Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth: The Sea Awakens

Open Roleplay [Myth] Myth: The Sea Awakens

The Mer are a sun loving race, tied to the ocean as surely as the Glaucans, though they lack the gills of the latter. Small in stature and large of heart, the Mer tend toward playfulness instead of seriousness.

Yet on this day, the leaders of the cliffside city of Peer are feeling unnaturally solemn. The great Bowl Reef, named so for the bowl shape cut into its southern point, is a magical nexus for Water mages. Nearly all Mer have some adeptness with water magic, and the Bowl is a special place for them. Glaucans know of the nexus, but they are content to let their sun-drenched cousins have the run of the Reef.

Today the Bowl's power is uneven. And a whirlpool has opened up above it, growing in strength. The Mer watermages have been unable to alter the whirlpool's spiral, and the Reef has become a dangerous place. At a loss, the elders have cast lots, choosing from amongst the citizens of Peer two companions who will travel to the Fian, overland, and seek help from their wise ones.

A small figure splashed into the southeastern ocean, a rock clutched to its chest. Bubbles fizzed up to the surface of the sea as the Mer girl sank downward, her eyes open but protected by her clear, secondary eyelids. The rock propelled her down, down, down to the bottom of the ocean where the light was dim.

Weeta released the rock and swam toward the bed of oysters that was nearby, frog kicking and stroking strongly towards the unsuspecting shellfish. Her red hair floated in front of her face as she slowed, reaching for the biggest oyster she could find. The Mer pulled her knife from her belt and cracked it open, revealing a large pearl of uneven size.

She grinned, popping the pearl into a finely woven net bag at her waist, and proceeded to harvest several more pearls, though none as fine as the first. Several minutes ticked by, and finally she was forced to kick for the surface, her lungs needing air.

Bobbing in the warm southern sea, Weeta tread water and looked up at the great Mer city of Peer. Sometimes it was called Peerl by the Dalridian and Necian traders that came over land to visit and trade for the pearls and fine fishing nets that the Mer could provide. Sandy colored cliffs rose almost straight up from the ocean, criss-crossed and honeycombed with wooden and rope dwellings suspended almost unbelievably from the stone. Some homes were burrowed into the cliff, but most were out in the air, connected by swaying rope bridges and ladders.

If she squinted towards the noon sun Weeta could just make out her family's complex, where her sisters and cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents and nieces and nephews and brothers and mother and fathers shared space with her. After you went out far enough on anyone's family tree it seemed that they were related to someone else... so in the end the whole of Peer was one big familial complex. But not in a gross, incestuous way.

Her friend Ariadne had taught her the word 'incest.' Gross!

A conch horn blew, and Weeta frowned, swimming over to the closest rope that dangled down to the waves, and pulled herself up and out of the water. Climbing like a monkey, the four foot ten inch Mer was soon in the thick of the market place, where fish and other sea foods were bartered and sold amongst the People.

"What's going on?" she asked a white haired grandmother, who looked started to see her.

"Weeta! You're needed by the Elders! The Bowl... the Bowl!" Hanah completed a complicated holy gesture that made the fish she was holding nearly slap the younger Mer in the face. Weeta ducked.

"The Bowl? Something about the whirlpool that started?" Weeta shivered despite the warmth of the day.

"Oh yes, yes. They cast lots. They picked you!" Despite her age Hanah had a loud pair of lungs, and everyone around them was staring. Weeta felt nervous.

"Me?!" She squeaked. "To go.. overland?!" She almost dove off the edge of the deck and back into the ocean where it was safe. A Mer... traveling on land! Weeta almost burst into tears. "By myself?"

"No, no, they are sending another with you. But you need to hurry! Get up there!" Hanah shooed Weeta away, causing the young girl's shark leathers to get a distinct fish gut smell as she pushed her through the crowd.

Weeta climbed up through the vast network of dwellings and platforms and ropes, the worry in her tummy growing with every foot she gained towards the top of the cliff.

Glasswater had been traveling for a long enough period of time that he'd begun to worry for Ariadne. He knew the girl could fend for herself well enough, and that the crew of the Chiron - though battered down - was by no means incapable. They were a hardened group of men who had each had their mettle tested in battle. It still did not help the worry that he felt for each league that he traveled alone.

