Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: 2008 Presidential Race Part Two

Daiquiri
    .. also, on a related note, Campbell Brown of CNN once again hit the ball out of the stadium. I might be in love with this woman...
    Must be related to Murphy Brown

Speaking of VP's, Biden stuck his foot in his mouth yesterday. He basically said that Obama was against new coal plants in the U.S. He was actually stating his own position from the primaries. Biden's gotten some grief over the last couple of days for that statement and the Ohio State trash talking he did earlier in the week. Still, at least he's not hiding from anybody.

Obama's RCP lead has jumped to OVER 3 this morning. And if it weren't for a consistently contrarian Battleground poll which has had McCain ahead all week his lead would be closer to 4. The economy is obviously killing McCain. The Foreign Policy debate couldn't have come at a better time for him. But if he can't get any kind of traction after Friday night he might be in some serious trouble.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post
    Speaking of VP's, Biden stuck his foot in his mouth yesterday.
    Yeah, Biden had some gaffes. The ones I heard about were about contradicting Obama on AIG bailout and criticising an Obama campaign ad. I have not seen much of an impact on Biden's favorable rating though. Biden is Biden. He'll speak out no matter what is on his mind for the moment.

The economy is obviously killing McCain.
    The economy is killing McCain big time. Check out this latest fantastic poll from Washington Post / ABC News.. Obama 52 - McCain 43

Economic Fears Give Obama Clear Lead Over McCain in Poll

Turmoil in the financial industry and growing pessimism about the economy have altered the shape of the presidential race, giving Democratic nominee Barack Obama the first clear lead of the general-election campaign over Republican John McCain, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News national poll.

Just 9 percent of those surveyed rated the economy as good or excellent, the first time that number has been in single digits since the days just before the 1992 election. Just 14 percent said the country is heading in the right direction, equaling the record low on that question in polls dating back to 1973.

More voters trust Obama to deal with the economy, and he currently has a big edge as the candidate who is more in tune with the economic problems Americans now face. He also has a double-digit advantage on handling the current problems on Wall Street, and as a result, there has been a rise in his overall support. The poll found that, among likely voters, Obama now leads McCain by 52 percent to 43 percent. Two weeks ago, in the days immediately following the Republican National Convention, the race was essentially even, with McCain at 49 percent and Obama at 47 percent.
    More details on the numbers here. Of the more interesting statistics were, 50% of the responders chose the economy as the single most important issue. Of course, the McCain camp immediately started a press conference to try and discredit those numbers.

It's probably an outlier, yet the trend can't be brushed off. Several other polls have shown increasing leads.. like this Hotline poll from today:

The Early Line: Diageo/Hotline Tracking Poll
    Obama/Biden 48%
    McCain/Palin 42%
    Undec 8%

- Obama/Biden's 6% lead is their largest in the Diageo/Hotline tracking poll yet.

- Obama/Biden are moving ahead among white women. The Dems now hold a 1% edge, 46-45%; in the poll completed one week earlier (on 9/16), McCain/Palin led 53-37%.

- Among the 56% of RVs who say the economy is their #1 issue, Obama/Biden are up 51-39%. Last week they led the group, which at the time only represented two-fifths of RVs, 49-40%. Among all RVs, 45% say Obama can best handle the economy, while 39% say McCain; Obama held just a 1% lead the previous two surveys.

Today's poll, conducted 9/21-23 by FD, surveyed 903 RVs and has a margin of error of +/- 3.3%.

Look for full results in today's Latest Edition, and checkout Keys To The White House at anytime to see how Obama and McCain are doing among key demographic groups.
    Hell, even the bastion of fair and balanced, the "no spin zone" say the same thing:
    Fox News: Obama 45, McCain 39

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    Another national poll suggests a semi-Obama surge.

Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll from early September had McCain 45, Obama 42.

... also leak from the NBC poll later today:
    Are the runningmates qualified to be president if the need arises?

Qualified: Biden 64, Palin 40

Not Qualified: Palin 49, Biden 21
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 24th, 2008 at 01:17:47 PM.

I just read a headline that I found to be stunning. I'm still having trouble believing it's true. There are reports that McCain will announce later this afternoon that he wants to postpone Friday's debate! The report said he would be suspending his campaign tomorrow to return to Washington to work on the bailout legislation. If this is true I think it's amazing. I have no idea how Obama, the press, or the public would respond to this. I can't EVER recall something like this happening. Not with a debate this close to being held. Wow.

CNN just confirmed it, McCain wants out of Friday's debate and he's suspending his campaign today so he can "focus on the economy." And he's calling on Obama to do the same. Wow, there's a number of ant-McCain slams running through my brain right now, but that's not what I'm really curious about. How is everyone else going to respond to this bombshell?!

