserving of the name-calling

By all means, love your favourite things, tell people how much you love them. But at least acknowledge other people's opinions about those very things and be considerate about their own. Don't be so closed off. Don't dismiss another persons views in an effort to assert your own no matter how superior you may think you are. You're only denying yourself the possibility of finding something new to love. And if you find out you don't love it - just agree to disagree without making a twat of yourself and starting a flame war.

I've kinda rambled on a bit there but I wanted to get it off my chest and see what you lot think of the who situation. Us modern, film-loving, game-playing, jacked-in internet types are an extremely passionate bunch of bastards and the discussions and diverse opinions are great. But there's lots of nobheads out there who spit their dummy out at the first sign of a disagreement and I just want to say to them "Hey mate, relax. You're on the internet - there's almost 2.5 Billion people hanging out on here! Chances are someone somewhere will disagree with you. Just try not to call them a dickhead when they do...

...unless they call you one first"

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

WOW I bought 4 games in the Xbox Summer Sale already:

Witcher 2
    The Orange Box
    Hitman Absolution
    Tomb Raider 2013

Star Wars: Battlefront Teaser Trailer and release window announcement:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...rs-battlefront

EA has handed the project to their DICE studio, which makes me extremely happy because they've done good work with Battlefield.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Tom Clancy's The Divison is now confirmed for PC! Fuck yeah!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Event Kickstarter - The Repopulation (sci-fi sandbox MMO a-la SW Galaxies/Ultima Online)

There's currently a Kickstarter for a sci-fi sandbox MMO called The Repopulation - harking back to the freeform gameplay of Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online where social aspects were much stronger and non-combat gameplay could be focused on as a primary activity and not as a way to enhance your combat role.

With almost $45,000 in the bank, they're not far from being funded at 23 days to go. So you may not want/need to pledge any money but if you are tempted, take a look at the stretch goals to help decide if you want to aid their progress.

In today's gaming world of themepark MMO's it's quite exciting to see something so open and malleable.

TheHolo.Net Poster

He has taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like his father, and his father before him...

AKA
    Droo

Titanfall! My body is ready!

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

I really like the Valve Controller. This could be the true console war winner unlike kinect!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678