SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    HA!

Oh yeah - that's what gave me freakazoid chills as a child.

mmmeeeeemmmmooorrries...

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Season pilot airs 3rd of November on ABC 8 pm EST.

Here are the 8 first minutes:

Also Syfy (Sci Fi channel) will do a marathon of the original series starting on sunday leading up to the premiere of the new series:

Quote Originally Posted by VisitorSite.net
    Sunday, November 1
    1PM-5PM V: The Original Miniseries
    5PM-11PM V: The Final Battle
    11PM-3AM V: The Original Miniseries

Monday, November 2
    8AM-7PM Syfy will be showing V all day. We're assuming this will be comprised of episodes of the original series.

Tuesday, November 3
    8AM-4PM Again, Syfy is doing a marathon that we assume is made up of episodes of the original weekly series.
    4PM-8PM V: The Original Miniseries - Then catch the premiere of V on ABC at 8:00!
    I also really enjoyed listening to the previous works of Marco Beltrami, who is the musical composer of the new V series. He has an intense dramatic style that fits a horror Sci Fi show perfectly. This puts to rest my concerns about that "jazzy" music heard at the end credits of that 8 minute pilot preview. I am guessing it is probably not part of the actual sound track.

Marco Beltrami music resume:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-EY4kJkAgo

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

I found out this is being filmed next door to where my brother works in a big warehouse/studio in Vancouver. I thought that was pretty neat.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I heard they're only airing 4 episodes now, and the 'rest' after the Winter Olympics. And that ABC might decide to make it a miniseries instead of a series, which would be .

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Seriously, what is with American television networks not knowing how to air a show? Look at how they butcher shows like Firefly. In fact, this kind of poor handling is more noticeable with sci-fi programmes in general. You'd think that after the success of the new Star Trek film and Battlestar Galactica studio executives would feel comfortable enough to leave well alone until at least an entire first season has aired before tampering or pulling the plug.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I don't know, but its really annoying.

Marco Beltrami's score for Hellboy is wonderful, I'm looking forward to hearing more of his work.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

There are now additional sneak peeks for the pilot episode available here, they are small enough to not really spoil anything.

You now also have the opportunity to become a Peace Ambassador to learn about our new friends, and become symbol of hope for others, and discover the great possibilities that lies ahead in the interest of peace, balance and harmony..

My favorite by far though, is the catchy promo video with music by Muse.

Let the Revolution Take its toll!
    Muse - Uprising
    The paranoia is in bloom, the PR
    The transmissions will resume
    They'll try to push drugs
    Keep us all dumbed down and hope that
    We will never see the truth around
    (So come on!)

Another promise, another scene, another
    A package not to keep us trapped in greed
    With all the green belts wrapped around our minds
    And endless red tape to keep the truth confined
    (So come on!)

Chorus
    They will not force us
    They will stop degrading us
    They will not control us
    We will be victorious

Interchanging mind control
    Come let the revolution take its toll if you could
    Flick the switch and open your third eye, you'd see that
    We should never be afraid to die
    (So come on!)

Rise up and take the power back, it's time that
    The fat cats had a heart attack, you know that
    Their time is coming to an end
    We have to unify and watch our flag ascend

Chorus
    They will not force us
    They will stop degrading us
    They will not control us
    We will be victorious

Hey .. hey ... hey .. hey!
    (repeat)

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Seriously, what is with American television networks not knowing how to air a show? Look at how they butcher shows like Firefly. In fact, this kind of poor handling is more noticeable with sci-fi programmes in general. You'd think that after the success of the new Star Trek film and Battlestar Galactica studio executives would feel comfortable enough to leave well alone until at least an entire first season has aired before tampering or pulling the plug.
    I totally agree. But it is important to note that for the big American networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox), it all boils to one thing, and one thing only: ratings. Big ratings means advertising money. Advertising money is the lifeblood of the networks.

BSG actually only had about 2.4M in rating at best, believe it or not. Now, that may be a great number for Sci Fi channel, but if it were running on one of the major networks, those sort of numbers would have led to cancellation before even the first season was complete.

As a comparison, the season opening of Sarah Connor Chronicles premiered at 18.6M rating with 11.4 season average, before it dropped to 4.64 average in season 2. By the end of show, the ratings had dropped to about 3 or so, and Fox pulled the plug. Firefly had a 4.7M average. These are the kind of numbers V can't afford to have.

The Sci Fi niche has a terrible track record rating wise on TV, worse than any other TV drama niche. Those few TV drama shows with a 'sci fi angle' that did great (Lost, Heroes, True Blood), they pale in ratings compared to reality shows such as American Idol. Flash Forward opened strong, but is already starting to drop in ratings. Once you add the factors of aliens and space ships, the statistics are even worse. It is very risky for a network to run a Sci Fi show in prime time.

In the 80s, V was the best rated show on NBC for more than 2 years. It was a sci fi show with mainstream appeal. This new show is the 3rd most anticipated show of the fall season, and the critics loves the pilot episode. Now, ABC are marketing V like crazy with all these TV spots. They even have the audacity to run the show up against NCIS, which is the highest rated TV drama with more than 20 million viewers. It's crash or burn for V. It's a high risk gamble. With 4 episodes, they can test the waters, and adjust the budget accordingly.

My feeling is, for an expensive show as V, it is going to need 10M+ viewers on average to stay afloat. Then, more seasons can be ordered. If it reaches 20M, it is an earth shattering success. If it is around the 5M mark, it is going to be canceled very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I heard they're only airing 4 episodes now, and the 'rest' after the Winter Olympics. And that ABC might decide to make it a miniseries instead of a series, which would be .
    There are a lot of rumors and speculation about this, including possible script issues. This is the 'official' story, however:

Executive producer Steve Pearlman, meanwhile, explained why ABC will air only four episodes before taking a long break and return to air the balance of the first season's 13 episodes in March.

"From the very beginning, there was going to be a break," Pearlman said on the show's set in Vancouver, Canada. "We were planned originally to be on starting in November, and then we were going to be off the air for about six or seven weeks and then come back on the air in January. And I think ... everybody kind of realized that that would put us up against American Idol ... plus the Olympics."

To avoid competition from those two shows, ABC opted instead to keep the show off the air until March. The show will play out in four-episode chapters, Pearlman added. "These [first] four episodes now have been designed very carefully [that this is] basically the first three weeks of the Visitors being here. ... Episodes one, two and three following the pilot, the story ... becomes much more about: There is no normal anymore, which is the title of the [second] episode."

The fourth episode is slated to air on Nov. 24, Pearlman said. "There are quite a few cliffhanger moments for many of our characters in that episode, and things that hopefully will be big enough events and the viewers will be hooked into these characters enough that the viewers will want to come back and see what happens to them in March." V kicks off on Nov. 3 at 8 p.m. ET/PT."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Your points about the ratings makes pefect sense, except I have one problem: the viewing public en masse have absolutely no taste whatsoever. Why should I suffer for their poor judgement?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Your points about the ratings makes pefect sense, except I have one problem: the viewing public en masse have absolutely no taste whatsoever. Why should I suffer for their poor judgement?
    Why should I have to suffer your appalling bad baste?

Not that I like the utter tripe on TV, but point taken? If it doesnt rate, it dies. And I have seen nothing in this new V that I give a shit about - the original was in reality godawful.

They *mihgt* pull a BSG and it's awesome, but I doubt it.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    Season pilot airs 3rd of November on ABC 8 pm EST.

Here are the 8 first minutes:

BOOOOOOOORIIIINGGGGGGG

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Turbogeek View Post
    Why should I have to suffer your appalling bad baste?
    There are two universal constants in life: we will die, and my taste is infallable!

Those yet to yield to this inevitable truth simply haven't known me long enough to appreciate my sublime taste. But fear not, it is merely a matter of time.

Well ABC is marketing the hell out of it, and I think it will do great rating wise at least the first few episodes. Not sure if it is a great idea to keep it on Tuesdays at 8 when American Idol comes back.

The reviews I've seen so far have been pretty positive.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    This puts to rest my concerns about that "jazzy" music heard at the end credits of that 8 minute pilot preview.
    I had to turn it off. Not that it was bad, but so did not fit the mood.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Just reminding you with Syfy channel, the V marathon started now.

Yeah I am watching it right now.The first miniseries was great. You have to love the symbolism to the Nazis and the rise of a fascism state.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Season opening tonight at 8 pm EST! Not many hours left now..

Last nights promo video:

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Ireland are getting this on Thursday. The rest of the UK has to wait until "early 2010". Yeah, nice one...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast