Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Fantasy Roleplay

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    What if the undead, over the years, began to supplement their ruins with the bones of the unfortunate souls that got lost in their lands? Any once-living thing would do; like tigraphant backbones with ribs making halls, and other bone constructed architecture 'fix-ups'?

Mandan the Archer
    Like the Elephant's Graveyard from the Lion King?

No evil hyenas, please.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Evil undead hyenas, perhaps

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ^ Oh yes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mandan the Archer
    The ruins are going to be filled with those things?

I'm gonna need more arrows.

Edit:

Question - how intelligent and active are the undead? Are they classic zombies? Are they more like I Am Legend / some other zombie film that I've probably not seen type critters, that are all jumping about all over the place and super-formidable? Are they magical Borg, where they'll ignore you until they consider you a threat, and then will just march towards you and "assimilate" you into their "collective"? Something else?

Also, are there any kind of material weaknesses, or materials that are naturally magical? Something I cooked up for a writing project ages ago (that used these elements) featured a lot of monsters / critters that had a natural, element alignment (based on the Chinese elemets). My vampires were metal for example... and because Chinese metal is weak to wood, that explained the stakes. I can't remember which one werewolves were, but it was the one weak to metal, hence the silver weakness... etc.

Something like that might be fun / cool, particularly if we're gonna make being magical so common.
    Last edited by Mandan the Archer; Sep 7th, 2010 at 02:15:20 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Tequila Satan
    Baroness Scorpion #1

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Sarah
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nuime Steam ID: Nuime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandan the Archer View Post
    The ruins are going to be filled with those things?

I'm gonna need more arrows.
    Psh! Skags go down easy... just wait until they open their mouths and shoot!

wait... wrong universe.

Drin Kizael
    Undead run the gamut on intelligence and such. Depends who is controlling them, and what kind they are. Silver is a fairly universal weakness for them across fantasy literature. Wood isn't so much a weakness for vampires as piercing anything through their heart is.

On the subject of metals, "cold iron" (which is just a poetic way of saying pure iron as opposed to steel) is the weakness for most other outsiders (faeries, demons, devils). In theory, metal magic can transmute a weapon into either of those elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Drin Kizael View Post
    Wood isn't so much a weakness for vampires as piercing anything through their heart is.
    That depends on your source material. Particularly in northern Europe, there is a lot of mysticism surrounding wood, especially when it comes to the slaying of mystical beings. Mistletoe, cypress, holly, alder... pretty much every wood from that part of europe is thought to have some sort of inherant magical power, and shows up a lot in the lore of slaying creatures.

Silver is commonly useful against monsters because it represents purity. However, I was more interested in Myth specifically, rather than "across fantasy literature".

Any of the big-wigs know if there was a decision made one way or another with Undead earlier on? I seem to remember us using Fire a fair bit during the fight as well... though to be fair, enough fire will kill anything, eventually. Is there an "easy" way to kill them, or is it just down to brute force and perceverence?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Unless there is something on the wiki, I'd say that nothing 'official' was decided for Myth

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I think it would be important not to call them zombies, because that brings to mind a thirst for human flesh and brains, which would not be accurate - at least not how I've pictured them. More like skeleton soldiers (or half rotted corpse soldiers)... maybe mindless in that they haven't risen up and taken over the world of the living YET but they protect the ruins of their cities from intruders.

Well, that's my thought on the matter anyway.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Necrids, Necrons, Skells, Necrims, Nusakari

Comedy option - Deadites

As far as killing them, I'm going to go with you'd have to burn them to ash to fully destroy them. Anything less is just delaying the inevitable.

Although a "silver kills them!" option might be nice. Not silver, persay, but something along those lines. But since this isn't anything our characters would know, it would have to be discovered by accident along the quest.

the new day arises from dark water

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112