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

CNN just confirmed it, McCain wants out of Friday's debate and he's suspending his campaign today so he can "focus on the economy." And he's calling on Obama to do the same.
    I am not into baseball, but the term "curve ball" springs to mind.

CNN: "Obama Campaign: No reason to cancel debate on friday, suspend campaign"

From what I hear, Obama called McCain this morning asking McCain if he would make a joint statement with him about the economy. Then McCain does this. Wow.
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 24th, 2008 at 01:41:23 PM.

I can see McCain doing this to once again jolt the race, just as he did with Palin's nomination. If and when the legislation passes he'll take credit for it. He'll trumpet the "Country First" slogan over and over again. Saying he even put his pursuit of the Presidency behind the "good" of the country. This could be the game changer than McCain needs to improve his numbers in regards to the economy. I really have no idea how Obama is going to respond.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

If and when the legislation passes he'll take credit for it.
    He can't take credit for it, since it was Obama's idea. The "delay debates!" thing sounds like a curveball though. McCain camp is in panic mode, and yeah, they are probably looking for some kind of game changer.

Edit: Also, after watching some networks and various reactions, the consensus seems to be delaying the debate is unnecessary. The "I put country first, Obama did not" talking point is not going to work, and would probably backfire. Obama already said he wants to be present at the vote and is constantly in contact with the leaders of the legislation working this deal out. Remember, it was Obama who proposed a joint statements some hours before McCain made this announcement. I just saw an online poll of 30K participants with 73.7% saying they disagree or strongly disagree delaying the debate is a good idea. Also, here is why I think it's a bad idea. The debate takes place at 9 pm on friday, so it really should not conflict with any vote. Both McCain and Obama can be present in Washington the same day, and take their private jet to make the debate. This is a non issue, really.

Watching Obama on CNN.com live now:
    "This is exactly the time America needs to hear a debate".

"Part of the president's job to do more than one thing at once".
    "Senator, are you going to be at the debate on Friday?"

"Yeah. I'll be there. Next question."
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 24th, 2008 at 03:15:12 PM.

Obama just spoke, he wants the debate to continue and when asked if he were suspending ads and campaign stops he basically said no. I think continuing ads while McCain pulls his is a mistake. Keep the campaign stops, but yanks ads, especially negative ones. You can bet next week, AFTER the legislation has passed, McCain will say I dropped everything to help get this legislation passed and Obama decided to "ignore" what has happening and it was just business as usual.

I'm now hearing that some Reps and Democrats were asking McCain to come back because many Republicans were getting cold feet about the bailout. After the initial shock many Republicans were ready to vote against this bill. I don't know what Bush is going to say tonight, but he's apparently trying to get the public to support this bill. This bail out has been getting less and less positive buzz as the week has gone on. If you're a fiscal conservative, this is a massive socialized nightmare. McCain may very well have to beg for some Republicans to vote for this bill.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

MSNBC poll

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    John McCain's request to delay campaigning and this week's debate is:

An effort to help the economy 27% 13623
    A political gimmick 68% 34715
    Something else 5% 2402
    Total Votes: 50740
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Fleischer at Fox News
    "Very very risky for McCain..you just dont suspend campaigns. When do you start up again, 1 week? 2?""

Quote Originally Posted by Survey USA
    The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?

Hold as scheduled 50
    Hold with focus on economy 36
    Postpone 10

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?

Suspend 14
    Continue 31
    Refocus the campaign 48

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?

Good for America 14
    Bad for America 46
    No difference 35

Quote Originally Posted by Drudge Report
    EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION
    Wed Sep 24 2008 17:41:58 ET

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

I have a hard time imagining any big political gain for McCain on this. Looking at some of these polls and responses, it might even do more worse than good.
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 24th, 2008 at 04:06:28 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

McCain's internal "Talking Points" just leaked out to the press. Whooops!
    What McCain's campaign wants you to know about their gambit

Anyone want to bet this was just a ploy to get the debate delayed? October 2 is the suggested date.

McCain camp to propose postponing VP debate
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Posted: September 24, 2008 1828 GMT
    (CNN) — McCain surrogate Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there’s no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday.

Graham says the McCain camp is well aware of the position of the Obama campaign and the debate commission that the debate should go on, but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there’s no deal on the bailout.

... also the press finally got hold of Palin for some minutes...
    CBS Interview YouTube video

Sarah Palin: My understanding is that Rick Davis recused himself from the dealings of the firm. I don't know how long ago, a year or two ago that he's not benefiting from that. And you know, I was - I would hope that's not the case.

Katie Couric: But he still has a stake in the company so isn't that a conflict of interest?

Palin: ............... (long pause)
    ..again, my understanding is that he recused himself from the dealings with Freddie and Fannie, any lobbying efforts on his part there. And I would hope that's the case because, as John McCain has been saying, and as I've on a much more local level been also rallying against is the undue influence of lobbyists in public policy decisions being made.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find ya some and I'll bring them to ya!
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 24th, 2008 at 06:05:29 PM.

I decided a while ago that I needed to leave this thread because the issue had simply become too emotional and draining for me, but I decided to make a reappearance momentarily to say that McCain wanting to suspend his campaign and delay the debate is basically ridiculous. There have been so many things going wrong for the campaign, especially in the last 10 days or so, that it seems pretty obvious to me that they are in complete panic mode and just don't know what to do next. They're grasping for any straws they can possibly find, no matter how slender or tenuous they might be.

I sincerely hope that most voters in the country see this for the political gimmick that it is and aren't fooled. *fingers crossed*

Cat X
    McCain... wants to suspend campaigning to focus on the economy...?

Isnt that kinda the point of the campaign, to show who can deal witht he issues? Isnt Obama still attending votes in Washington and liasing with his party to get a deal done so.... umm......

Okay, I have no idea. Either this is brilliant by McCain or political suicide.

I think it is stupid. Like he can't do two things at once. I think it is a political ploy on his part or he knows Obama will kick his butt.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Cat X View Post
    Either this is brilliant by McCain or political suicide.
    I was wondering the same at first, but now I think it is more leaning to the latter. This is political posturing, but it's really transparant. McCain got the worst Senate attending record of the current Congress. Yet all of a sudden he is delaying the highly awaited Presidential debate, shutting down his entire campaign, cancelling appointments and interviews, and rushing off to Washington... to do what exactly? Shaking his fists angrily demanding immediate action?

We never even got a clear answer of what his position is on the issue. Last week, he was debating himself on government regulation and bailouts, shifting position on a daily basis. Prior to that, he was strongly opposing regulation, for most of his political career. Government should not intervene with the free market was his view. The market knows best to regulate itself etc. And look what happened. This week, he is suddenly a strong proponent of regulation of Wall Street. Or is he? I don't even know. He wants congress to approve of the $700B loan, but it is unclear what kind of conditions he wants to set.

If McCain wants to stick out in Washington to push $700B transfer to Secretay of Treasury Paulson with unrestricted access, that is one thing. That does not mean he should stop his entire campaign while he is away. The normal thing to do in such a situation is delegating responsibility to your second in command, the VP ticket. If you are going to delay the debate (unneccesarily), hey let's have Biden / Palin debate eachother instead then. But no, he delays it to the day VP debate is scheduled, so the VP debate gets delayed too, giving more time for Sarah Palin to cram. And if McCain thinks the political campaign is a distraction, then why did he use prewritten talking points and spent the entire day talking to the press? It's all political posturing and tactical shenanigans.

To end my rant, I don't buy it, the public won't buy it, and neither does David Letterman:

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and try to speak up for McCain. There's a good possibility that this Bail Out needs McCain in Washington or it has little hope of passing. More and more Republicans are turning against this bailout and even the public is starting to turn against it. This legislation already has all the Democratic support it needs. Obama doesn't need to go and rally Democratic support, but McCain may be the only one who can get enough Republicans to get this thing passed.

Now, I'm not sure that McCain is the right guy for this. Republicans who oppose this legislation are probably Republicans who have grudges against McCain for everything from campaign finance reform to immigration. I'm not sure he's the guy who can rally the troops behind this.

Well, I'm watching the Olbermann repeat to get my McCain bashing in. I really urge any McCain supporters to give us their take on today. I just want to know what they think of McCain suspending his campaign and canceling the debate. And when you hear that he wants to reschedule it for Oct. 2 and pushing back the VP debate... I know what that makes me think, again, I'm just wondering what his supporters think.

Cat X
    Well, frankly unlike usual I just dont know what to think and I cant really relate to anythign to guage what now. So I'm lost for words.

But could it be to do witht eh Democrats have forced McCain's hand? I see the Dems are refusing to vote for anything unless McCain votes. Which in this case is a damn good idea, not just for political posturing but for the fact in 5 weeks, McCain could be President - he realyl should be involved in passing legislation he will support if he is elected.

Forceing McCain to vote is really good politcs by the Democrats.

Okay, I'm outta ideas and thoughts. I'll just watch whatever happens to see if it's the trainwreck or masterstroke. Looks like trainwreck so far tho

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Too many posts, closing thread.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324