Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennant Chase & Road to the World Series

Of course I expect those picks from a Yankees fan If I had to pick I would pick the Angels and Indians beating both the Yankees and Sox. The Indians are playing great right now. And their 1-2 man rotation is going to be tough in a 5 game series. Since they get HF they get the option of getting an extra off day (some kind of new rule they get for the American League getting HF). The will shorten the series by pitching their best two pitchers (and maybe the best two pitchers in baseball right now) 4 out of the five games. I think the Indians will win because of that crazy rule. I don't like how the Sox have been playing the last month and although the Angels are playing just as bad I have a feeling the Angels y will beat them.

As for the National League I don't think the Mets will get swept but I bet they don't win enough games to clinch. They really lucked out in getting two of the worse pitchers in the NL. I wouldn't be surprised to see a one game playoff betwen them. Also don't rule out the Rockies or Padres from winning the NL West. The Rockies will play the Diamonbacks tough at home and could sweep them right out of the playoffs. What I am hoping for is the Rockies, Padres, Phillies and Mets all get tied on the last day and then we get the mother of all playoffs.

Doc Milo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    Of course I expect those picks from a Yankees fan If I had to pick I would pick the Angels and Indians beating both the Yankees and Sox. The Indians are playing great right now. And their 1-2 man rotation is going to be tough in a 5 game series. Since they get HF they get the option of getting an extra off day (some kind of new rule they get for the American League getting HF). The will shorten the series by pitching their best two pitchers (and maybe the best two pitchers in baseball right now) 4 out of the five games. I think the Indians will win because of that crazy rule. I don't like how the Sox have been playing the last month and although the Angels are playing just as bad I have a feeling the Angels y will beat them.

As for the National League I don't think the Mets will get swept but I bet they don't win enough games to clinch. They really lucked out in getting two of the worse pitchers in the NL. I wouldn't be surprised to see a one game playoff betwen them. Also don't rule out the Rockies or Padres from winning the NL West. The Rockies will play the Diamonbacks tough at home and could sweep them right out of the playoffs. What I am hoping for is the Rockies, Padres, Phillies and Mets all get tied on the last day and then we get the mother of all playoffs.
    What is the actual tie-breaker rule? I know there won't be a round robin tournament in that scenario. I think the divisions in that case would be decided by head to head records (if even, then division record) and the wild card would be decided by a one game playoff.

I'm going to see if I can find something on the internet on tiebreakers.

How, exactly does that HF advantage work with an extra day off? If the Indians have an extra day, doesn't that mean that the team they play will also have an extra day?

BTW -- the Mets are losing right now, 7-4 in the seventh. The Phillies are up 6-0.
    Last edited by Doc Milo; Sep 28th, 2007 at 07:55:49 PM. Reason: Score update

Red Sox Division Champs. I know we won the ALCS, and the WS in '04- but this has been missing for a long time. Feels good.

Cubs also clinched the NL Central tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Milo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post

What is the actual tie-breaker rule? I know there won't be a round robin tournament in that scenario. I think the divisions in that case would be decided by head to head records (if even, then division record) and the wild card would be decided by a one game playoff.

I'm going to see if I can find something on the internet on tiebreakers.

How, exactly does that HF advantage work with an extra day off? If the Indians have an extra day, doesn't that mean that the team they play will also have an extra day?

BTW -- the Mets are losing right now, 7-4 in the seventh. The Phillies are up 6-0.

Yeah I am not sure the exact wording of the rule, I heard this on Baseball Tonight last week. They said Boston would probably not want it and rather go with their 4 man rotation but Cleveland would rather have their top 2 staters go 2 games each. I think it would help Cleveland the most because of that. I don't think the Yankees have two starters like Cleveland does. I do think it is a crazy rule.
    On to Baseball, I am glad the Cubs and Red Sox both clinched. It looks my tie breacher hope is out the window with Colorado losing.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

As much as I hope the Cubs can get things together (it seems like both they and Milwaukee were trying to see who could back into the playoffs in worse fashion), I'm not very optimistic about their post-season chances. Being honest, I'm not much of a fan of Lou Pinella, and it has made it difficult for me to really get excited about this season.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Doc Milo
    The Mets destiny is now out of their hands. That is unbelievable. This team should have coasted to the playoffs.

The Mets hopes now lie in Philly losing two straight if they can somehow learn how to win two straight. Barring that, their only hope at the Wild Card is to tie.

The Mets were in first place for 135 straight games. To find themselves a game back with two to play is basically unforgivable. This is not something I would be able to get over to quickly if I were a Mets fan.

As a Yankees fan, I lived through the greatest collapse in post season history. Yet, I would find that easier to get over than a Mets fan getting over this collapse by the Mets. The Yankees, with 26 World Championships pretty much can help absorb their collapse. The only sticking point was that it came at the hands of the archrival Red Sox, which made it a bit harder to accept. But, that said, it was absorbed. But the Mets have precious few post season appearences -- to blow this opportunity is like a poor man finding a rare jewel worth millions and losing it on the way to getting it appraised.

JMK
    Happy trails to Willie Randolph if the Mets fail to make the post season and at least win the first round.

I'm sure he will land on his feet, but the disgrace of this embarassing collapse will stick to him for the rest of his career.

Well they are tied again. I think we will be seeing a 1 game playoff come Monday.

Doc Milo
    If Philly and the Mets win tomorrow and the Padres Lose, then we'll have a situation where there will be a tie for the NL East and the NL Wild Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Milo View Post
    If Philly and the Mets win tomorrow and the Padres Lose, then we'll have a situation where there will be a tie for the NL East and the NL Wild Card.
    Don't forget the Rockies in this. If that happens and the Rockies win tomorrow (they are winning 11-1 right now). They will be tied as well. That could be an interesting situation.

Tomorrow should be a huge day for baseball. Two playoff spots are on the line and four games are hugely important. I am still hoping for some playoff type games to end the season.

Today should be a lot of fun in the NL. The Mets probably played their best game of the season yesterday. Today it's Glavine againts Willis. That game starts at 1 and I think I'll be missing some NFL action to check in on that one a bit. Here are some playoff tiebreakers from MLB:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Doc Milo
    Well, The Mets are losing 7-1. The Padres are winning 3-0. And the Phillies are winning 3-0. Arizona and Colorado start in 15 minutes.

So far, not looking good for the Mets or Rockies. SD wins, and the Rockies are out. Mets losing and Philly winning gives Phils the NL East.

Still early in the games.

But, for the Mets, it looks like it can get late quick.

Doc Milo
    Florida 8
    Mets 1

Philadelphia 6
    Nationals 1

Phillies Win NL East.

Milwaukee now winning 9-4 against San Diego.

Colorado and Arizona scoreless in the sixth.

Here's a little parody I wrote for the Mets (sung to the Sound of Silence)

From the Mets fans to the Mets
    Regarding your great collapse

Go and hide your heads in shame,
    For causing us so much pain!

We believed!
    That this was our year
    We had no fear.

And now the sound of silence.

Oh now Mets what did you do?
    We believed dreams could come true!

You opened a big lead
    As you sat atop the league

And then . . .
    it slowly dwindled down
    We lost the crown

And now the sound of silence.

The Post Season's playing on
    With you at home our hopes are gone

Once we talked about destiny
    We thought we'd see a Series victory!

We believed!
    And now our dreams are gone
    It wasn't long
    To hear the sounds of silence.

Doc Milo
    San Diego lost 11-6
    Colorado won 4-3

One game play off game tomorrow in Colorado to decide who is the NL Wild Card.

I am glad the Rockies won. They are a fun team to watch. I think they can win that game. Really I question the decision by the Padres manger to rest their best pitcher for the playoff. They should have said we win today and instead well just in case. That will be why the Padres won't be in the playoffs. And the Mets suck, to blow a seven game lead is a disgrace. I wonder if they will fire Randolph after that.

Doc, you're cruel!

I don't think Randolph is in any danger of losing his job. It's not just that it was a big lead, it's the way they lost. Losing game after game at home and blowing big lead after big lead. I think it's great that even with the wild card we still can get meaningful and tight races that still in doubt uptil the last day of the season.

Doc Milo
    I'd be very surprised if Randolph lost his job. If this was the Yankees in Stienbrenner's hey-day, sure, tomorrow's headline would be about the firing of the manager. The Mets won't fire him over this type of collapse, though.

Why are the Mets where they are? Simple: It's their home record. They were only 41-40 at home this season. If you can't win at home, then you will have a hard time winning . . . period.

Long playoff game and the Rockies won in a heck of way. Although, I can't tell if Holiday touched the plate or not.

JMK
    Makes up for that botched home run call!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast