TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

2006's New TV Shows

There is always a rash of new TV shows that appear every year - some to run only a few episodes before collapsing under their own weight and disappearing forever. Some manage to run an entire season before they're cancelled, leaving their loyal viewers wondering what the hell happened to the characters.

Last season the theme was water based alien/invasion/unknown creatures that ruled the newcomers (Threshold, Surface, and Invasion anyone?), and none of those shows are back this year! 2006 brings a few new flavors to the mix, from comic book Heroes, to post-apocalyptic Jericho, as well as a recurring theme of Lost inspired programming (The Nine, Six-Degrees, and even Heroes - all these characters are connected somehow!)

Pick your favorite show/s and then tell us why you keep tuning back in.

JMK
    I'm really, really brutal. I have NEVER seen one episode from ANY of those shows listed. The reasons why are twofold: I'm always preferring to watch sports, and secondly, as you said, some shows run a few episodes and disappear forever, and some are cancelled after short runs. I can't be bothered to invest myself in a story & characters that will be whacked after a really short-lived life. I know I'm missing some gems, but such is life.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I'm watching three of them - Studio 60, Jericho, and Heroes. Studio 60 I have been DVR-ing but haven't watched the last two episodes yet because the hubby wants to watch it with me and we have been busy watching Lost, BSG, and Heroes. I watched last week's episode of Heroes (Collision) THREE TIMES last week.

Jericho I like because its about a small town in Kansas dealing with what might be the apocalypse/nuclear war. Its full of small town hokeyness, or what the writers seem to think is small town hokeyness, but it keeps me coming back every week because even though some of the characters are painfully cliche the story is just mysterious enough and terrifying enough to make me want to know what happens next. I really like it and my hubby almost likes it more than Lost (though the last ep. of Lost was so awesome I think he'll revise that opinion now).

Studio 60 is funny and I love Matthew Broderick.

Heroes is incredible - the pilot came off rather flat but the rest of the episodes so far have just kept getting better and better. I love my superpowered humans almost more than I love my post-apocalyptic dramas. *SWOON*

JMK, I totally understand. I get really frustrated when shows get cancelled mid-point into the story. Invasion is a prime example, though we at least got to watch an entire season of it. And, you can always just buy the DVDs afterwards if the show survives and its great.

I don't really watch tv these days. Too busy.

I'd just like to add that I think shows should get at least a full third of the year to develop before their plug gets pulled. Some shows with great premises get axed because the first couple of episodes don't immediately take off. This phenomenon pisses me off.

If a network won't commit to me (as a show writer/producer) I see no reason to commit to them, y'know?

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Erin
    Eh... I used to watch a lot more T.V. than I do now, but I am keeping up with Dexter on Showtime. So far it's very entertaining in a "he's nuts but my hero completely" sort of way.

I like Heroes the best of those shows. Mainly because it has great characters and a very good storyline.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I don't watch any of this, surprisingly, since it's all US stuff. The only thing that I watch at the minute is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm looking forward to the new series of Veronica Mars but I don't know when that starts.

I started watching Jericho but gave up 45 minutes into the second episode because I felt it was just too silly and dopey. (The whole thing with the teenagers and the kid who brought the can of Coke to the obnoxious girl and suddenly she liked him was just way too O.C. for me .)

I've been watching The Nine and have been enjoying it quite a bit, I think it's a good companion piece to Lost.

But by far my favorite new show is Heroes. What's so amazing to me is that I watched the first episode with very low expectations, thinking it was going to be a lame X-Men rip-off, and it's turned out to be just amazing. It's joined my list of shows where, if I miss an episode, I'll do this: .

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I read that (in regards to Jericho) the writers only got the studio to stop mucking around with their writing after the 5th episode - so if that's true then it should get better this week. The cliffhangers/previews of next week always keep me coming back for more. I do agree, however, the whole nerdy kid + obnoxious high school popular girl storyline is really annoying.

I like the Nine and wish it was more watched. It is struggling in the ratings right now.

I think another reason why I gave up on Jericho is because I'm simply watching too many serialized dramas to be able to handle another one. Lost is a serialized drama for sure, as are Heroes and The Nine, and Battlestar Galactica is pretty much one as well. So I don't know if I could watch one more without my head threatening to explode from trying to keep all the storylines straight .

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well with Rping being a hobby of mine, and keeping track of all my characters and their storylines, that isn't a problem for me 'cause I have a lot of practice. :mneh

TheHolo.Net Moderator

Stealing planets with a cunning use of flags!
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Park Kraken's Avatar
    The only two, or three shows I'm watching, of which only one has new episodes, is Robot Chicken, Family Guy, and Inuyasha.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Don't double vote

Oriadin
    Personally I think a lot of TV shows need 2 seasons to get going. The first season is too geared up for introducing the characters and building up stories. It isnt until you get to the second series that real character development takes place which is what puts a quality tv series well above a good film.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes but so many won't make it to season 2.

I dont' think we have to worry about Heroes being canceled, however. At least, I hope not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Yes but so many won't make it to season 2.

I dont' think we have to worry about Heroes being canceled, however. At least, I hope not!!!
    Heroes, from what I've heard, is considered a big hit and perhaps even the show that's saved NBC's bacon this season. So there should be no reason to fret about it's not seeing at least a second season.

Tonight is Monday, new episode tonight, wahoo!!!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

new episode new episode! *evacs to the Heroes thread*

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I just noticed that we have ABC, so I may have to start watching some US shows. Do they air anything worthwhile?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast