Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tour Guide

Pan

Open Roleplay [X-Men] The Tour Guide

A day had passed since his meeting with headmaster Ethan Daniels. That evening, he and Rob wasted no time packing their few belongings away and checked out of their motel first thing the following morning. By the time the bell rang for the day's first lesson, they were already settling into their new home, the institute for gifted youngsters. Later that day, they were both scheduled to have a further meeting with the headmaster to discuss their future in the school.

Duncan was alone in his room. Following breakfast Rob turned into a sparrow and took off out the bedroom window. He'd already unpacked his things but Duncan was content to live out his suitcase, at least until he'd amassed a large enough mountain of dirty clothing on the bedroom floor. The grounds were quiet except for a game of soccer being overseen by one of the teachers. There was a crackle followed by a bang and a bright red flash lit up the sky outside. A whistle blew. Outside, two boys were brawling on the grass but the teacher quickly broke it up.

The view was fantastic from his bedroom window but Duncan wasn't content with staying indoors. He wrapped a thick woollen scarf around his neck and pulled on a scruffy denim jacket. He found his room keys inexplicably inside on of Rob's dirty socks and headed out.

His room was on the third floor and he took the main stairs. Getting up the stairs was easy, even with a suitcase but he found getting downstairs a real task. He gripped the rail and slowly descended the staircase, guaging the distance for each step. His hoofs had no grip against the recently varnished floor, with each step there came a thud and occassionally, a squeak as he slipped and scratched the wood. At first, he tried whistling to relax and get the job done but it was too distracting and he had resorted to coaching himself with words of encouragement.

"Easy now, boy. Steady. Ok, next step. Whoops! Alright. Steady... steady... and..."

And suddenly, the bells rang signalling the end of lessons. One such bell was right over his head and startled him so much that he lost his footing and tumbled down the last flight of stairs. He tried to stop himself from falling with one hand while the other made sure his kilt remained strategically in place. He landed awkwardly on the hard floor.

"Christ Almighty!" he groaned and rubbed his hindquarters.

Sidney Burns
    "Are you okay?"

A plume of smoke wisped from underneath the stairs, the dim orange glow of a cigarette flaring before a gloved hand stubbed it out on the wall. Sidney eyed the boy curiously -- another newbie, but this one was at least interesting to look at. She remained seated under the stairs, dark eyes fixed on Duncan.

Pan
    "Ey?"

Duncan shifted his weight to see where the voice came from. He was suprised that someone had been sat there so quietly and even more suprised by her appearance. He didn't let that show. She didn't move.

"I'm just great. Nothing like starting your day with a wee catastrophe."

He returned his attention to getting off the floor. He pushed up with both arms, his legs flailed and hooves slid against the floor. He crashed back onto his rear. He tried again, legs kicking this way and that. In the end, he resigned and turned to the girl, who was watching him intently.

"Would ya give us a hand, lass?"

Sidney Burns
    She shifted, pressing the spent cigarette butt against the bare purple skin of her arm. There was a faint sizzle as it disappeared into her flesh. She got to her feet, moving in front of him and holding out a hand. A slight smile appeared on her lips.

"It could be worse."

Pan
    "Aye, that it could. I coulda ended up with me horns stuck in the floor and me kilt over me head. A fine sight that woulda been. I wonder where you'd have put out your cigarette then!"

He returned her smile and took her hand, after some difficulty he stood up. He didn't let go of her hand, instead he shook it.

"Cheers. I'm Duncan, by the way, but most people call me Pan. And who might you be?"

Sidney Burns
    "Sidney. But most people call me Sid."

She shook his hand, a little ackwardly, pulling away and clasping both hands behind her back. Mentally, she was kicking herself for sounding like such a dork. She sighed, rocking back on her heels. So much for looking cool.

Locksmith
    "And Sid shouldn't have to be reminded that there is no smoking on school grounds," a stern voice called from behind her. "Except, of course, that which comes naturally to her."