The Glaucan, after leaving Tirgatia, had decided to travel south by following the coastline. Far more pleasant that if he'd gone straight towards Ha'lainn Inniu, he figured moving along the coastal pathways would allow Fyrian the time she needed to catch up with him, and with any luck they would meet up in the Fian city at roughly the same point in time. At least, that was the plan in his mind. There was no telling what would actually happen, but Glasswater hoped for the best.

His only company for the ride south was his horse, and an everpresent raven that hovered overhead. Occasionally the bird would alight upon his shoulder, but it was never long before the creature took to the air once more. A pet of Ariadne's Glasswater had silently agreed to take the bird with him while she was gone. To himself and the rest of the crew, it was something of a good luck charm, and in many ways a herald of their coming.
    It was often said that before you saw Fyrian's ship, you saw the raven. It was something that no one had seen fit to stop.

During his travels, he'd not touched the saddlebag that Fyrian had passed off to him; the less he thought of its' contents the better. Damn Kariun and his fool hatred; look what it had gotten the Fold! Denetion's anger manifest by raging storm, and it had cost him his life on top of the ill fates doled out to the rest of the men.

Glasswater scowled at the thought, and looked to the side, out to the ocean and its' rolling waves. His mount walked steadily along at a comfortable pace.

It wasn't until he reached Peer that he had the first notion that something was off. Mer stared up at his towering form with their curious eyes wide open.

By now the raven had perched itself once more on his shoulder, and Glasswater dismounted carefully to stand in a sea of Mer.

What in the devil was going on?

Weeta struggled with her fears as she stood outside the hut of the Elders - a palm frond thatched deck that was open to the air on three sides. It was perched just below the top of the cliff, and every available surface around, above and below it was covered by the People.

They murmured and moved aside to make room for her. She swallowed hard and eyed the Elders where they were huddled, tossing the bones of a seabird on the deck between them. Then there was another ripple of noise, coming down from the Mer that were up top looking down on the proceedings. A horse whinnied, and Weeta looked up to see a tall Glaucan approach the edge of the cliff.

"Mister Glasswater!" she blurted, just as he began descending down the ramp that was built to help the overland traders enter Peer. Weeta waved wildly, all thoughts of the Elders banished for the time being.

One of the Elders chose that moment to shout, however, and Weeta's head swiveled around to see the seven Elders all standing and staring at the Glaucan. One of them bent down and retrieved the wing bones of the bird as though to examine them more closely.

A small boy was dispatched from the Hut to run through the crowd to the side of Mr. Glasswater, requesting that he join the Elders on their deck. Weeta was also beckoned close. She gulped, nimbly walking along the outside edge of a walkway and using the rope railings to keep her balance. She ducked under the railing of the Hut and waited for the familiar Glaucan to join her and the Elders.

The voice that'd called his name was a familiar one, and despite his earlier mood, Glasswater smiled at Weeta's enthusiastic waving, and even managed a slight wave of his own before the Mer Elders gave a shout. Used to seeing the people around him in far more jovial moods, the Glaucan found himself just a little worried at this new behavior he was seeing, and the boy that appeared before him to lead him to the Elders' hut certainly did not help that feeling.

But he gave a nod and followed quietly, the raven still perched atop his shoulder like some inquisitive gaurdian.

Drawing near to Weeta, Glasswater extended a large hand and laid it atop her wild mess of red hair, mussing the Mer girl's unruly locks even more.

"Hey Weeta-girl," his deep and rumbling voice was low, yet full of warmth as he tweaked the tip of one of her ears.

"What's my Little Cousin done now to attract the attention of the Elders."

Weeta tried to duck out of the way as he tweaked her ear, but failed, and blushed bright red as the Elders frowned in Mr. Glasswater's direction. "I.. I'm not sure what I did," she managed.

"You have been chosen!" said the Eldest, a tall Mer of 5'1" with a mane of grey hair that was twisted into dreadlocks. Bits of shell that were entwined in his dreads tinkled together as he shook his head. "Weeta, you were chosen first, so you lead the expedition Over Land to the Fian!"

She gaped, the Glaucan's hand still heavy on her head.

"And you! Glaucan and protector of the Bird," he bowed his head to the raven, who cocked its head to the side as if to acknowledge the gesture, "You have been chosen second. The lot was cast and cannot be uncast. The bones have left the cup." His voice was filled with resolve, though the faces of the Elders behind him seemed to be full of questions.

Weeta stared with her mouth open, her tongue drying out in the sun as she gave the Eldest a wild look. Finally, as Glasswater's hand on her hair seemed to be gripping tightly she squeaked, "What!? How can the lots send me to lead a Glaucan OVER LAND to the Fian?!"

"What's going on." Mr. Glasswater's voice rumbled dangerously.

"The Bowl has gone awry, Glaucan cousin," the Eldest replied. "A whirlpool that gains in strength even as the power of our nexus weakens has appeared in the sea above it. It threatens the reef and any ship that may pass near enough to be caught in its currents." He gestured helplessly. "It is beyond what we know. The Old Ones must know what to do."

The Bowl.

Glasswater gave a bare scowl at this news, and taking his hand from Weeta's head, he crossed his arms over his chest. He would certainly not say aloud his doubts of the Mer Elders, but he knew enough to consider their words regardless. If they were this distraught over something happening at the Bowl Reef, than it at least warranted a closer examination.

As it was, he was riding for Ha'lainn Inniu himself; it would not be a hardship to bring Weeta with him.

"I already ride for Ha'lainn Inniu," he started as diplomatically as he could manage.

"If you wish to send one of your own to the Fian for help, I will welcome the company."

The Elders murmured behind their hands, long ears waggling as they conferred. Weeta gulped, turning and staring out over the rope railing at the sea as it stretched on to the burial islands beyond the horizon. Her mind bubbled and her stomach churned, the clams she'd eaten for lunch threatening to resurface.

The Eldest turned back towards the huge Glaucan, bowing slightly in deference to the other's stature and power. The Mer were always polite to other races, lacking the size and strength to be rude. As a people they were polite, as individuals the Mer were as different as a hundred pieces of sea glass would never contain two alike. "So you say, Glaucan. The lots have been cast. You must assist Weeta in her assigned task."

His voice became gloomy, "Our fates are entwined. The Bowl... it is unnatural. Our watermages are working day and night to keep the whirlpool from growing beyond control, but it is all they can do to slow its growth." The Eldest stared at Weeta from under his bushy grey eyebrows, his dreadlocks swinging as he turned on her. "Go! Gather your things and you must ride out within the hour."

Ride? Weeta gaped, but was scrambling down and away, dropping off the edge of the Hut and swinging along a dangling rope to another level. Her slightly webbed fingers were nimble as she darted through Peer towards her familial dwelling. Grabbing a fine net bag, the lean and tanned Mer stuffed a change of leathers and some food. No one was home except her sister-in-law who was nursing an infant and tied to land for the time being.

Weeta blurted an explaination, kissed her nephew's soft head, and left, climbing up and back towards the Elder's Hut where the crowd was beginning to slowly disperse.

Glasswater was waiting, still looking more or less unnerved by what had happened, but he afforded Weeta a large smile regardless as she drew closer. The little Mer was a good friend, and he felt a slight pang of sorrow for her lot in this. Ever since happening upon her he'd learned well enough that she was far more comfortable in the water than anywhere else. In some ways he was as well, but there was also something enjoyable in being on land.

He might not be as comfortable with landward travels as Ariadne, but he was at least more than tolerant of the necessity.

Reaching down a weathered hand to Weeta, he easily lifted her up to deposit her back on the outer deck that surrounded the Elder's Hut. Such a petite little thing, and so full of energy. She confounded him at times when him and Ariadne passed through.

His smile still creasing his features, he reached up to scritch at the raven's head. The bird, used to such contact, shifted around so that Glasswater's fingers could get more coverage.

"Do you have a horse? Or will I be sharing mine with you?"

There was warmth in his voice. Despite his own situation and intentions for traveling to Ha'lainn Inniu, he would at least try to make Weeta feel as adjusted as possible while on land.

"A horse?" Weeta exclaimed, her eyes wide. "No, no. No. I will walk." The thought of being carried along by one of the huge land beasts was scary. Mer always went where they could on their own power.

The Eldest coughed. "Time is of the essence, Weeta." He clapped his hands and dismissed the crowd of excited and expectant faces. "Ha'lainn Inniu is not close to us. Take the Glasswater's help, as the bones have decreed."

The girl harumphed, but nodded reluctantly. "Well, okay. I guess. I better not fall off though!" She pointed an accusing finger up at Glasswater, and then adjusted her pack. "Lets leave before I change my mind and swim away."

Glasswater laughed at that, a deep laugh that was warm and jovial.

"Weeta-girl, I would not dream of letting you fall off a horse."

A wink, and he gestured for her to lead the way back to where his horse waited patiently, tethered to a hitching rail. Making room for the little Mer was easy as the Glaucan partially unwrapped his bedroll that'd been tied to the back of his saddle. He flattened a part of it out so that it formed a comfortable second seat, and before she could get out another word, Glasswater scooped her up. She was light, and he effortlessly deposited her in the padded seat he'd made for her.

"Besides, Ariadne would string me up by my toenails if I did."

"Oof," Weeta grunted as Mr. Glasswater swept her up and put her on the horse. She clung to the back of the saddle in front of her so tightly that her knuckles whitened, her legs sticking out like sticks. Afraid to move, she muttered, "I'd help her, too."

She squeaked as the raven flew off of Glasswater's shoulder and landed on her head, but aside from a slight tremble Weeta didn't move a muscle. Teeth clenched, she said, "Can we just go? I don't want everyone to see me like this." The horse shifted its weight from one foot to another, and her eyes widened as her stiff body wobbled on its perch.

Glasswater gave another laugh, and gently eased Weeta's legs down so that they fell against the sides of his mount. For a moment he leaned against the saddle, one elbow on the leather seat so that his hand could prop itself against his forehead.

"Little Cousin, there are far worse ways to travel."

A gentle shooing sent the raven from the Mer's head to the horse's rump, and with a grin at Weeta, the Glaucan pulled back and lifted a foot to the stirrup. He was careful lifting himself up, and eased his leg past his traveling partner to fall into the stirrup on the other side. The black gelding shifted its' stance again, and Glasswater took up the reigns to steady the animal.

"Think of it as riding on the top of a wave. Let your body roll with the movements."

And with that, he gave a nudge with his legs to send them into a walk, and away from Peer.

She clung to his belt, little fingers wrapped tightly around the leather as she tried to relax. It was much bumpier than riding a wave. Weeta gritted her teeth as her back felt jarred with every hoof fall.

The short Mer turned her head, looking back at Peer and at the edge of the cliff that hid her home from view. A few of the People were standing there, watching silently, the sea a distant shimmer behind them. She gulped.

"How can you stand it?" she asked, turning back towards Mr. Glasswater. "I thought that Glaucans were even more tied to the sea than we are." She bit back a cry of alarm as the horse picked up speed, jolting her even more.

Smiling at that, Glasswater gave a shrug.

"Perhaps."

Resisting the urge to nudge his horse into a jog, the Glaucan kept the animal at a brisk walk for now. They'd have to speed up their pace at some point, but for the moment he didn't want to further Weeta's nervousness.

"But many of us also find it necessary to become familiar with traveling on land."

Glasswater partially turned in his saddle and gave his Mer companion a reassuring smile.

"We're to meet Ariadne in Ha'lainn Inniu, you know. I'm sure she will be happy to see you."

Weeta grumped a bit more, mumbling words that Glasswater couldn't make out (or was just ignoring). After a while he could feel her grip on his waist relax, though she was still holding on tightly.

Looking about, the Mer could see that it was still a bright and sunny day despite the fact that she was so far inland that the sea was only a memory behind them. Butterflies swooped around them and she giggled as one landed on her nose, and scolded the raven as it snapped up a few for a delicious snack.

"Ariadne will probably want me to finish her tattoos," she remarked suddenly, ears perking up. "But... but I cannot!" Weeta leaned her face into Glasswater's back ears drooping again. "I will be busy trying to talk to the Fian! I... I've never talked to one before!"

