I blinked, dredging through the myriad little memories that flitted through my mind.

"Our forebear, Enda von Metzger. Many generations of us have passed since then. Into shadow and memory." Mother gave Father a small displeased look at his waxing poetic and despondent...

..."A curse, it is said," Mother murmured as she smoothed my blankets. I was seven years of age. "As retribution for allowing the Losstarot Houses to experiment with their heritage. But they're likely all gone now, so don't think too much on it."...

..."Information on Arya Ravenwing wanted..."...

..."...Ravenwing, a lower House." Mother smiled in pride as I finished reciting all the Loveloxx Houses from memory. She reached forward to touch my face, as she had been doing more often, but my childishly masculine sensibilities would have none of that, and I ducked the outstretched hand petulantly. She merely smiled...

"I think," I said, bringing myself out of the memories, "I think it had something to do with recessive genes and a dwindling gene pool. Our reticence in mingling with outsiders emphasised that part of us that was related to them. Or something like that."

I grinned a bit. "That was Father's supposition; Mother always said it was a curse passed down to us for the errors of our ancestors."