It was John Parker, the school's caretaker as well as being one of the teachers, among other roles. Treading as lightly as he could upon the wooden floor, the heavily-built, bearded man approached with a small grin. "Sorry about that, guess I might have over-done it on the floor polish, there."

Pan
    "Ah, it's nay problem."

Duncan folded his arms and inspected the floor.

"Ya did a fine job, man. A fine job. At least I get to see me pretty face when I land on it. I may have scratched ya good work a bit on me way down, though."

He stared at him for a moment, looking him up and down, head to toe, and smiled.

"You're a big fella. What do they call you at home?"

Locksmith
    "Anything but late for dinner," John replied, a grin playing on his face. "But seriously, I'm Johnathan Parker, call me John. Actually, I'm only one of the Johns around here, but I'm sure you'll meet the other later."

Extending his thick hand, he nodded his greeting, "Good to meet you, you must be Duncan. Ethan said we'd had a new member join the staff, he must have meant you. And, I see you've already met Miss Burns." Turning to her, John nodded hello as well, having already forgotten about the cigarette.

Sidney Burns
    The girl turned a slightly deeper shade of purple, but said nothing. She did move to Duncans' side, just in case John slipped on the floor as well.

Pan
    "Aye, Miss Burns here saved me from looking the fool before the rest of the student body. Wouldn't have made a good first impression now so we'll have to keep this wee incident our secret, right Sid?"

She stood by his side now, and John backed up against a wall as a stampede of youngsters thundered through the corridoor. Duncan watched them pass by, teenagers of all different shapes and colours and sizes. He grinned as the last one disappeared round a corner.

"It's nice to see so many different people from different backgrounds living under one roof without even a hint of discrimination. How long--"

He cut himself off suddenly and asked, "I was about to have a bit of a walk, you know, peruse the grounds and that. Would you both care to join me?"

Veritas
    An accelerating sound of wood and wingtips clacking on the tiles had made it to the staircase, and Henri Broussard gruffly pushed his spectacles up as he leaned on his walking cane.

"What is the ruckus?"

Sidney Burns
    <i>"Oh lovely."</i>

It took all her strength to keep her eyes from rolling - her normally quiet day was turning into something else entirely. Sid shook her head as Professor Broussard approached them.

"No ruckus here, sir. Just about to play tour guide."

Veritas
    "Good then. I am too slow to play babysitter, mademoiselle."

He looked to Pan.

"I've not been introduced. My name is Henri. Are you enrolled in my history lecture?"

Pan
    Duncan gave Sid a fleeting glance with an expression of thanks after she'd covered up for him. He didn't want to endure the tale of his tumble yet again. He shook the Frenchman's hand, his skin was rough.

"Duncan," he replied, "I'm not enrolled for any lectures, to be honest, man. Mister Daniels has taken me on as a member of staff. Isn't this a school for youngins, anyway?"

Veritas
    "Not exclusively." Henri replied with a quirk of the brow.

"We provide education at multiple levels of proficiency."

Locksmith
    "That we do," John agreed. "For instance, Henri here keeps trying to teach me how to play chess better, but I don't think I've got the head for it. Good morning Henri, I trust you're ready for the new school year."

Turning back to Duncan and Sidney, the large man clapped his hands together in front of himself, then asked, "Well, if you're looking for a tour guide, I'd suppose there's not many people here at the school who know the building quite as well as I do, and Miss Burns will definitely be able to give you the younger perspective to the campus. So, what would you care to see first? And, I might suggest we use the elevator, helps keep the stairs out of... danger." He hesitated on the last word, not wishing to spread his already damaged reputation father than it had gone.

Pan
    "Well, I'm easy. Lead the way!"

He felt suddenly surrounded and out of his depth. In truth, he had no idea what the school had to offer in terms of both education and facilities. He decided to play this one by ear and find out as much as he could about the Cullen Institute.

"Fancy a wee stoll, Henri?"

Veritas
    Henri hefted his cane slightly.

"If a slower pace does not bore you."

Pan
    "Nah, it'll be alright. Besides, if you fall behind, I'm sure Little John here will give ya a piggy back."

He turned to John.

"So, where to?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast