Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book(s) Are You Reading Now? (2009 version)

Books What Book(s) Are You Reading Now? (2009 version)

Exactly What It Says On The Tin - what are you reading right now? And what did you think of it/them? What do you hope to read in the near future?

For me right now - study books.

Earlier in the year however, I was reading:

* Wicked: The Life And Times Of The Wicked Witch Of The West by Gregory Maguire
    Interesting novel. I had heard a lot of buzz for it (plus the musical which I haven't seen) so I got hold of it with a voucher I got for Xmas. I must admit however I expected it to follow the original Wizard of Oz storyline more than it did. But still, interesting novel which I would recommend.

* The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    Oh man, what a great and touching story. I stayed up all night reading ti right through - I couldn't put it down. Very touching, very sad story.

Not sure what I'll read next - I might try and see if I can pick up the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Napoleonic Europe! With Dragons!!!) as I've heard good stuff about it.

A mate is reading Twilight - I wanted to stay clear but he reckons it isn't such a bad read so who knows.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    What I'm reading is shown on my Goodreads page, as well as what I have listed to read next, but I'll tell you anyway.

I'm reading four books right now.

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
    So far, so good. I've liked what I've read of Jim Butcher so far - the Dresden files is an easy read compared to the other three books, but I definitely am enjoying it.

Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind
    The Sword of Truth series - well, Stone of Tears is the second book, I haven't actually started it yet, but will in short order. I liked the first book, so I expect this one might be, at least, just as good.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson
    I've been told by many people I know that Stephenson is an author worth taking a look at. Now, it was his other books (like... Snow Crash) that were recommended to me. Since this book was only released last summer (I think) I don't know anyone else that's read it. All I'm going to say is it's a long book, page-wise, and it does require a bit of focus. I like the writing though, and it might encourage me to pick up more of Stephenson's work.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Johnathan Safran Foer
    What an odd book! It's quite interesting, and the quirks draw you in. That's really all I have to say about it for now, but I'm sure the whole book will be just as satisfying. I might read more of this author, too.

There are... lots of books I intend to read. I'll keep working on the two series I'm reading through, as well as reading other things that stand alone. I'll be reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson next, seeing as it's waiting on hold for me at the library.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilias Nytrau View Post
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Johnathan Safran Foer
    Same here. My progress with this book has been woeful, and that's thanks entirely to my Battlestar Galactica obsession!

Wait a minute, I mean

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios
    El Testamento Maya, which roughly would translate into The Mayan Testament but which English title is actually Domain by Steven Alten.

Talks about the end of days and the symbolism behind the 21st of Dec of 2012, not even a quarter into the book but so far so good.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

aka. Dasqcognito: Mexican Space Bandit - Looks Smashing in a Sombrero!
    I just finished Assassin's Apprentice (Book 1 of the Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb.

Now I'm finally starting A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

I also still have Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on the go, too.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I just finished Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn and I'm reading the next book Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand. I read the former in less than a day (Sat night - Sunday morning). I was RAVENOUS for a book!

Jozua Cure
    I'm reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, following on from reading the "Da Vinci Code". Clever and extremely page-turnable!

Next, I want to read "The Time Traveller's Wife", but I recently bought the two books to complete the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series, so those might be read first. Lemony Snicket is quite brilliant!

Oh, and I've read "Wicked" too! I've also read "SOn of a Witch", which is the sequel, which is pretty intoxicating, and a little confusing. But nonetheless, when you finish everything becomes much clearer. I definitely recommend those two books.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm about halfway through A Game of Thrones now and loving it. Why didn't I read this series earlier?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Bite that apple, bitch!
    DragonCon 09

Just got "Watchmen" in the mail (yay, love getting books in like, a day!).

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, though I have A Clash of Kings (the second in the A Song of Ice and Fire series) coming in the post so I'll probably switch over to that once it arrives. Gardens.. is the first in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and it's proving to be a little more difficult to get into than I was expecting. Still interesting, but not as engaging as A Game of Thrones was.

I also bought what I guess will be the first Star Wars EU books I've ever read: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and Darth Bane: Rule of Two.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I... am... CHRISTMAS!

I still haven't finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen. Thats mainly due to watching Battlestar Galactica when I would have normally read, and also being too tired of an evening to do anything at all.

I'm quite near the end so it shouldn't take me long. Then I can get cracking on my Iain M Banks sci fi novels.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

The Sonambulist

Interesting so far.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    The fifth dune book: Heretics of Dune
    I hope it is better than the 4th since the last one bored me to death.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Onto Deadhouse Gates, the second Malazan Book of the Fallen novel. The world this guy has created is so huuuuuge... he must have spent forever plotting out maps and cultures and whatnot.

I wasn't planning on reading this yet, but the package of books I ordered hasn't arrived so I had to go buy something else to keep me occupied

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios
    I just finished 'SW THE FATE OF THE JEDI: OUTCAST' quite an enjoyable read and now am not sure what to read next >.<

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher should be in my hands soon. Trying to get The Somnambulist read before hubby gets home with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    * The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    Oh man, what a great and touching story. I stayed up all night reading ti right through - I couldn't put it down. Very touching, very sad story.
    I read this last year. It's a very gripping book, and very emotional too. I recommend it.

Right now I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's "The Nasty Bits", as well as browsing through a half dozen cookbooks. I need to get more novels.

I also read "Eat Me" by Kenny Shopsin, which is enough of a testimonial of a restauranteur to stand apart from the recipes inside. Very interesting in a philosophical way I guess.

On deck is Tacitus and his "Annals of Imperial Rome" because I have always loved his writings.

J'ktal Anajii
    Starting on Fool by Christopher Moore, myself.

stevenvdb
    I'm seriously backlogged... but the last book I ordered was this one. :

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mer...oduct_Count=24

Except for a few well-known "old school" authors, like Ursula K Le Guin or JRR Tolkien, I can't honestly say i'm a particularly well-weathered fantasist, but this look interesting, if nothing else to see what the contributing authors, who I know much better and are my main draw, manage to work out of Vance's world.

JediBeldarine

Quote Originally Posted by Ilias Nytrau View Post
    Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind
    The Sword of Truth series - well, Stone of Tears is the second book, I haven't actually started it yet, but will in short order. I liked the first book, so I expect this one might be, at least, just as good.
    Goodkind was good for about four or five books but I lost interest after a while. I think he's up to eight or nine now and I can't seem to work up the interest again.

Right now I'm reading Narcissus in Chains from Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. Very, very different from Twilight... but I love it. Twilight is good if you want romance but if you want a kick butt, awesome heroine... Blake is it .

Jen

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast