Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Member of the Arbitrary Apostrophe Club
    Mmmmmm, DELICIOUS
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

I dunno, I was not a fan of Lord Beckett at all. His character didn't really make sense at the end. OR maybe I missed something.

Definately worth that trip I made. Good flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanial K'cansce View Post
    I dunno, I was not a fan of Lord Beckett at all. His character didn't really make sense at the end. OR maybe I missed something.

Definately worth that trip I made. Good flick.
    Well Beckett was just the new villain they pushed into the series. I didn't like him he always seemed slimly. At the same time I agree with you about him. They put up a lot of mystery about him in the first film like him and Jack had a huge past. Then there didn't seem much to it. Also Anybody else didn't like how they just did away with Norrington and Governor Swan so easily? I mean Swan should have had a death scene at least. I understood why they had him killed but it was a quick exit. Norrington also went out terribly. I guess they didn't want to keep around the other love interest

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I imagine it would have been a bit messy for Elizabeth to still be slightly conflicted between Norrington and Will, what with the 10 years apart and all. They gave him a noble end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I imagine it would have been a bit messy for Elizabeth to still be slightly conflicted between Norrington and Will, what with the 10 years apart and all. They gave him a noble end.
    Yeah I see that and at least he did do something nobel. Her father was worse I thought. They could have built up his death a little more

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

Saw it yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it for what it, and the other two "Pirates" films are... popcorn flicks. Though I do feel that the first film was the best of the three, some of the critiques of "Dead Man's Chest" and "At Worlds End" seem to be unnecessarily harsh. Yeah, there are plot holes and under-developed characters... just as there was in "Curse of the Black Pearl."

Geoffery Rush definitely stole the show as Barbossa.

Mydnyte Syn
    My fiance and I saw this film last night. We're both not sure how we feel about it. Did we like it? Did we not like it? We're not sure. Of course, we had four teens sitting behind us who just would not shut up so for the first 45 - 60 minutes of the film their not-so-hushed whispers prevented us from even hearing parts of the film. I finally got sick of it and turned around. After a rather sarcastic "Do you mind?!" they finally shut their yaps.

Right now all I can say - after that point - is that we were both bored and the effects were neat. We plan to watch it again on DVD in the privacy and comfort of our own home before saying if we liked it or not.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

So, why does everyone keep calling me Mr. Blonde?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EquableJarl0 PSN ID: TXViking43
    I liked it. It was enjoyable and the music was great.

I want to see it again.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Ok, I saw this film tonight. Let it not be forgotten that I absolutely love the first film. The second film was a disgrace and in spite of that, I actually went into the cinema with an open mind tonight, thinking "I might just be pleasantly suprised here".

So let's just start at the beginning, the aptly named At World's End, starts with a shambling, miserable hanging sequence. This is supposed to be a family film and frankly, I found this to be a woefully misjudged opening that just did not inspire any sympathy in my crusade to remain open minded.

Moving swiftly on, fifteen minutes in I was bored witless. I found the majestic sweeping shots of exotic locations to be nothing but the CGI department having delusions of grandeur with regards to what these films are. These films are supposed to be fun and family orientated and, well, follow on in the vein of the first one. These films are not Lord of the Rings.

My major grievances with the sequels lie with the plot. Or the criminal lack thereof. Bewildering audiences with pointles bloated expository rambling and ridiculous quantities of character allegiance shifts made me simply not care. If you're going to hide the fact that you don't have a plot at least hide it behind something with a semblance of substance or wit or depth.

I knew I'd enjoy Geoffrey Rush in the film. I did and it was good to have Barbossa back. Now, Jack Sparrow is so jarring in the sequels which is awful for me because I truly felt he was one of the most innovative characters to grace cinema screens for a long time following the first film. The studio simply thought: "Oh, they liked Captain Jack. Let's turn him into a kebab, let's fire him out of a cannon, let's make ten of him and remove any and all mystery as to why he is the way he is.

Orloondo Bland was repulsive. Someone should tell him that noone, even if they have a severe throat deformity, speaks like that in that breathy husky poncey whisper. He only does it when he acts(and I use this term very loosely) and he gets so much money for it. Orlando, stop doing Legolas! The Rings Trilogy has closed!

As for the other characters, all fall by the wayside regardless of how much contrived dribble the script throws at them to try and dredge them up from the murky waters of irrelevancy. Whether or not its from ruthless one-dimensional immortal squidman to crying misunderstood company lapdog squidman or from lady of the manor to King of the Pirates.

In the film's defense, I laughed at about sixty percent of the gags. Had I not, I don't know how I'd have had the stomach to remain in my seat. I honestly do not comprehend the praise the sequels have recieved. The only conclusion I can draw is that clearly we have been privy to different films and not the flat bloated meandering bore-a-thons to which I have been subjected.

I stayed up late to watch this film in the hope that I would be proven wrong. I was not and I'm am very unhappy about it and hope that memory erasing drugs are manufactured as quickly as possible so that I can return to The Curse of the Black Pearl unhindered by what came after.
    Agreed on every point here, I think. Very disappointing

The "plot" points were needlessly complicated. The characters, I could not bring myself to care about them the slightest. The acting was unconvincing, unintentionally laughable bad at times, especially the whispering "Legolas" (some pirate that!) and Tia Dalma with her overdone Jamaica accent (reminds me of the voodoo lady in Monkey Island). I strongly object to the direction of the sequels, trying to turn the fun and entertaining pirate adventure into a CGI loaded epic fantasy movie with pompous plot. It just ain't working. AWE took everything I did not like in DMC, and magnified it 20 times. The worst part is, I was bored out of my mind for most of the movie, almost sleep inducing. And even when it was not dull, I was rolling my eyes and shaking my head in disbelief at times. For example: Marriage in the middle of a battle, with canonballs flying all over the place and people fencing and dying, yeah right..

In fairness though, I felt the last 3/4th of the movie was vastly better, because of the action sequences and the effects, which made it somewhat entertaining finally, but too late. This movie was way too long, and failed to deliver on almost every single aspect.

POTC: 5/5
    POTC 2: 3.5/5
    POTC 3: 2/5

I actually loved the Marriage scene, Barbarossa's lines were classics during that scene. As I said I didn't mind any of it the movie reminds me of some of the Swashbuckling movies of the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Like Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Sea Hawk, and Count of Monte Cristo. Most of those movies had very little plot or very complicated ones. Read the Three Musketeers that had some outrageous stuff in there that is lightyears worse that Pirates (Dumas was an awful writer but a great entertainer). I just saw the movie as a popcorn film that was entertaining, but htat is just my opinion.

Just saw the movie, and I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Although I really enjoyed Dead Man's Chest, I thought At World's End was better than DMC, and almost as good as the first one. Yes it was long, but there was always something going on, and I was left at the end feeling like I'd seen one heck of a pirate movie, something that we haven't really seen in a long time. And I don't understand all the complaining from critics and other viewers who have said that it was too convoluted or confusing or whatever...I had no trouble following the story at all, and neither did my mother. If I have one complaint about movies today, it's that what passes for a script is just scenes patched together and there's not much story there at all. It was nice to see a movie that actually had something of a story going on.

Heck, to give you one idea as to how much I enjoyed the movie...usually I consider Orlando Bloom to be a girly-man, but at the end of the movie, all I could think was, Oh my gawd, he looks just like Errol Flynn!!!

BTW, Geoffrey Rush and Jack the monkey just about stole the show :clap.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    I enjoyed it very much. My favorite line of the whole thing has to be "King!" that Knightly quips at Rush when they are negotiating on the sand barge to shut him up.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    I loved almost every minute of it.

I cannot believe they killed Norrington. A pox on them!

and that is all..

Mr. Flux
    I was grinning with glee whenever Barbossa took the helm in the maelstrom and laughed manically. Oh Mr. Rush, will I ever tire of your onscreen antics?

Itala Marzullo
    Saw it, it was awesome and the end is a true shocker. It was just HILARIOUS, Jack Sparrow has never been better, the effects were stunning and outrageous, just what I like. I barely caught the last showing before they pulled it off the theather, how lucky!

My only complaint is that they didn't show the other pirate lords in action, but at least they left an open end for more adventures!

When I see all the negative word for movies like these, it's mind-baffling, do you honestly expect another Godfather everytime you walk into the theather? If all movies were amazing, then they would stop being amazing because none would stand out.

But like I said, the hell with pro critics and amateur critics, i loved this popcorn flick, and movies like these are the reason we have cinemas.
    Last edited by Itala Marzullo; Jul 6th, 2007 at 11:34:55 PM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

I don't expect another Godfather, but I do expect it to measure up to the previous movies, which I feel it did not. I also expect to be entertained, especially from a popcorn movie. I was bored to death the first 75% of the movie. The last 25% was entertaining though, but too late.

Itala Marzullo
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    I don't expect another Godfather, but I do expect it to measure up to the previous movies, which I feel it did not. I also expect to be entertained, especially from a popcorn movie. I was bored to death the first 75% of the movie. The last 25% was entertaining though, but too late.
    Heh, I wasn't, Jack Sparrow's comedy was gold, but I guess you have to dig the character, and I do, A LOT.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Well, there lies some of the problem. I thought he was infinitively more funny in the first movie, and even in the second movie. The gags did not work for me at all. So basically, the appeal would be in the action and special effects, and most of that came near the end.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    When I criticise a film, I don't judge it on what it should or could be but simply what it is and in my opinion, calling the sequels to Black Pearl rank average would be paying them a huge compliment.

KM 14
    Like I said, I loved it and will make a shiny addition to my collection.

Everyone in the room was laughing whenever Jack, Pintel & Ragetti, would do anything in the screen. The effects were just a bonus to me, I still think Jack Sparrow is the best character this decade.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    I just watched this movie again now that it is out on DVD, and I'm changing my favorite scene. The new fav scene would have to be Lord Beckett's stairway death walk. I thought it was well done with the music and sound effects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123