Thread: ? to you automovilistic enthusiasts out there

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios

Question ? to you automovilistic enthusiasts out there

So, I've noticed there are quite a few car people in here that can probably help me with this dilemma.

We just took in our car for an oil change and a yearly inspection, everything was fine and dandy except the tires, which we were told we would need to replace soon.

Rather than waiting last minute and until the tires are in their last threads, we've been doing some shopping around and I've managed to narrow it down to the quotes below.

Yokohama Avid TRZ $486.94
    Pirelli P5 $551.48
    Michelin Destiny $619.48
    BF Goodrich Advance TA $565.12
    Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S $620.78

Considering I really don't really know much about cars, I turn to you car lovers out there, and pose the question: which tires should I get?

The vehicle in question is an '02 Toyota Camry XLE and the driving conditions pretty much change all year round. Cold, snowy and icy in the winter; pretty dry and mild during fall; hot, humid and rainy in the summer, you know, your typical Minnesota weather.

Oh, another question I had is regarding the so called lifetime warranty of the tires, which is included in the prices above: do I need such thing? Yeah it sucks when you get a flat tire, etc., but is this something worth paying for? If I decide against it, the prizes come down about $40 bucks per quote.

Perhaps one other thing to consider is that the Michelin tires are offering a $70 rebate when buying a set of four tires, so I could potentially get back seventy bucks from Bibendum if I buy any of the Michelin wheels.

So whatcha think, you grease monkeys out there?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Im in the same boat. Dealership even told me about the Michelin deal. My dealership will also install and balance for free if I buy 4 tires from them.

Although I'm thinking pre-owned all season tires are the way to go. If you look around you can usually find brand new tires barely used. For like 1/4rth the price of new ones. Some places even guarantee life time warrantees on them for free.

As for what you should get... I'm gonna leave that up to the bigger car enthusiasts.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios
    I had heard about the used ones. I did a bit of looking too and it's mostly private sellers, so no one to yell at if something goes wrong

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Do not buy pre-owned tires unless you're using them for non-road purposes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....73WR0RE960PPXL

Are what I'm running on my Subaru WRX wagon. They're impressive in just about anything, but won't stand up to a dedicated snow. IMO they're the best all-season per dollar on the market.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post

Although I'm thinking pre-owned all season tires are the way to go. If you look around you can usually find brand new tires barely used. For like 1/4rth the price of new ones. Some places even guarantee life time warrantees on them for free.
    No, Do NOT use second hand tyres. You do not what has happened to them and frankly tyres are THE thing you just do not stuff around with.

Also with warranties - not worth it. Basically there is no guarnettee of tyre life - all I've ever has was the standard fitting warranty, which pretty much says in the first 2000 km if they were fitted wrong or there's a defect, they get replaced.

All season tyres just do not exist here in Ausssieland so I cant comment on whats best. Generally, Michelin or Yokohama have served me well. I have a set of Yokohama rally tyres if that's any help

SW-Fans.Net Poster

If you plan on driving in snow and icy road conditions get winter tires, they'll save your life. All seasons are good for just about everything else mother nature throws at you.

As for what sets to purchase do some independent research, find reviews, customer comments, even test vids. You might even consider some sets you've dropped off your list.