Thread: Warcraft: The Beginning

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo

Movies Warcraft: The Beginning

Confirmed here. This has been in the pipeline for a few years now and should come as no surprise given the success of World of Warcraft but before we roll our eyes, we should take note that Legendary Pictures are behind the production of it and they've been responsible for both Chris Nolan Batman films, Superman Returns and are releasing Clash of the Titans next year. They like their big budget blockbusters and with Raimi onboard I have a sense of relief that they're taking it seriously with the intention of releasing a quality film and not a cinematic cash cow.

Let the dream-casting begin!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

Ron Perlman as Thrall (if he's even featured' - though I can't imagine a Warcraft story that doesn't feature him, he's one of the most important characters in the lore after Medivh). Seeing a live-action version of the scene in Warcraft 3 where Grom and Thrall confront Mannoroth would be absolutely brilliant. Doomhammer ftw! (even though Mannoroth deflects it )

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I wonder which period in Warcraft Lore they will be covering. There is the potential to make a meaty trilogy out of this, given how detailed all the backstory of each race/faction is.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Things change of course, but if I recall correctly, Chris Metzen stated back when this project was first announced that the movie story was going to take place about a year before the beginning of the World of Warcraft timeline. That would place it between the end of the Warcraft III expansion and the beginning of vanilla WoW. I vaguely remember something about being a prelude to the state of open war that essentially exists in WoW.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Heres the conversation Fig touched on.

Go GO Chris Metzen!!

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    If they ever cover the Lich King story arc, then who would be best suited to play the role of Lich King Arthas? I had Sean Connery in mind for the possible role.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Connery is kind of.. old for Arthas.

David Wenham comes to mind for me, or maybe Karl Urban. On looks alone, Travis Fimmel perhaps.. I'm not sure of his acting chops though.

..Brad Pitt in Troy has a bit of an Arthas look about him as well.

At this point, it's kinda like... I dunno. I almost wish they wouldn't because the story in the games is so in-depth. I doubt a movie would do it justice in the right ways.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

I think we could all agree on rather see'ing an epic hour long 'CG cinematic' done by blizzard. Instead of a live action thinger.

Could you imagine? *drool*

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    I think we could all agree on rather see'ing an epic hour long 'CG cinematic' done by blizzard. Instead of a live action thinger.

Could you imagine? *drool*

I personally would have preferred that to a live-action film as well. For all of the emphasis being put on the idea of making a movie that "feels like a real world," part of the charm of the Warcraft series, and WoW in particular, is it's high fantasy world roots. Don't get me wrong... live action worked fantastically for the Lord of the Rings... I just don't think it's the best option for a Warcraft movie.

There's actually some extremely well done WoW-based fan films, and that is just from in-game footage, not cinematic quality.

Well see how this project goes. Blizzard has a great track record, but this is completely new territory for them.

Darth Phantom
    I love Evil Dead 1 and 2, and one of my favorite movies is Army of Darkness, but Raimi has lost my respect with his recent works. All of the Spider Man movies were terrible, as were each of his films since Army of Darkness.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

I enjoyed Drag me to Hell too.

Darth Phantom
    It was decent, I'll give him that, but far under par for him. I know he can do a lot better, I think Spider Man just dragged him down.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    *uses Scroll of Resurrection on this thread*

I just got back from seeing the Warcraft movie! 7 years after this thread was originally posted

It was... pretty dumb. Lots of zipping between familiar locations and making little nods to existing lore. Not so much in the way of character development or any real sense of danger / consequences. That being said, I can't say that it was boring or that I didn't enjoy it a little, but I think that might be the film tapping into some of my nostalgia for and knowledge of the Warcraft world, rather than anything else.

Good luck to anyone seeing this who hasn't played a game in the Warcraft series! I'd be interested to know what you did or didn't like / understand about it all.

I wasn't disappointed with the movie, but it certainly wasn't the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. I do think they may have tried to put too much into the story, but with all those involved I can understand. Many first movies like this have to cater to the part of the audience that may not know anything about the world or storyline.