Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Antebellum

Parsideon Denix
    At this, Denix hesitated. While many were inclined to seek oracles on the foreshadowing of the future, it was known that attempting to cheat an ill omen was the ruin of many a man, and many more grew mad in the anticipation of such terrors.

"I'm not sure if I should venture. The future will soon become the present, and only then will I have any say in it."

She turned somewhat to look over her shoulder at him. It was a strange thing to see him hesitate; many men often begged her to tell them of Denetion's future wills, and Denix' cautiousness caused a smile to form on her lips.

"It is nothing so definite and singular to you. But you must be prepared for what will be asked of you, and my father desires me to help you along your new path."

The young Glaucan shifted her eyes to Ariadne momentarily, then unfolded one hand from her robes and extended it out to the Imperator.

"If you wish for privacy, Fyrian will leave."

Parsideon Denix
    Denix looked to Ariadne and slowly nodded.

"I wish it."

He turned again to the little conduit of Denetion, unsure exactly what to make of this bizarre turn of events.

A nod to Ariadne, and the elder Glaucan gave a slight bow to both, retreating back the way they'd come. Erifa knew that her guardian would perhaps question her, but if Denix wished for such privacy, then what transpired during the coming time would remain his alone.

With Ariadne gone, and only the two of them left standing in the hall, Erifa took his hand. She lead him quietly deeper into the villa, and finally into a darkened room that she had chosen as her own when it became apparent that Ariadne held no intentions of leaving the Satrap. And wherever Ariadne chose to be, so to did Erifa.

Her free hand passed before her then, and a soft glow began to fill the small room. It came from the several small basins that lined each wall in regular intervals, each filled with water that, at her command, came to life in hues of gentle blues and whites. And in the centre of it all rested a pool of serene water, also giving off illumination as the water-lamps did. No other decoration could be seen, and it was as if it was simply an empty, unused room towards the back of the villa.

This was her sanctuary; simple and sparse, yet comforting and inviting to all despite whichever affinities they kept.

Parsideon Denix
    Denix said nothing, deferring to the gifted child and waiting intently for her to commune with Denetion. She obviously had something important to show him, and he would be patient to let it be revealed in due course.

Erifa moved to sit, motioning for Denix to do the same. Her bare feet she dipped into the still waters of the pool, letting the coolness envelope her entirety.

"I was on the Chiron, during my father's storm. I remember your fleet fast behind. Through the water between us I could hear your orders and your curses."

She reached forward to pass a finger just over the top of the water, and though it made no contact, ripples still followed her motions.

"Kariun believed the storm had been sent against you, but I knew better. In stealing the Lantern, Kariun showed great insult to Igneon Lux, and in doing so brought shame to Denetion. The storm was for the Fold. That you and your men were taken up as well... "

A pause, as she seemed to think on the next words she had been given to pass on.

"My father wishes to express his sorrow at your loss, but it was necessary. Your eyes are now opened to the greater powers that awake from beyond your normal perceptions, and the changes that, even now, are sweeping across Asga."

Parsideon Denix
    "Changes?"

Denix questioned, curious at the meaning. He thought back about that fateful end of the chase, and of the hurricane that could not be quelled.

Her fingers lifted from the water, bringing with them a small swirling pillar of liquid. She glanced sidelong at him.

"I know my great father has allowed you to see many strange sights in your time away, but even on your return you continue to bear witness to that which is uncommon and unheard of. When did you last see a Northern giant in Demos? Or any of the Fyrian blood living in the house of a Necian Satrap? And did you know, that a single Mer absorbed the Lantern's power? These are things that do no happen every day; indeed, they are things that do not even happen for centuries upon centuries."

Parsideon Denix
    Denix remembered the Glaucan water mage's failure to still the waters around them.

"You are saying there is a disturbance in the affinities themselves?"

She nodded.

"It was only made worse by Kariun's theft, and though the Lantern is once more returned to Necia, the imbalance is far too great. The ripples are spreading outward, coalescing into Necia casting herself in two directions to battle two foes."

Parsideon Denix
    "On the journey through Asga, I met other companions who shared this view."

Denix thought back of the mysterious black-shrouded traveller, as well as the foreign travellers. One, a blind seer from Dalriada, another a Fian woodshaper, and another still a fire mage from Ankarizad.

"There was a woman named Molly, also a far-travelled follower of Denetion, who told of trouble within the affinities."

This bit of news gave her a sort of comfort.

"Then others across the continent know. That is most heartening. Even with Necia fighting on two fronts, it will be a great boon that other parts of the whole seek to realign the balance."

Her hand grew still then, as did the small water-pillar she'd conjured.

"There will come a point in all of this when you must make a choice. Your honor and loyalty have proven your worth to Denetion, and he does not place his trust lightly; especially during such times as these. Trust what you know within your soul to be the truth, and not what you may simply see or hear. Those can be deceived easily, but your mind's eye cannot. Let what you've experienced so far be your guide and you will be assured in all you do."

Parsideon Denix
    Denix frowned.

"What sort of choice?"

It was sounding more and more that the issue of his continuation as Imperator was already decided.

A cryptic smile, and she released her hold on the water so that it fell back into the pool.

"The choice to do what is right. No one, not even I know when this will be, but when the time comes, you will."

Erifa stared long at him, trying to pick apart his thoughts, but if she held any guesses at them she kept quiet. He had much to ponder, and she knew that their time was nearing its' end.

Presently she inclined her head.

"If you wish, I can show you your wife and child in the waters so that you may watch over them until the Satrap returns."

Parsideon Denix
    A small smile and Denix shook his head.

"Seeing them before I could do the same in the flesh would be too much to bear. I've waited this long, and I will wait another day. I thank you for the kindness."

An understanding nod, and the girl carefully rose to her feet.

"Then let us rejoin Fyrian, and perhaps conversation can be found that is absent of any ill disposition."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234