"Not even the Fian traders that come to Peer?" Mr. Glasswater's voice sounded suspiciously like he was holding back a laugh. He kicked the horse's sides and it jerked forward, and suddenly the land was sweeping by underneath her like... like... something really fast!

Weeta shrieked and clung like a limpet to his waist, and he did laugh then, a deep sound that was as musical as waves crashing on a coastal rock. She gasped, "Oh, oh, oh!"

After a few moments she adjusted to the new speed and said breathlessly, "Well, I've spoken to some Fian traders. But, that doesn't count. I'll be alone this time!" Weeta managed to open her eyes, but the sight of the land whipping by caused her to squeeze them closed again. "Do we have to go so fast?"

Time was of the essence, and Glasswater knew that the closer they grew to the Fian city, the more settled he would become. Fyrian would be there, he knew she would be. At least he prayed to Denetion that she would be. Weeta's tight grip on his waist gave him reason for caution though; he did not want to make a nervous wreck out of the little Mer, and he slowed the horse to an easy lope.

"We must hurry, Little Cousin. The sooner we get to Ha'lainn Inniu the sooner you can speak with the Fian about the magics disturbing the Bowl Reef."

And the sooner Fyrian can take this accursed Necian treasure off my hands.

His reservations he kept to himself however.

"As for Ariadne, I'm sure the two of you will be able to find time to sneak away. She has mentioned recently seeing you about more designs."

The raven, having been disturbed by the horse's much faster gait, had taken to the sky, soaring overhead like some sentinal, ever-watching.

"And if you ask her nicely," he went on smiling, "I'm sure she will help you talk with the Fian."

"Someone should," she pouted, the wind blowing the tips of her ears back. "I don't know what the Elders were thinking."

They traveled in silence until Weeta begged him to stop so she could go behind some bushes and make water. Glasswater helped her down from the horse's rump and she hobbled away, her legs and bladder protesting. While she was taking care of business her stomach rumbled, and she called, "Can we stop for lunch soon? Or supper? I can't tell what time it is, but I know its time to eat!"

Weeta came back into view, wiping her hands on some grass and staring at the sky through the trees. "Its hard to see the sun here." Her little face twisted with sadness as she pictured the glorious sunshine pouring down on the cliffside and ocean.

As Weeta came back out into view, Glasswater looked down at her for a moment before slowly moving to dismount. Lunch did sound good about now, and he had to admit that he was a little hungry as well.

As his feet hit the ground, he made quick work of unlatching one of his saddlebags.

"Lunch sounds like a good idea," he agreed.

A smile on his face, and the Glaucan pulled out a small wrapped parcel of squid jerky, spiced bread, and some dried fruits.

"It's not much, but it's good for now I'd say."

Another grin, and he tossed the parcel to her playfully.

"Don't eat so much that you give yourself a stomach ache," he teased.

Weeta snagged the packet out of the air and made a face. "Don't eat so much that you give yourself a stomach ache," she mimicked, under her breath. "I'm not a baby."

She plopped down to the ground, unwrapping the waxed paper. "Oooh!" The Mer grinned, stuffing some squid jerky into her mouth as she looked up at Glasswater. "Thanks!"

Squid jerky was good for long journeys. You could chew it for hours!

Glasswater laughed as he joined the little Mer, sitting crosslegged beside her. His frame rested against the trunk of a tree, and he relaxed a small bit. Perhaps it was wise to rest for a small time and regain his strength. He'd been riding for days along the coast.

"Mayhaps you're not a baby, but you're my Little Cousin, and I'd hate to see you uncomfortable."

Well, more uncomfortable than she already was, what with being away from Peer.

He pulled at the loaf of bread, breaking off half and offering a small bit to the raven that had swooped down to land in front of the two. Of course the bird would have nothing to do with Glasswater's offering; instead, it found much more delectible treats in the hands of Weeta, and happily tormented her for jerky scraps.

"I'm only making sure that you're in the best of health when you meet with the Fian. And well," he produced a small flask of water, uncapping the lid and drinking deeply before passing it off to Weeta.

"... I really don't want to have to hold your hair back if you overfill your gut."

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast