Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: A Memorable Evening

Yeart Quenn
    Guests kept on arriving, joining the crowd, meeting and greeting with much bowing and heel-snapping amongst the men, and showing of teeth and politely simpering amongst the women. The more famous were received by the less famous with undisguised fawning-over, their pasty smiles still reminiscent of the envious scathing whispers passed to and fro behind hands raised to their lips. It was all so fake.

Refreshing, in a way. Maybe he should allow parties like this amongst the Kuati nobility again, things were getting a bit stale at home.

Of course he was bored out of his brain. Having found a quiet alcove on the gallery overlooking the big hall early on, he'd retreated to it with a full bottle of champagne he'd demanded from one of the servers, and helped himself to some of the thin t'bac sticks he'd taken to carrying around with him ever since the Cayan Club incident.

He had absolutely no interest in talking to the majority of people there. Maybe one or two he would pick out, and approach them at a later point that night, when people had tired of the novelty of this event and weren't as eager as hyenax to approach anyone in sight. But until then he intended to stay where he was, and enjoy the view of the hall - and the magnificent view of the skyline of Coruscant, as could be seen from the large window in the alcove. The window could be opened, and he had taken to leaning out of it while smoking his sticks, being fairly certain that it was something frowned upon amongst the crowd below.

"Master, you asked me to tell you...?" the voice came from behind him just as he was enjoying his 7th stick of the evening. He turned his head to acknowledge the telbun standing there, but didn't move otherwise. "You asked to be informed when Minister Tagge would arrive."

There was something in her voice that he didn't quite like. Something that irritated him. Couldn't the woman ever just give him a straightforward answer?!? Obviously Sanya Tagge had arrived - why not just say so instead of dancing around the point? He lifted an annoyed eyebrow. "Well...?"

"She just did."

The telbun's voice had dropped in volume, barely discernable above the din from below. What was with the woman?!? He turned to give her the full benefit of his annoyance with her, but to his surprise found that she was looking miserable already. In fact ... she seemed to be unwell, on second glance. Considering himself incredibly noble for doing so, he stepped forward and patted her shoulder, adding "Go get some fresh air - I don't need you for this evening anymore."

She feebly nodded to that, and turned to walk off. He followed her disappearing back with his eyes until she'd vanished down the stairs, then stepped forward to the banisters and looking down to check for the familiar face of Sanya Tagge.

Five minutes later, the Minister of Truth felt a cool hand on her shoulder, and someone drawling from behind her: "Sanya, Sanya, Sanya.... seems fate has thrown us together again, eh?"

Roger Phillips
    Roger certainly hadn't expected to be interrupted on his way to get a drink, but on a night like tonight he certainly had the wit to expect the unexpected. "Certainly, Mr Kazaar," he replied to the other's request. "Give me just a moment."

It took him a moment to locate the familiar head of his employer among the crowds, and another minute or so to politely avoid his way through the crowd to Jason the Younger's side. The other looked at the lovely blonde in front of him with a certain sad astonishment, and Roger found himself reluctant to interrupt. It needed to be done, however.

"Mr Russard," he said quietly into the other's ear, cupping a hand in front of his mouth so as not to let anything drift over to other nearby guests. "You're wanted on the balcony. Mr Kazaar would like to speak to you."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

It had been some time since Travis last attended a social event with high society types. The whole idea of rubbing shoulders with the rich to get ahead was always something he found to be a waste of time. If you want something you should just go ahead and take it. If someone opposes you throw back a challenge. That’s how it worked on the battlefield, and it worked well in most other situations. Still, there were those times when a few words did a better job than a blaster bolt, those very rare times.

He enjoyed the pleasant silence for the remainder of his speeder ride, knowing that for the rest of the evening there would be the buzz of the crowd in his ears. Space me now.

The vehicle pulled up to the estate and joined the parade up to the estate’s main entrance. Travis took those last minutes to adjust his appearance. He patted down the accolades on his chest and adjusted the lanyard over his right shoulder. It filled him with great pride to adorn his dress uniform, it spoke more about him than he even felt comfortable with. Each display piece of it had come at a cost of life, which truly gave them value, in addition to a haunting memory of war and the life he lived in service to the Empire.

The speeder finally came to a halt and the door at Travis’ side was opened for him. For a brief instant he was reluctant to step out, a cold chill struck his soul, and left him with a sense that not all was at it should be. Most times that feeling came warning of a danger on the battlefield he hadn’t anticipated. Alert now, he made himself more aware of what was happening around him. This evening wasn’t to be a simple cruise; events would be set in motion that would have a significant impact in his life. He firmly planted a boot on the ground and stepped out from the vehicle taking in a deep breath. The air was crisp, refreshing, and eased the tension he felt ever so slightly. He turned back to the open door and withdrew the final ornamental piece that completed his attire: a uniform sword. There, not completely defenseless, just outgunned. He cinched up the belt around his waist and adjusted the hilt so it rested comfortably at his side. Ready for the evening he stepped forward to enter the estate.

After presenting his invitation, and passing the security check with sword still by his side, he made his way into the Grand Hall. The amount of people present was more than he’d envisioned, but it made getting lost in the crowd a whole lot easier. Just try not to step on anyone’s toes.

Jason Russard
    "Who?" Jason pulled his attention reluctantly from Adelaide, to place it upon Roger, "What?"

Roger repeated himself patiently, smiling politely to effect the impression nothing was amiss, only some minor detail that needed Russard's attention. Jason looked at the young man a moment, wondering by the forced smile if Roger had been in the Schnapps, but then immediately realised his purpose for such deflection - Getar V'al Counis was almost upon them.

Jason directed quickly, yet discreetly, that Roger see to Mr Kazaar himself for the moment. Aurelias most-likely wanted to punch Jason in the nose again, and that was something that could wait.

"Getar!" Jason greeted the Counis Corp CEO with an outstretched hand, steering him to his left and away from Roger and Adelaide, whom even Jason could see was glad of the chance to avoid a conversation with him. "So good of you to come" he continued genially, "Where is your wife?"

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Jason the Younger seemed a bit busy at the moment. Stepping forward a few paces, he brought himself near to Adelaide and asked, “How do you do it?”

It took her a moment to notice that he had spoken with her, and her response to him was almost the exact duplicate of her earlier response to Russard.

“How did you do it?” he asked, gesturing to Russard, who was speaking with an old, balding man. “Get our illustrious host to search you out, I mean. I've been trying to thank him for the invitation, or for the location of those who sent them so I can thank them, but it's been a mite difficult. Lots of more important people than me here.”

He grinned and shook his head, before looking back at the young woman. “Ah. I'm Trix Idalix by the by. It's nice to meet you...?”

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The Baroness of Bespin

AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeart Quenn View Post
    Five minutes later, the Minister of Truth felt a cool hand on her shoulder, and someone drawling from behind her: "Sanya, Sanya, Sanya.... seems fate has thrown us together again, eh?"
    “Fate?” Sanya smiled at the absurdity of the idea, then cast a glance up at Cael who was smiling too, though more on reflex than because he understood whatever was amusing his companion. If anything had brought the Minister and the Moff together again, it was loathsome misfortune. What Sanya Tagge wanted from Yeart Quenn, she had already taken yet from the look on that slimy face of his, Quenn believed otherwise. Letting her fingertips trail an adoring line down Bathala's arm, Tagge glanced between the two men.

“Cael, this is Yeart Quenn, Moff of Kuat. Yeart... meet Cael Bathala.”

With introductions given, the pilots name hung in the air like an invitation. Sanya didn't imagine for one moment that Yeart Quenn was a follower of swoop-racing, where Bathala had made his name as a driver for TaggeCo's prize-winning Team Tagge. Nor did she expect he was up to date on who was making a splash at the starfighter flight academy. When Yeart did not fill the silence, Bathala took that as a sign something was expected of him.

He felt a panicked moment of uncertainty over how he should address a man of Quenn's standing within the Imperial government. Sanya's own somewhat blasé attitude was justifiable, given her superior standing, but Cael was just a pilot and, though charming, distinctly out of his depth when surrounded by such dignities. So, he did what he knew and saluted.

“It's an honour to meet you, sir.”

Sanya gave his arm a squeeze as a girlish grin lit her features, thinking how he looked just as a man of the Empire should.

Xavier Synik
    Xavier led them into ballroom with her arm tucked around his, a glass of a full bodied red having found it's way into his free hand. The wine was one of the best he had ever tasted. Not that that was any surprise. It would have been social suicide for the Russard's to serve anything but the best. Not that they wouldn't have served the best regardless of the social ramifications.

Looking around Xavier searched the many faces for any one that he recognized. He wasn't counting on it, but one never knew. However instead of finding a familiar face he only found himself bombarded with a lot of foreign faces, and far more dress uniforms then he would have liked. But it wasn't his party, and dealing with the Empire was part of doing business, even if it was something that his business actually tried to avoid.

There were a few people who caught his eye as people he might want to approach at some point in the night, for the moment he was happy just to blend into the crowd and assess the environment, and to enjoy the wine of course.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    "Reminds me of the last vintage from Lynaria..."

The voice spoke up from Xavier's side in an almost whistful light way. She coudln't help but make the comparison between the wine in hand and the personal bottles from their estate. It was more to create some memory to form in her mind, to just add that slight bit of overall comfort wrap around her when over all she felt somehow still out of place. Normally akin to a chameleon creature she could adapt, shift herself to fit into practically any social environment but for some reason she felt off here. And then it hit her why...everyone seemed to know each other. At least in some context or another. The subtle looks of recognition, the instant striking up of conversations between small groups or pairs, it all showed they were all part of this particular little social circle. Imperial elite indeed.

It made her feel like she was caged somewhat, to stand on the fringes of something her and her companion had only been lucky to be a part of. To hell with that. Her hand gently grazed that of her companion's and she gave him a small look that gave away her internal thoughts all too well. A small wave on was all that Emelie needed from her partner before she left his side. The girl wasn't without manners though...a quick glance around the room sussed out who was doing the typical "Goodness, how have you been! You look amazing!" that was happening about and finally found another who seemed in a similar perdicament. The poor....was he Arkanian?...man seemed at the mercy of some Moff's inquisative wife. A small impish smirk came to her lips as the woman's ramblings gave away his identity, the rest of her information came from other sources.

A feined nervousness...the back of her fingertips brushing against her lips, a pause, a slight fidget, just enough to make sure the woman speaking to the Prime Minister of Onderon was suddenly aware of the presence of the far younger woman who had approached before a gentle cough preceeded her innerjection and subsequent addressing of the man in what was her best polite if almost innocent-sounding tone.

"Mister...Ave, is it? Might I have a word...or two?"

Adelaide Kasperian-Kazaar
    Kazaar had disappeared from sight by the time Adelaide swept a quick look to where she'd first spotted him, but she had no time to consider where he may have gone. Beside her, Jason and Getar V'al Counis were exchanging the usual pleasantries, and beside them, Estelle and her companions were drifting off further amongst the guests in the casual way people do at these places.

Trix had introduced himself and was grinning at her expectantly -- obviously, waiting her response.

"Adelaide" she said, and held out her hand stiffly, which seemed to amuse Idalix further, taking it and shaking it accordingly.

"You look very familiar, Trix" Del ventured, though she was still sufficiently distracted by Aurelias' appearance earlier to not organize her thoughts very well "..though I admit, I'm certain I cant know you as I dont know any Imperial Officers that Im aware of..?"

He loved how it made her nervous.

Nya Halc -- Ahem, Aree Ankarta was the kind of woman who liked to retain a certain level of control over her life. A certain kind of woman who got uneasy when she didn't have all the cards, when she couldn't see either way whether things were going to end up favourably or otherwise, it forced her to do one of a few things or several things. In this case, she was left with one option - given that the directives were coming from her employer, it was indeed the only option outside of harshly disagreeing with him - to obey and trust him. Especially the trust part.

It was fun seeing her squirm like that for once, like she always did to him (and it was never clear whether she was doing it on purpose, to his constant frustration). Looking like a lady seemed so alien to her; being without her armaments was another little bug in her backside. For most intents and purposes, she was at the mercy of Caran V'al Counis for the evening. And damn it, they were going to enjoy themselves.

At least as much as I can enjoy myself around Cora. Not to mention hobknobbing with all these other people who take their social station just a little too seriously.

It was things like that which made the heir to Counis Corporation itch for a cigarra. That itch was one he had to restrain himself from indulging this evening for the sake of an image he was usually content to not uphold when he could reasonably get away with it.

“We have a specific… image to uphold, certain unwritten rules to adhere to. Just play the part and you’ll do fine.” He let out, finally. Then he tipped his head across to her, his cheek against the back of the seat, a sly grin on his face. “And it does suit you. I knew it would.”

He was talking about the dress, of course. “You really should spend more time out of that armor, you know. You have a nice…”

“Sir? We’ve arrived.” The driver interrupted with his announcement before Caran could finish and before Nya could put up any sort of argument about his forming compliment… or whatever it was.

Caran turned his face to the front of the speeder and smiled politely, placing a hand on the release for the door his side of the back seat.

“Ah, so we have.” He acknowledged, nudging the door open and looking to Nya again. “Ready?”

He didn’t wait for her answer, slipping out the door and bumping it shut with a nudge of his elbow. Next thing she would know, he’d be on her side of the speeder, door open and hand extended. Behind him sat the Russard Estate. He wasn’t aware whether she was familiar with the place or the event occurring there tonight. He just hoped to hope that she would behave appropriately. He had the same hope for Cora, when it came to him.

“Come, my dear. We’ve people to meet, greet and cavort with.”
    Last edited by Caran V'al Counis; Apr 18th, 2009 at 09:34:53 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    "You look very familiar, Trix" Del ventured, though she was still sufficiently distracted by Aurelias' appearance earlier to not organize her thoughts very well "..though I admit, I'm certain I cant know you as I dont know any Imperial Officers that Im aware of..?"
    She seemed a bit distracted, but the former actor took no offence. “Well,” he said, scratching his jaw lightly, “I've done a bit of acting now and then. People thought I was pretty good, I suppose, though I've never watched anything I've done, so I can't say. Command thought it might be a good idea for me to do some public relations appearances recently, so perhaps you've seen me on the holo?”

He gave another lop-sided grin and a shrug, and finished off his glass of champagne. A server seemingly materialised next to him and he waved off a replacement glass.

“But I don't think I like talking about myself and where you might have seen me. Would you care to walk about and talk, Adelaide?” Trix's smile changed to give him the appearance of being slightly apologetic. “You're the only one I've introduced myself to, and I'd rather not have to go through the harrowing experience again with someone less real than I feel you to be.”

Getar V'al Counis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Russard View Post
    "Getar!" Jason greeted the Counis Corp CEO with an outstretched hand, steering him to his left and away from Roger and Adelaide, whom even Jason could see was glad of the chance to avoid a conversation with him. "So good of you to come" he continued genially, "Where is your wife?"
    Getar V'al Counis gave his host a grunt while taking his hand and shaking it, saying "'Wouldn't have missed it, Junior," with an air of familiarity entirely out of place. The head of the Counis Corporation knew the older Russard much better than the younger one, having sat on enough mercantile board meetings with old Jake Russard, but he didn't let that stop him. He'd always had a quirky humor, and there was no better vent than a society party like this to get a few raises out of his peers - in whichever way.

Not bothering to wait for a reply, he pointed at the general direction from whence he'd come and mumbled, "'Wife's over there somewhere." He took a long sip of champagne and peered over the rim of the glass as he did it. "Where's the old man?" he then asked, with a grin, since he was almost as old as the old Russard himself.

Yeart Quenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanya Tagge View Post
    “It's an honour to meet you, sir.”

Sanya gave his arm a squeeze as a girlish grin lit her features.
    "Yes, yes... very nice..." he said, not bothering to look at the younger man.

He didn't buy for a second that she was actually involved with this oaf, whoever he was. But if she wanted to play this game, then he'd let her - let her have her fun.

Of course, now that he was here, he had no intention of leaving her side again. Instead, he stepped to her side and had her arm slung under his before she could as much as open her mouth in protest, then leaned in to whisper into her ear: "Smart of you to turn down my offer, for this. I have to admit I was a bit angry that you didn't take it, but now of course it makes sense." And then, with a wicked grin, he added. "The man has enough sex appeal to rub off even on you - I doubt I would have been able to make you look any less frigid than you do, even if you'd sashayed in here on my arm totally nude."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Jenny
    It was becoming quickly apparent that the Moff's wife who had latched onto Salem Ave was a) not about to stop talking any time soon and, consequently, b) not going to introduce him to any of the other guests at the party. Letting his eyes wander for a moment, the Arkanian tuned out the woman's chattering until it became just like the faint buzzing of a fly. What he needed was someone unattached, someone important...

Quote Originally Posted by Emelie Shadowstar View Post
    "Mister...Ave, is it? Might I have a word...or two?"
    ...or her. The plump woman at Salem's side gave the girl a stare, as if to say that she was currently having a word or two with Mr. Ave. He touched a hand to her back, in a gesture that very gently suggested she should continue to mingle elsewhere. “Certainly... madame, please excuse us.”

Taking the hint as gracefully as she could, the woman was soon gone in search of another ear to talk off. Salem took a sip from his wine and let his attention turn back to his new, younger companion. If there was anything to be learned from this gathering, it was that the power of the Empire seemed to lie with its youth.

“I don't believe I've had the pleasure, Miss...?”

SWFans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    This one goes up to 11.
    AKA
    Morg
    "You take my breath away."

Milivikal blushed deeply. Estelle's surprise and pleasure washed over her. Cristobal said something, but it was dim and distant, like everything else in the room.

"Thank you." She said, nearly timidly, and gathered herself again. The room undimmed slowly. She stayed near Estelle, and nodded politely to Jason the Younger, who returned the gesture with a smile. He enjoyed seeing money well spent.

"Estelle," she asked, "what do people do on such occasions?" Estelle was not given a chance to respond.

"I mean," she added quickly, "what should I do?" She'd only gone to things like this as a diplomat. Without that directive of delicate words and obligations for harmony, she felt the Quarren on Tatooine.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

If I have to clean up Kazaar after a drunken night of binge drinking one more time there will be HELL to pay!

"You try.." Estelle responded with a crooked smile, "..to have a good time, despite all the pomp and stifling good manners." Mili flicked an uncertain eye about her..that would be a challenge.

Estelle laughed lightly, "Its not as hard as you might think" - this coming from a girl who had known this lifestyle since a child and was as comfortable in the present company as in an old pair of slippers, - the Imperial elite notwithstanding.

"There are some very interesting people present" Estelle continued to Mili and, as if to prove it, she started discretely pointing out a few of them. "Over there is the Minister of Truth, Sanya Tagge, speaking to the Moff of Kuat." Santiago sipped his wine following with his eyes the distant introductions. "And there is Getar V'al Counis of Counis Corp talking with my dad. That is his son, Caran, over there by the fireplace with that elegant young lady -- he and I used to have spitting contests when we were kids. He's such a sore loser" she added gleefully.

"Im not sure who that pair are" she was looking at Salem and Emelie and noticed her Grandfather was noticing them too, as he crossed to the young man Xavier, standing some way across from them, intending to say hello. This prompted Estelle to suggest to Mili, "You should go and introduce yourself to some of them...Im sure they'd love to chat to you - you'd be a breath of fresh air from the usual stuffy lot they are surrounded by. Just, be careful" she warned in a lowered voice. "There are some Inquisitoriate Officers here tonight. She gestured surrepticiously to Lykaios, "Perhaps he's one as Ive not seen him at any of these events before, though I couldnt really say for sure. He just has an...air, dont you think Santiago?"
    Last edited by Estelle Russard; Apr 18th, 2009 at 04:01:59 PM.

Eliessa Corta
    "Hello Commodore" Eliessa said pleasantly, coming up beside Travis North after finally ditching the annoying rat-lawyer who had accosted her earlier. Some people have no notion on how to behave upon first impressions.

North, however, should be a very different affair and Corta was looking forward to a conversation with him. Having never met him before, Travis would perhaps not know who she was. Corta, however, had a file two inches thick on the Commodore and his career achievments. Travis turned at the sound of her voice.

"Congratulations on your new Empress" Eliessa said with an enigmatic smile.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

“Congratulations on your new Empress.”

“Indeed, this is a great time for the Empire.” Travis replied, returning the woman’s smile.

He tried to place her face with a name, but nothing came to mind. Just great, someone recognizes you and you draw a blank. It wasn’t entirely unexpected though, more than half the people present Travis had never seen or heard of before.

“Forgive me, but you have me at a loss for a name. Have we met?”

Eliessa Corta
    "Eliessa Corta, of the Order of Solomon" she answered pleasantly. No bells rang for North and the Judge's smile broadened, having anticipated the non-response. "Of the Judiciary Department" she explained. "Im currently investigating the Imperial Inquisitoriate regarding a large number of missing Moffs." It was a decent enough volley, if a little impolite, but Corta wasn't much of a stickler for proprietry. North kept an impassive expression. She continued, "Not that I'd expect you to know anything about all that Commodore, different branch from you entirely isnt it..?" Her smile remained fixed, but her eyes suddenly gleamed quite shrewdly at Travis. "Am I right?"

Jason Russard
    Lucky for Jason, rusty old buzzards like V'al Counis who were used to getting away with all kinds of irrascable offences, were a familiar breed to him. His own father could have written a book on 'how to step on a young mans toes and make him apologize for it'. So, it was with a good-natured grin he took Getar's jabs on the chin.

"Im sure you'll find my father at the business end of either a new shipping deal with some inexperienced entrepeneur or that of a Saccorian Cigar out on the balcony, which ever gets lit the quicker"

Jason was probably not too far from the truth as Getar would appreciate.

"Oh, thats him there" Jason was looking over shoulders and between heads. "I think that is Mr Synik he is talking to. Do you know him, Getar?"

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast